The WWE Hall Of Fame

Vito

Whilst browsing Wikipedia for information for another thread I started reading the page for disgruntled WWE Hall Of Famer "Superstar" Billy Graham, apparently Graham wishes to be removed from the HOF as a protest against one of this years inductees; Abdullah The Butcher.

On April 2011, Billy Graham stated he wanted out of the WWE Hall of Fame stating "For the WWE to induct into their Hall of Fame, Abdullah The Butcher, who has never wrestled one match under a WWE contract, is bordering on blasphemy. I am demanding that this company remove my name from their index of Hall of Fame wrestlers. It is a shameless organization to induct a bloodthirsty animal such as Abdullah The Butcher into their worthless and embarrassing Hall of Fame and I want the name of Superstar Billy Graham to be no part of it. The WWE and their Hall of Fame is disgustingly embarrassing, I want out."

This got me thinking about how HOF eligibility and how it actually works. As the number one professional wrestling company in the western world I feel that the WWE has a responsibility to honour the legacies of great wrestlers, even those who never worked for the WWE. After doing some more Wiki-ing I learned that WCW also had their own Hall Of Fame, some of the inductees have been inducted into the WWE's HOF with a few exceptions; Wahoo McDaniel, Masked Assassin, Ole Anderson, Dick The Bruiser and perhaps the most surprising being Lou Thezs, whose Lou Thezs Press has been referenced on an almost weekly basis for about twenty years.

So, should the WWE's Hall Of Fame be for WWE performers only? Or as the only game in town do they have a responsibility to induct iconic or legendary performers regardless of who their employers are or were?

I guess an interesting discussion topic on the subject would be Sting.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't Billy Graham sell his HOF ring on eBay like two years ago?

Allegedly it was because he asked Vince if the HOF was ever going to be an actual building that people could visit and Vince said no.

Apparently WWE do want to make the hall of fame into an attraction and are just deciding where it would be best in the USA. Im sure in the right place a Hall of Fame and WWE Experience with a few Axxess type attractions would do weel

It could be another WWF New York though. Their best bet might be to do it as an extension to the tower.

• Paid Members

I think for practical reasons WWE needs to own some footage of the person they're inducting, outside of that I don't feel they have to have worked for WWE. I also think the person or their family should agree to be inducted an take part. As such someone like Sting would be eligable but not until he's free from TNA.

I actually love the idea of there being an actual Hall of Fame to visit, imagine Madame tussauds style wax works and some memorablia on display. But as pointed out, it does have the potential to become another WWE New York, which didn't really work well enough.

I think for practical reasons WWE needs to own some footage of the person they're inducting, outside of that I don't feel they have to have worked for WWE. I also think the person or their family should agree to be inducted an take part. As such someone like Sting would be eligable but not until he's free from TNA.

I'm in two minds about Sting. On one hand I appreciate that the WWE wouldn't want its fans finding its latest HOF inductee on another wrestling program, but how many WWE fans would even care enough to bother? The 'E occasionally references Hulk Hogan who is not only the keyfabe owner said "other promotion" but is almost certainly a bigger draw than Sting. I don't think Sting being inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame, assuming that he'd actually want to, would make any difference at all.

• Paid Members
I'm in two minds about Sting. On one hand I appreciate that the WWE wouldn't want its fans finding its latest HOF inductee on another wrestling program, but how many WWE fans would even care enough to bother? The 'E occasionally references Hulk Hogan who is not only the keyfabe owner said "other promotion" but is almost certainly a bigger draw than Sting. I don't think Sting being inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame, assuming that he'd actually want to, would make any difference at all.

I would imagine that his TNA contract would prevent him from accepting the invitation though.

Archived