Holiday Money

Steve Justice

Couldn't think of a better thread title. Sorry.

Basically I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks. It's been a while since I travelled abroad and was wondering the best methods of carrying/storing the money I'll be taking. Obviously cash is one option, but are travellers cheques still used and accepted (I'm going Majorca) in most places? I've heard about a travel card that the Post Office do, which acts like a debit card that you can top up like you can a PAYG phone. I like the idea of that, but again, do most places accept them or will I need to track down a cash point in order to get the money? I'm going to quite a remote area of the island so I don't really want to be stuck not being able to pay for something or being in need of cash.

Also, I'm not that clued up on exchange rates and when best to or where best to get my money changed., Any help with this too would be appreciated.

• Awards Moderator

The MyTravel cash cards are decent, Steve. No charge for withdrawing from any ATM overseas and can be used anywhere that accepts MasterCard, which is pretty much any decent shop/bar/restaurant. I always use a similar one when I go away to the States but I imagine it'll be just as handy in Spain. You've not even got to get off your arse to get one!

The MyTravel cash cards are decent, Steve. No charge for withdrawing from any ATM overseas and can be used anywhere that accepts MasterCard, which is pretty much any decent shop/bar/restaurant. I always use a similar one when I go away to the States but I imagine it'll be just as handy in Spain.

Yeah I'm really edging towards it. I've ordered one anyway in anticipation. I suppose the good thing with it is should I lose my wallet or it get stolen I've not lost all the cash I would no doubt have in there.

Although I am in a remote part of the island, I'll be travelling quite a bit to the more lively spots most days. My main concern is on an evening or those days I don't travel. Where I'm staying is just the hotel, a shop that's only open for 3 hours a day and one restaurant. Nothing else around (bar the residents of the area) for a good 6-7 miles.

Yeah I'm really edging towards it. I've ordered one anyway in anticipation. I suppose the good thing with it is should I lose my wallet or it get stolen I've not lost all the cash I would no doubt have in there.

Although I am in a remote part of the island, I'll be travelling quite a bit to the more lively spots most days. My main concern is on an evening or those days I don't travel. Where I'm staying is just the hotel, a shop that's only open for 3 hours a day and one restaurant. Nothing else around (bar the residents of the area) for a good 6-7 miles.

Then just withdraw some extra money while you're at the lively parts, you're worrying too much Steve.

It's sort of a catch 22, I don't like to have too much cash on me (because of the losing/stealing situation), but I also don't like to fork out on safes at the hotel either. They cost too much, and they aren't that safe. On previous travels my room safes have been broken into twice. The travel card is probably the best solution to both of these as it is insured by all accounts. I probably am worrying too much, but once bitten and all that.

What about the exchange rate? I can see it's on the incline, I'm tempted to wait a few days to try and claw those extra few Euro's, but not knowing how these things work and what to look out for I don't know whether it's a good idea to buy now in case it declines.

Archived