Do You Support A Second Football Team? If So, Why?

David

So, every football fan has their first team that they support. Usually their local or hometown side, or in the case of Scotland it depends on what religion you or your parents are, but most football fans also follow a second side.

For me, that second side is Liverpool. I've always followed them since I was a kid. I remember I got the home & away shirts with Candy on the front (remember that dodgy grey away shirt?). My attraction to Liverpool was based on the fact that they seemed to be a club made up of a fair number of Scots, and those Scots were usually the best players we had in our national team.

Alan Hansen, Kenny Dalglish, Steve Nicol, Gary Gillespie and so on.

After a few years I also came to learn that one of my first clubs best ever players, Ian St John, also played for Liverpool, which added to the attraction.

• Paid Members

My second team is Manchester United. My Dad used to buy me posters of Giggs and Cantona when I was a young lad (even though I didn't really follow football at that point), despite him being a Liverpool fan.

I started to get into football the tale end of the Cantona-era and naturally United were the team I'd watch on TV (as they were the only team I had a clue about). Add that into the fact they were uber successful and you have a new 'plastic' fan.

My first team is East fife, so I deserve some glory.

My second team is usually another team in a different league, for example in Spain I support Atletico Madrid as we used to go on holiday in Madrid quite abit when I was younger. Then they had to go and beat us in the Europa League final, cunts.

There are teams I like and teams I hate in the Premier League, but I wouldn't say I supported anyone other than Fulham.

• Paid Members

When I was a kid, I liked West Ham and Celtic because Cottee and McAvennie were my favourite players. These days I'd consider Celtic my second team. When Hull were in the bottom division, I still followed West Ham too, as my "good" team. These days though, I don't have any love for them whatsoever.

Being a good Catholic boy, I follow Celtic. I suppose that makes them my second team.

I also follow Parkgate in the whatever-league-they're-in. They play against Scaborough, Hallam, Maltby, Bridlington and some other Northern Monkeys. Some of my mates help run the club, do programmes etc.

I kinda had a 2nd team for a long time, York City. But i don't follow them much anymore, except to just check how they get on each week.

The reason for this is because they came to play a friendly on the Isle of Wight about 16/17 years ago when i was about 11. My parents got chatting to the then manager Alan Little and asked if me and my brother could come and train with the team as we were going on holiday to York soon. He said yes and maybe surprisingly we actually got to! It was chucking it down with rain allday but me and my brother took part in the full training session and obviously loved it.

Alan Little then kept tin touch with us while he was manager there. I remember my delight when they beat Man Utd a couple of seasons later.

Closest I've got to a second team is probably Man Utd. I've had a soft spot for them ever since they stopped Newcastle winning the league 15 years ago and saved me a lifetime of grief in the process, plus I worked in Manchester for 3 years, and most of my friends down there are Utd fans.

That said, I got so annoyed at the way Fergie, Rooney, Giggs et al went on last season that I supported Barca in the Champions League final, so it obviously only extends so far.

• Moderators

For years my second team was Sampdoria. I used to bum Football Italia on 4, and I loved that Sampdoria team. Pagluica, Platt, Gullit, Mancini, Lombardo, Jugovic, Mihajlović, PIETRO MOTHERFUCKING VIERCHWOD! What a team. Lovely to watch, and top kits as well.

• Paid Members

United were "the" team when I was a young Nicko Loco, thus I've always wanted them to do well in terms of the trophy hunt, knowing that poor ol' Norwich wouldn't be catching up with them anytime soon.

These days though, I've a real soft spot for Bristol Rovers. 'Twas the first away ground I ever visited with Norwich and their fans were superb with us. I've always kept an eye out for them and felt dreadfully sorry for them getting relegated last season. I think they'll do well this coming campaign though.

Generally I keep up to date with most of the local outfits in Norfolk as well, though the only one I've properly gone to see play are King's Lynn, pre-administration.

For years my second team was Sampdoria. I used to bum Football Italia on 4, and I loved that Sampdoria team. Pagluica, Platt, Gullit, Mancini, Lombardo, Jugovic, Mihajlović, PIETRO MOTHERFUCKING VIERCHWOD! What a team. Lovely to watch, and top kits as well.

What a show that was. Everything was ace, the theme music, James Richardson's coolness - especially when he used to review the papers with a morning coffee in some kind of sexy taverna, the commentators, the kits. My team was Juventus, simply because Baggio was a hero. I had a proper Juve shirt with Baggio 10 on the back. Conte was ace in midfield, Peruzzi in the net and a winger who I can't remember but who I loved.

Not really. I sometimes go watch Folkestone Invicata play. I'll chant, sing and all that. Can't say I really support them though because I don't really care if they win or not... and Folkestone Town were the original.

For many I guess England are their second team. Not for me though; that team is full of shite.

When I was young and didn't know any better I had a tonne of Man Utd shirts, videos and the like. But, I don't really care for them now.

One team I always look out for the in the results is Tottenham, though that can change at any time. In fact, I think my naughty crush may be moving onto Liverpool. But, really, I don't have a second team I just choose a Premier League team to like in any given year so watching football is fun.

I don't have a second Scottish team but my English team are Everton. Mainly because one of my best mates since school's Dad is from Liverpool and is a life long Evertonian and whenever we went round he'd always be talking about Everton.

Been to Goodison park a few times in the last couple of seasons as well.

• Paid Members
I had a soft spot for Norwich in the mid nineties. Basically ever since I saw the Crane Kick Volley from Welsh hero Jeremy Goss against Bayern. What a couple of seasons that man had.

Interesting you mention that, he's currently doing a charity bike ride back to Bayern and two other European grounds we visited that year.

Link

That first season and a half for the club were absolute magic. It's quite frightening in a way how far we managed to fall after that Bayern game when Walker left and then even further the next season.

Archived