SummerSlam Memories

warlord

Looking back now, Summerslam 93 showed how good Marty Jannetty could be at carrying an opponent, Ludvig Borga looked killer in that match!

Any Bret match.

The Steiners vs The Heavenly Bodies

Tripper vs HBK

Kurt Angle wrestling the main event of 2000 with a concussion!

Liz's distraction in 88!

HBK and The Model fighting over who got to carry Sherri back to the locker room (and Sherris outfit in that match!)

Test vs Shane

Punk vs Hardy, with a great Taker moment at the end!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

summerslam is always a special show and it bookended my first wwf fandom run.

the first wwf event i ever saw was summerslam 92 of course as it was a big deal at the time and that was my first wwf show (although id been watching wcw for a year prior). kept watching until my dad stopped getting sky right after summerslam 95 which for the most part was a shit show.

then after leaving the army i went home to find my mum had bought an ondigital box (remember them?) and the first ppv event was summerslam 1999 - i had no clue who most of the guys where like.

so yeah 12 years on and summerslam has had some great moments and matches. obviously bret vs bulldog was a great highlight. other matches from the summer extravaganza i really liked were TLC from Summerslam 2000, Rey vs Angle and Benoit vs RVD in 2002, Michaels bumping like a madman for Hogan in 2005 and Daniel Bryans return last year.

SS 88 was first ever WWF video so its still special to me. I just love the whole video package surrounding the main event. The Brother Love show with Jesse Ventura being bribed, Savage getting attacked by DiBiase and Andre while Virgil made Elizabeth watch, Savage announcing his partner " I got me a tag team partner, and he's the greatest partner that anybody in the world could ever have.....AND HERE HE COMES RIGHT NOW" Cue The Hulkster's music and the fans going batshit. :thumbsup:

Love the Demolition-Harts match too. Demolition looked badass and the ending was great. Who could forget Warrior destroying Honky Tonk Man in 38 seconds? Big Bossman destroying Koko B Ware?

Pretty much all the Summerslam events have been great, for me its probably the most consistent event. And as was pointed out in the Mr Summerslam thread, it really did seem that the event was custom made for Bret Hart. The aforementioned tag at '88, the tag with the Brainbusters at '89, the 2 out of 3 at SS '90 against Demolition, his classic with Mr Perfect in 91, the Wembley classic with The Bulldog, his really intense matches with both Doink and Jerry Lawler in '93, his Steel Cage match with Owen in '94 and his superb match with Undertaker in '97. His match was good with Issac Yankem, but not up to the previous standards he had set.

• Paid Members

SummerSlam 89, the whole thing. It's fucking brilliant.

some highlights for me

SS 89 intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Csds2esIi4

Piper's nutty interview with Mean Gene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1eR46p6Rdo

Hogan/Beefcake vs Savage/Zeus build up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vsatw98ioY

and one I never saw till years later, Mean Gene says 'fuck it'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VV0Dcj1zPI

had a bit of everything SS 89. Some cracking matches (Warrior/Rude, Harts/Brainbusters and the Santana/Rockers vs Martel/Rougeaus 6 man), a nice short match with Perfect and the Red Rooster and a fun 6 man full of massive fuckers like Andre, Akeem etc. All that plus the Schiavone/Ventura commentary.

Still my favourite Summerslam.

Test vs. Shane, Love Her Or Leave Her.

I'm not joking when I say this is probably the match I have ever been most emotionally invested in. 12 year old LaGoosh was dying for Shane to get his deserved punishment. A truly great sports-entertainment stlye match and to this day it holds up. I'm not joking when I say it's a 5 star match.

Agreed this match was awesome from start to finish and i loved all the stuff with the Mean Street Posse(who for once weren't wearing sweater vests).

In fact that whole event was a cracker IIRC. D-Lo/Double J was a great opener for the IC and European titles, The tag team turmoil match was great and one of the few times i've enjoyed that kind of match. Al Snow/Bossman with Road Dogg's running commentary was a barrel of laughs. Ivory/Tori was a decent woman's match and certainly better than some of the crap we get now, the Blackman/Shamrock Lions Den match was brilliant and a gimmick match i'd love to see get brought back. Big Show and Undertaker/ Kane and X-Pac was canny good as was Rock/Billy Gunn(despite the daft "Kiss my ass" stip.)

Austin/HHH/Mankind was IMO a brilliant main event which i don't think gets enough praise.

Archived