Anime

lightningxlock

2.0 is epic.

2.0 or 2.22 as the DVD is, is a mind fuck for fans of the series. Blind fan boys seem to detest it but i loved the changes, a real good film.

Oh and another one to watch, Serial Experiments Lain. I'm getting through it now and rather enjoying it, another headfuck "deep" anime.

Edited by Merzbow

The Patlabor movies are my favourite anime, Ive seen tons but I only really like Akira, GitS (1+2, series was okay too), Patlabor movies, Cowboy Bebop and maybe the odd thing here n there like Afro Samurai. I used to love 3X3 Eyes, but its been that long since Ive seen it.

Here are some that haven't been mentioned and my personal favs.

Basilisk is the best anime I have ever seen. Period. :thumbsup:

EDIT: A series about two warring ninja clans with incredible abilities.

This movie has everything with the biggest bastard of a villain I’ve ever seen.

Cannot recommend this enough, more people need to see this.

Whisper of the Heart is amazing and Ghilbli's most underrated movie. It's very slow paced and not an adventure as such, more of a coming of age type movie.

Grave of the Fireflies is absolutely heartbreaking and I struggle to watch that.

Gantz is extremely over the top, extreme violence full of horny teens and sex with the weirdo level amped up to 11.

Ergo Proxy best animation I have seen with a challenging and complex story and characters and a fantastic opening theme - Blade Runner but far more dark and disturbing.

Samurai Champloo is also worth a watch, samurai era action series fused in with hip hop and it works incredibly.

Fist of the North Star 1980s classic - blood and violence.

Sword of the Stranger - out of the new animes, this one stood out personally, amazing art style, epic music and a decent story makes this a good one to watch.

Monster City - demons invade Toyko and take it over. Old favourite.

Winds of Amnesia - a huge gush of wind wipes out 99% of the worlds populations memory - very good movie.

Wicked City - demons live amongst humans, full of violence and sex.

Edited by Jas

2.0 or 2.22 as the DVD is, is a mind fuck for fans of the series. Blind fan boys seem to detest it but i loved the changes, a real good film.

Fuck 'em, I liked the addition of Mari.

Oh and another one to watch, Serial Experiments Lain. I'm getting through it now and rather enjoying it, another headfuck "deep" anime.

Anything with characters designed by Yoshitoshi ABe is worth checking out, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei are mandatory viewing. I'm gutted that Despera has been stalled.

GitS (1+2, series was okay too)

Stand Alone Complex is one of the most plausible depictions of the not-too-distant-future that I've ever seen.

Edited by Vito

Im surprised no one has said Akira yet. I love that film.

You're at least the third person to mention it.

I'm kinda surprised nobody's mentioned Azumanga Daioh yet. Anything animated by SHAFT is also gold; Pani Poni Dash, Negima, Hidamari Sketch, the Zetsubo Sensei series, Maria Holic, Bakemonogatari and Puella Magi Madoka Magica are all worth spending time on.

You're at least the third person to mention it.

I'm kinda surprised nobody's mentioned Azumanga Daioh yet. Anything animated by SHAFT is also gold; Pani Poni Dash, Negima, Hidamari Sketch, the Zetsubo Sensei series, Maria Holic, Bakemonogatari and Puella Magi Madoka Magica are all worth spending time on.

Ah my mistake!

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Any mentions for Perfect Blue or Wings Of Honneamise yet?

I had a major anime phase just before I went to uni, and they used to show a lot of it on Channel 4 during 4Later and on Paramount before it became all comedy. I remember really enjoying Dominion Tank Police and Project A-Ko especially, but the two aforementioned films are absolutely amazing. Perfect Blue is incredibly good, espcially.