TNA's Gunner

cobra_gordo

He's got alot of positive points has Gunner. He's got a tough as nails look, not bad promo skills and has been having some decent matches. I would much prefer Gunner to Crimson, Crimson doesn't show half the personality in my opinion. Thus far he hasn't suffered as much as some with there constant stop/start booking philosophy, which is great for him.

I think he needs a little more background as right now he just tough guy, give him a little story to further the emotoional attachment to Gunner. A surname/firstname would be good too.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We know what the bloke looks like - is that really all you can ever contribute to a thread; making pages take longer to load?

Back on the actual idea of discussion.....

They've done their usual with regards to pushes for new talent recently; Gunnar had a shit-hot streak of beating Kennedy, Sting and another World Champ (I forget now who) and they were pushing what a huge accomplishment that was. Now, he's back to being an afterthought, having done nothing of note last week at all!

I like Gunner's look and his generic heavy metal theme tune makes him look badass too. I think his style in the ring is pretty decent and plus its good to see a version of the F5 being use again. From the awful days as security, he has come a hell of a long way, its good to see they've seperated him away from Murphy stinking the place out and hopefully a bright career. I find him much better than Crimson, who lets face it... hes shit.

As a huge fan of the Rambo series, I think Gunner would be a good tweener going through some psycotic gimmick and mentioning the things hes had to see in war. He really could go further. Hes got the look the size and well charisma.. its getting there.

• Paid Members

Crimson's not shit, he's just really green. He's being pushed way beyond his capabilities right now, but he's got a lot of potential which, if he'd been given time to properly mature, we'd see him gradually realising.

Seems the fact they gave him (and original partner) such a bland name would indicate this is more a luck-out than TNA being on the ball. The way wrestling works, though, he'd be better off aiming for solid upper midcard than a top push (for now), since there are plenty of veterans around, and they tend to do their best to cool a guy's heat if a young worker is starting to look like a threat to their spot.

Sucks, but happens often enough.

• Paid Members

The problem I have with Crimson is the way he was introduced - as The Amazing Red's little brother?! They seem to have forgotten that as time's gone on, but I think they'd have been better off simply introducing him as a mysterious newcomer.

• Paid Members
The problem I have with Crimson is the way he was introduced - as The Amazing Red's little brother?! They seem to have forgotten that as time's gone on, but I think they'd have been better off simply introducing him as a mysterious newcomer.

I had no problem with that at all. It was a great angle to introduce him, and also a great way to give the fans a pop against a superb heel Jarrett. It also made Red potentially interesting for the first time in years.

In fact, I'd have said the best thing to do with Crimson would have been to stick him in a tag team with "big bro" - matching gear, one big bastard and one high-flyer; one thing Red is good at is that, when he's in matches against much bigger guys, he does sell a lot more, and he'd have been perfect as a face in peril. Also, given that the big guy who cleans house on the hot tag doesn't have to do much, it'd have been a great way for Crimson to improve on the job without exposing him too much.

• Paid Members
I had no problem with that at all. It was a great angle to introduce him, and also a great way to give the fans a pop against a superb heel Jarrett. It also made Red potentially interesting for the first time in years.

In fact, I'd have said the best thing to do with Crimson would have been to stick him in a tag team with "big bro" - matching gear, one big bastard and one high-flyer; one thing Red is good at is that, when he's in matches against much bigger guys, he does sell a lot more, and he'd have been perfect as a face in peril. Also, given that the big guy who cleans house on the hot tag doesn't have to do much, it'd have been a great way for Crimson to improve on the job without exposing him too much.

I mean in context of how they've used him. He went from being Red's little bro, to randomly attacking members of Immortal and then going unbeaten. I think the Immortal attacks would have been more interesting if they hadn't revealed Crimson in another angle first.

• Paid Members
I mean in context of how they've used him. He went from being Red's little bro, to randomly attacking members of Immortal and then going unbeaten. I think the Immortal attacks would have been more interesting if they hadn't revealed Crimson in another angle first.

You mean like a mystery man who debuts by attacking Immortal? Yeah, I'd have been up for that, though actually I think the best guy for that would've been, funnily enough, Gunner. He looks like a beast, wrestles like a beast, and just comes across as a beast in general.

• Paid Members
You mean like a mystery man who debuts by attacking Immortal? Yeah, I'd have been up for that, though actually I think the best guy for that would've been, funnily enough, Gunner. He looks like a beast, wrestles like a beast, and just comes across as a beast in general.

That's exactly what I mean. And I agree with you about Gunner, I think he'd be better suited for the 'Goldberg' style push Crimson's getting now. I've nothing against Crimson, but I don't really buy him as unbeatable. Gunner, on the other hand, I reckon I could and I also think he'd have a very good chance of getting extremely over in it.

Maybe Crimson's hurt a little through the fact you don't actually know how many matches he's won. I wish they'd keep a tally.

Whilst Gunner's getting a lot of good tv time with Imortal, for me his persona and look screams "loner". So at some point a split from Immortal is due.

Another thing about Crimson that I'm not sure if most people realise is that he's better as a heel than as a babyface. In fact, almost all of his indy work prior to signing with TNA, if not all of it, was as a heel. The dude has only a couple of years worth of experience and on top of that almost zero experience working as a babyface and now he's supposed to get over as this new breakout babyface star for TNA. It's hard enough to get over as a babyface when you're a complete unknown but throw on top of that the whole experience issue and Crimson's got a tough road ahead of him. He's simply not ready for the spot he's in right now and he has no choice but to try and learn as he goes. I've liked the dude eversince I first saw him on Jerry Lawler's Memphis Wrestling last year and I think he's got a lot of potential but TNA really didn't do him any favours when they put him in the role that they put him in. In my opinion, he could've been better utilised in another less high profile role which would've allowed him to mature at his own pace without that much spotlight on him.

Archived