SummerSlam Memories

warlord

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

SummerSlam 97. I can remember the finish exactly. I love this match, there was such tension between Bret and HBK, and it kick started the Taker/HBK feud which would end up with Hell in a Cell. Awesome.

HHH and HBK's match in 2002 is also a personal favourite.

Watching the 1989 Summerslam on tape over and over again, I'd nicked it from a neighbour and was the only tape i had at the time, still love it.

Summerslam 1992 and my Uncle jumping off the Sofa and letting out a huge cheer when Bulldog won, and my 9 year old friend looking at him like a he was a huge twat.

Going into school the day after Summerslam 94 and my friend going "Oh my god, WHAT A SUMMERSLAM" when I asked him how it was, I took the piss out of him for years about that.

Having no choice but to knock one out downstairs in the living room during Summerslam 97 when Sunny came out in THAT Silver spandex getup.

Summerslam 2000, great PPV from start to finish.

mega powers v mega bucks

warrior v honky - was watching it on it's first showing and was gutted brutus was out of commision, was such a shock when warrior steamed down and won the belt in record time

Bossman v birdman was a good short match

harts v demolition ss88

hart v brain buster

rockers and tito v rougheaus and model

twin towers and andre v demolition and duggan

hart v perfect

kamala v taker

hart v bulldog

hart doink lawler

hart v hart

razor v shawn

kid v hakushi

shawn v vader

bret v taker

test v shane

austin angle

hbk hogan

SummerSlam '91 was the first WWF pay-per-view I ever saw. We'd just got cable that summer and I'd been collecting the cards for a while and just got my first WWF magazine (I still strongly remember the Bulldog cover and the SummerSlam advert which was either on the back cover or inside the mag: http://www.xheadlines.com/posters/SummerSl...Slam%201991.jpg I may have seen WrestleMania VII on VHS that my mate had taped off the telly before this, but SummerSlam was the first big event I ever saw at the first broadcast. All of it was so magical. Bossman vs Mountie was probably my highlight, but I was well into Bret winning the Intercontinental with his family there, and Hogan and Warrior tagging up in the main event. And Virgil winning the Million Dollar belt. And everything really, the six-man, the LOD, even Greg fucking Valentine.

SummerSlam '92 was, of course, the big one. Warrior vs Macho Man and Bret vs Bulldog. That summer had the cut-outs in the paper which have been discussed frequently on here, and it just seemed massive. It was on a Saturday but it wasn't on telly until the Monday or Tuesday or something. I remember we went to a car boot/summer fete thing on the Sunday and one of the Sunday papers had "SummerSlam results" on the cover, I desperately wanted it but my parents wouldn't get it. I'm glad as well, because it would've taken away the genuine drama of watching it when it came on. Me and my next door neighbour had a bet on the Bret-Bulldog match. My money was on Davey, hers was on the Hitman. The Muslim lad down the road had told us his mate who'd been to SummerSlam said Bret won, but I wasn't paying up until seeing it for myself.

I watched SummerSlam '93 at my sister's house, we must have had Sky Sports cut off. My lasting memory of it is being so disappointed with the main event. I was right on the Lex Express that summer and couldn't fathom why everyone was acting chuffed that he'd won by count-out, thus failing to win the title.

Luger-Tatanka is the thing that sticks out from SummerSlam '94 for me. I was never a big Bret Hart fan, and my interest in the Undertaker thing peaked with WWF Magazine's photos of him at the Taj Mahal and that. Perhaps I was more interested in Bret vs Owen and Underfaker at the time than I'm remembering, but I recall being really into the Luger/Tatanka "who's sold out to DiBiase?" story.

Similarly, the thing I recall being most into at SummerSlam '95 was Barry Horowitz vs Skip. I'd loved the initial 123 Kid storyline, and this was quite similar, so I must have just been mad into underdog stories as a kid. The ladder match was great as well, but I don't have much memory of anything else on the card. I remember the Isaac Yankem vignettes more than his match with Bret.

For the next few years, I was in Ireland for most of August so missed SummerSlam. In 1996, I got the bloke at the village pub to switch on Sky Sports, but the pub was packed and every other fucker in there didn't want wrestling on so it only stayed on for the first match, Savio Vega vs Owen Hart (which I think Bradshaw interfered in?). I didn't see any of '97 or '98 at the time, but I did watch in 1999 and my main memory of that is not giving a fuck about any of the Jesse Ventura stuff.

I watched it in 2000 at my mate's house after a night out. I was getting into the right stereotype by then, I remember watching the TLC match and going "why do they need to do that? They're all good wrestlers" which must have been just repeating something I'd read in Powerslam.

2001 was the last one I missed. I'd just got my own PC and Internet access, so I think I followed results online for a bit instead of watching.

2002 was another one watching at a mate's house after a night out, I believe. I remember the cracking Angle vs Mysterio match (and the "I just got pinned by a freakin' twelve-year-old!" in the build-up), and the Michaels streetfight return. I think I fell asleep before Rock vs Brock, I've still never seen that match in full.

In the summer of 2003 I was homeless, and kipped at a mate's house for a night which happened to be the night SummerSlam was on. I think. I've definitely seen SummerSlam 2003 and can't think of any other way I'd have watched it at the time, although I started at university in September and there was a tape of it going around, but I think I'd watched it before that. Nothing on the show really stuck out to me besides the completely unexpected and brilliant Coach heel turn.

SummerSlam 2004, I thought Batista didn't deserve to be in an Intercontinental title match. I wasn't into much else on the show, besides Matt Hardy vs Kane. It was right after SummerSlam that I fell in love with the JBL character, when he was wearing the halo (courtesy of being chokeslammed through the limo) and babbling.

2005 was the last one I watched in company, I think. I remember being pissed off that Edge beat Matt Hardy so easily, and we were laughing at how ridiculous the Hulk Hogan vs Shawn Michaels match was.

2006, all that sticks out to me is how shit and botchtastic Sabu was in his match against Big Show. That was the highlight of the show for me.

The ones since then are too recent for me to reminisce about, but the highlights include: Nothing in 2007... The formation of Glamarella and what's still my favourite Cena vs Batista match in 2008... The surprisingly competitive DX vs Legacy match in 2009... And the tremendous main event last year.

tl;dr?

Back in 1993 I found the whole Luger V Yokozuna really exciting. If they had the same match at Summerslam now though with the Champion loosing by countout, all hell would break loose!

I couldn't really be bothered with the whole 'Lex Express' thing, so I wasn't all that excited for the match, but after watching I can't see why it gets shat on by so many. All things considered It wasn't a bad match at all imo. I wish they could've re-signed someone like the Warrior for that spot though, Luger was much better as the Narcissist.

I just watched that Rey/Angle match from '02 a few nights ago, and it's definitely one of the great sub-10 minute sprints. Great stuff. The crowd were loving it too, especially that spot with the ref blocking the dive only for Rey to flip over him. Edge/Eddy and Benoit/RVD were good stuff too. It's a shame Summerslam generally turned all mediocre after that year.

I enjoy the whole event (barring Batista/JBL) but Jericho/Cena from Summerslam 2005 is one of my favourites that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Had the Monday off work for the event, so seshed it all day and was really looking forward to it. Ended up passing out early on during Hardy/Edge and then I came round halfway through the Orton/Taker match. Started feeling alive again when the WWE Championship match was on and really believed that Jericho was going to win it as the match went on. Shame that he lost, but it was a really enjoyable match on the night.

i love watching summerslam almost as much as mania each year, due to the potential at each event to have a show stealing match. my favourite matches in no particular order

bret v davey - summerslam 92

bret v perfect - summerslam 91

123 kid v hakushi - summerslam 95

bret v owen - summerslam 94

TLC 1 - summerslam 00

shane mcmahon v test - summerslam 99

michaels v triple h - summerslam 02

hardy v punk - summerslam 09

Summerslam holds a place in my heart as the 1991 edition was the first show I ever watched. So in a way this show marks my 20th year as a fan :thumbsup:

A lot of great Bret Hart moments for me with Bret Vs Mr Perfect, Vs British Bulldog and vs Doink and Jerry The King Lawler all classics. His tag efforts vs Demolition and vs Brain Busters were things of beauty as well.

Random fav memory is Tatanka's heel turn.

91 remember a guy at school lending the tape to people, he lent it to me, he never got it back.

Kerry von Erich, Steambot and Bulldog in an opening match 6 man. Certified legends

It was at MSG

Perfect's selling of the sharpshooter, he made this hold look so painful. I know he had a back injury and looked pained through out the match always wanted to know if this was more to do with his sellling ability. He truly passed the torch this night, maybe too much, not sure he recovered to his perfect status. By the end of the match bret was a singles superstar and the sharpshooter was the deadliest submission in wrestling far surpassing the scorpion death lock.

The Legion of Doom finally getting the tag titles in a street fight. Always good at this time.

Elizabet wiiil u marrrryyy meee?

Bobby Heenan at Hogans dressing room door with the NWA belt, talking about Ric Flair "the real worlds champion" these were exciting times.

The Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan in a tag team.

Colonel Mustafas gut wrench suplex, maybe just me.

Classic. Love it.

Archived