Buildings That Don't Exist Anymore

Max Power

My old school has recently been knocked down and replaced by a brand new, state of the art language college. Its fucking rubbish. Sure its got a superb layout, nice new toilets, a brand new gym and sports hall (which I use), new outdoor artificial football pithes (which I also use) and a massive car park. But its shit. It really is. It was my old school. I loved the maths block, which was basically temporary cow sheds with toilets that didn't flush. The common room was class because you could play cards and play common room cricket without fear of the head of year popping in - now the head of year's office is in the middle of the room. No gambling for the class of 2011. Sure its all nice and new, but it was MY school, and its depressing to see it this way.

Any other buildings that you loved been knocked down recently? A pub I used to go in was flattened the other year to make way for a block of flats. Fairwell The Atlas, you were a piss stained horrible boozer, but you were a notch above St Andrews Plaza, which currently sits in your place.

Anyone else as depressed as me with things that don't exist any more?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know the Pulp song Disco 2000? Well the 'fountain down the road' was one in Sheffield centre (Goodwin Fountain), but it got torn down in 1998. That depressed me a bit.

Really? Never knew that. I always presumed is was the one by the City Hall.

• Paid Members

I have a soft spot for old cinemas, and Mansfield had 11 of them at one point. We were down to 6 last year, and now 2 more have been torn down. One is now a carpark, the other (which as the walls were being pulled down showed all the plasterwork on the ceiling and proscenium were still in pristine condition) is now empty land waiting for someone to build on it.

I have a soft spot for old cinemas, and Mansfield had 11 of them at one point. We were down to 6 last year, and now 2 more have been torn down. One is now a carpark, the other (which as the walls were being pulled down showed all the plasterwork on the ceiling and proscenium were still in pristine condition) is now empty land waiting for someone to build on it.

Ever been to the one in Ilkeston dude?

• Awards Moderator

There are a few round here that no longer exist. The Bluebell pub in Huyton, for one. It wasn't so much the building that was great, but the people who drank in there. Half of Huyton was practically homeless when they ripped it down.

The first one that came to mind, though, was Quiggins in Liverpool city centre. It was a three story building that was an absolute joy to spend time in. It contained a mixture of quirky clothes shops, vintage records shops and a top-floor restaurant, along with a few nik-nak stores and a barbers. Then a massive antique warehouse at the back end. Going in there for the first time was like a rite of passage when you were in your teens. Also, you invariably came out smelling like you'd been rolling around in weed for an hour. I bloody loved that place, but now it

There are a few round here that no longer exist. The Bluebell pub in Huyton, for one. It wasn't so much the building that was great, but the people who drank in there. Half of Huyton was practically homeless when they ripped it down.

The first one that came to mind, though, was Quiggins in Liverpool city centre. It was a three story building that was an absolute joy to spend time in. It contained a mixture of quirky clothes shops, vintage records shops and a top-floor restaurant, along with a few nik-nak stores and a barbers. Then a massive antique warehouse at the back end. Going in there for the first time was like a rite of passage when you were in your teens. Also, you invariably came out smelling like you'd been rolling around in weed for an hour. I bloody loved that place, but now it

• Awards Moderator
When was Quiggins changed Frankie? Only been to Liverpool once but think I may have been there in 2000

It was about 2006/7 I think, just before they knocked up the new shopping complex. It was knocked down but the exterior of the Palatine Building (the main entrance) is still in tact as part of the shopping centre.

A few of the shops from Quiggins have moved to that other place on Renshaw St haven't they? I should know its name.

On the subject of Liverpool; the new Paradise St Bus Station is an arse-ache to get to compared to where the old one was.

My old school has also been knocked down I don't live there any more but was told by old friends on Facebook it was gone.

The school sucked I admit but part of that reason was overcrowding the town had 3 secondary schools all overcrowded so what decision was made to combat this knock one of them down and transfer the students to the other 2 schools and which one to knock down would make the most sense oh yeah the biggest one.

Archived