The seduction community/ pick up artists.

RancidPunx

I never placed much stock into pick up artists and such. I had a mate that read the game and he seemed impressed by it but never did any better or worse with the ladies so I thought it didn't work. However I found out that another mate read it and has actually being crazy good with the women. The guy always kind of "under achieved" as he is I suppose somewhat good looking. Maybe confidence has a part to play but he has definitely taken it up a notch in recent months.

It's nearly two years since my last GF and 6 months since my last shag so I was thinking of giving this pick up thing a shot. It surely couldn't do any harm right ?

Anybody read the game or have any experience of the pickup community thing ?

I don't really believe in PUA shit as a way to just get laid as often as possible. The fact is though, that everyone has a different face at work, with family, with mates and whatever else. PUA techniques just teach you how to presemt the most attractive face you have. In the end, it's "fake it til you make it" with confidence and good chat, but the PUA stuff gives you a few actual pointers on specific techniques to let you show yourself at your best, how to get beyond idle "friend zone" chatter and how to recognise the sometimes counter-intuitive respponses women tend to give.

Yeah, some guys use it to be dicks, but we all know guys who would do that shit anyway. If you're basically a good guy who feels like he can't attract women, it can help you learn how to do a bit better.

To be honest, women are just people too and every one of them is different and reacts to different things in different ways. So there's no 'right' way, you have to trust your instincts.

Books like this can give you general pointers but if you start swearing by this stuff, then you'll die alone and unloved, the last sight you see before your eyes close for good being ButchReedMark telling you to 'have a word with yourself, dickhead' in the RoH thread.

Depends really. I was advised to listen to a bunch of player supreme podcasts. Which I actually found to be of some use, in that they use basic self help excercises and the importance of being natural. Plus It's where I learned how to dance in clubs (yes I have danced in a club, don't judge me) :blush:

The rest of it, like that Magic guy, I think is bollocks. It's either lame word play/ reverse pyschology tricks that might get you a number or it's a pure numbers game. I know a guy who goes by it and all he does is ask every woman he sees (and I mean every woman) until one gives him her number. Plus I think, of you have to put on a persona, and if it goes beyond sex, she's gonna find the real you and fuck off. Basic self confodence techniques that you can get from one book is worth a gazillion unfunny podcasts and needless books telling to buy to better shoes

• Paid Members

Haven't bothered with any of the techniques books, but I have read The Game, and one of the most interesting things about it is Strauss' bit on how he eventually realises it's not about learning how to shmooze women, but how to shmooze people. The techniques work on most people in general because they play on general elements of behaviour; hence, he claims, you can use them to not just pick up girls, but also to make business deals, sell things, or network.

Not having tried them, I don't know how true it is, but I do know a few guys who have learned them, and they do seem to be doing better, and I doubt there'd be a whole community of PUAs if it didn't have any effect at all.

I think it can certainly be empowering when you're younger and absolutely clueless, but I'm not convinced that the people who 'get good' through it aren't just playing the numbers game. Some of these blokes are mentalists who stand around on high streets chatting up dozens of women every day. If you do something that many times and you're not absolutely hideous, you're bound to have some sort of 'success' just by playing the odds. But, just like those zany student charity collectors who do essentially the same thing whenever Comic Relief approaches, you have to be prepared for the fact that most people will likely presume you to be a cunt.

As far as The Game itself goes, as I said, the mindset is to be applauded, but I think using many of the actual lines and gimmicks might do more harm than good. It's just so Americanised and corny, and frankly if you haven't got anything better to say to a girl than 'who lies more, men or women?', then you've got no business talking to them in the first place. You might pull some girls with it, but they'll be borderline retarded. I think the best advice I've heard out of any of these things is to work out what works for you and play to your strengths - not everyone is meant to be a slimy Calum Best-esque lounge lizard prowling the nightclubs for airheads 4 nights a week. And if that's what you really want to do, it's quicker and more effective to just go on some shit reality show and achieve a tiny degree of fame.

And aye, the Tao of Steve is a top film. Though I reckon Barney Stinson's the boy to model yourself on for any of this stuff.

• Paid Members

A mate decided to take up one of these books, as he reached the grand age of 26 and he had yet to lose his V card (he never admitted as much, but it was obvious). He isn't unattractive and had opportunities but his patter has always been rank. A few years ago, I zoned in on a conversation he was having with a lass (they had been talking a few minutes) and he spent that time moaning about road tax and the cost of being a motorist.

Anyway, he started reading some of these books and he's still rotten at chatting people up, BUT he did eventually get his hole (well one we officially ticked off). So it did kinda work.

as has been said, its about mind set, and confidence. and presenting yourself the best way you can as opposed to what you actually say. (assuming you don't talk about road tax!)

too many people read the game and think the lines that are mentioned are going to radically change everything for the better.

Archived