Anime

lightningxlock

• Paid Members
Gladstone - I'm surprised you like anime, because you seem to have quite the downer on comic book movies. Is it just American superhero stuff you dislike?

It was really just a brief flirtation, like I say. I'm not sure I've watched an anime film since Spirited Away (which is excellent).

I'm not a comic book fan at all, and the constant stream of films irritates me immensely mainly because that's all that seems to be in Empire these days - I might as well just tear out Kim Newman's Video Dungeon and leave the rest in WH Smith.

I'd never really thought about it, though, I have to admit. Mind you, Perfect Blue and Wings Of Honneamise, which are probably my favourite anime films, feel like films that could easily have been shot live action, so I don't know if there is something to be said there.

I get some of your point - I suppose I can easily understand the dislike for, say, superhero stuff (because that's a specific genre), whereas I never really understand the writing off of an entire medium.

• Paid Members

I didn't really do that, though.

I have obviously seen some films based on comic book characters that I've liked - the Michael Keaton Batman and the original Superman films were excellent. I'm sure there are a few others. So I'm not writing off an entire medium at all.

My issue is that I really have largely never connected with the medium and the general mythology of it and as such when you get a flood of films based on the medium clogging up one of the two magazines you buy regularly, when it's not gibbering on about Harry Potter or the fact that George Lucas has added an extra farting Stormtrooper to Return Of The Jedi, it's annoying.

Plus you're getting fucking Superman franchise reboots only, what, three or four years after it returned in the first place? I just cannot buy into that at all.

I'm not damning the whole medium at all, it's just that my experience with comic books, which hasn't been a passing thing at all, both my best friends are comic book nuts and so I'm exposed to them a lot, has been one of mostly boredom and apathy. That said, I find what little exposure I've had to Alan Moore as a person rather than an artist and writer, to be enthralling.

• Paid Members

And that's mostly fair - and I know it's often hyperbole, but you have been pretty scathing about comic books and comic book movies before.

Totally agree on stuff like the Superman franchise reboots - there aren't many franchises where, if something doesn't work, it's completely relaunched. It'd be like rebooting the Harry Potter franchise now. Which would be stupid.

On the other hand, if they got it wrong before (and Superman Returns was fucking atrocious), I've no problem with them trying to do it better. Rebooting Spider-Man now though is jaw-dropping.

That said, if they could make some of the less-superheroey and more-interesting stuff, like, say, Preacher or Transmetropolitan, I think it could be a real game-changer. Watchmen could have been really interesting, but ended up being....well, boring.

To briefly come back to the anime subject, I was recently lent Spiral, which is batshit insane. Never lives up to it's early promise, but ends up becoming very entertaining anyway.

• Paid Members
Hasn't there also been rumors that they are already planning to reboot the Batman franchise if Nolan and Bale don't return after Rises? if so thats fucking mental.

Yep. Current rumours are that it would be closer to the comics as they currently are. It's partially because Nolan's version can't really interact with real 'superheroes', so they need a version that can in order to copy Marvel and build up to a Justice League of America movie.

I expect along with a lot of folk my age Guyver was a huge part of my early look at Anime. One of them actually has the hand painted background with the cel, its one of the Zoanoids.

Thats true, one of my first animes was Guyver but back then I called them manga lol, I managed to get all 3 guyver model kits when I went to japan years ago, good job too, because now they cost a bomb

Edited by The Total Package

Forgive my ignorance but what is the name of the animation/anime that appears to have Rick Rude in it?

Someone had a pic of it in their sig but i have not seen it for a while, and I am interested in what its called? And whether its worth tracking down?

*edit* Found it, not anime, it was Metalopocalypse. Doh.

Has anyone mentioned Blue Sky yet? Does that qualify?

In addition to all those that people have mentioned, I wanted to add Vampire Hunter D as a personal favourite.

Edited by Poopants the Scrunge

• 3 years later...
  • Paid Members

Thread resurrection. I'm probably last to the party but I noticed my PS4 has a new app called Crunchyroll. It's basically a ton of Anime and live action Japanese movies/shows and it's all free with adverts.

Here's the thing though I have no idea where to start. It has the complete 150+ episodes of Fist of the North Star which I might give a shot. I have the first 30 or so on DVD and thought it was fun so it might be a good place to start but it's abit daunting.

Any recommendations? I'm into the manga entertainment classics but haven't had much experience other than those and a handful of more modern series. I'm thinking something like Wicked City, Bubblegum Crisis, Guyver, FOTNS, Violence Jack. But something available on Crunchyroll. Having browsed I've seen pretty much nothing.

There's loads Ultraman and Godzilla in the live action section too. I love me some Kaiju.

Is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure still on there? It's a modern anime but the source material is all from the days of the stuff you like, some ultra macho violence and a good dose of humour (especially in the 3rd part, Stardust Crusaders). The masculinity levels go right off the fucking chart, possibly 2nd only to FOTNS.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Funnily that's the only thing I've watched so far. The first episode. It's the kind of thing but the animation seemed abit basic and kind of nonsensical. That's not to say I wont stick with it further. I found it pretty amusing if a little too silly.

• Paid Members

I think I'm going to stick with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I've just watched the next 2 episodes and its barking mad but its the right kind. Still a tad nonsensical but its a lot of fun in small doses.

I always wondered how anime is scheduled on Japanese telly. I mean is JoJo wedged in between their version of the One Show and Eastenders?

I know fuck all about Anime, bar Studio Ghibli I haven't seen anything not called Akira. But I did watch Ghost In The Shell yesterday and loved it. I'm going to scour Netflix for some of the recommendations in this thread. Death note is something I've heard of so I'll look out for that.