TNA's Gunner

cobra_gordo

When he first showed up doing the security gaurd gimmick with Murphy I paid the bloke no attention whatsoever, he just seemed to mill about like a spare part and wasn't really a convincing threat to anybody in my eyes. He looked like utter shit when he started having those initial tag matches with the jeans/no shirt combo. Recently though with him working singles matches, wearing trunks and being quite high up in the BFG series I'm starting to become more convinced and I'm beginning to like the fella. He might not be the best in the ring but he could end up doing quite well as a generic tough guy mid carder, RVD made him look hard as nails in their match on Impact.

Just wanted to know what everybody else thought or if he even warrants an oppinion

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think losing the R&B security outfit had a similar effect on Gunner as losing the 'Preacher Man' getup did for Batista. Like Batista, I think he's one of the few wrestlers these days whose tattoos are a benefit to his character - along with the wildman goatee, they make him look intense as fuck. In terms of look, he actually reminds me a lot of Sean O'Haire. He's been one of the few success stories of the Immortal stable, and considering his experience level I see him as having a brighter future than the likes of Crimson and Morgan.

I love me some Gunner, can't tell if TNA knew what they were doing when they pushed him after the Jarrett Personal Security broke up, but wehther it be luck or whatever he's worked out really well and looks like he belongs where he is and also with Immortal.

His look is awesome, he looks like a proper mentalist hick who is as tough as nails, bad ass and just looks like he'll fuck you up.

Also on the RVD note, not his biggest fan but i think the comments of "he phones it in in TNA" are starting to become lazy and contrived. His stuff from the BFG Series and at Destination X have been great and hve been some of his standout performances for TNA.

• Paid Members
He's very good, but he's dying for a name change. There's nothing wrong with the name Gunner, but he needs to use it as a surname or a first name, it sounds rubbish on its own.

Agreed on the name change, and agreed that Gunner could work as a first or surname, but I think the best option TNA have for changing it to reveal it as a nickname he's had since his Army days (which have been reasonably well covered by TNA) and to give him a "real" name as well.

Overall, however, love the guy. Great look, good wrestler, awesome Southern accent. I hope he becomes a big star in TNA.

Agreed on the name change, and agreed that Gunner could work as a first or surname, but I think the best option TNA have for changing it to reveal it as a nickname he's had since his Army days (which have been reasonably well covered by TNA) and to give him a "real" name as well.

Overall, however, love the guy. Great look, good wrestler, awesome Southern accent. I hope he becomes a big star in TNA.

Agree with him needing a real name, even if it was "Gunner" Jon Smith or whatever, they could use the Gunner part in signature move names and stuff and it might sound a bit less ridiculous.

I think losing the R&B security outfit had a similar effect on Gunner as losing the 'Preacher Man' getup did for Batista. Like Batista, I think he's one of the few wrestlers these days whose tattoos are a benefit to his character - along with the wildman goatee, they make him look intense as fuck. In terms of look, he actually reminds me a lot of Sean O'Haire. He's been one of the few success stories of the Immortal stable, and considering his experience level I see him as having a brighter future than the likes of Crimson and Morgan.

This is what I've been thinking for a while. He genuinely looks like the sort of guy who would beat the fuck out of you with a pool cue if you spilt his pint in a bar. I've a suspicion they dropped lucky when they started giving him a singles push, like maybe they didn't think he was as good as he is but I've been pleasantly surprised. He strikes me as somebody who you wouldn't want to admit to liking but him and Bully Ray are the best things about Immortal at the moment and for different reasons.

I see the Sean O'Haire thing, he's similar to Crimson with the intensity and the tattooed thing but Gunner just seems to have way more personality, I'd like to see him go places, it'd be nice to see him win the BFG series but that would mean them ending Crimsons winning streak and I'm not sure how ready they are to do that

I've been a big Phill Shatter (Gunner) fan eversince I first saw him back in 2007. Since then he's stepped up his game even more, got in better shape, produced some great matches on the indy scene against various opponents and did some pretty solid promos as well. Needless to say I am very happy to see him in TNA and to see him doing as well as he's been doing. I'm kind of biased because of how long I've been following his career, and really before most people had even heard of him, but I really love watching the guy perform and I think he's got a lot of potential. He's already had some fun TV matches in TNA against the likes of Daniels, AJ and RVD and his brawl with the clowns was one of my favourite backstage segments from TNA this year (Gunner was a total bad ass in that one). The best is yet to come with Gunner, in my opinion. I can see him one day being one of the top guys in the company or in the worst of cases a very solid midcarder at least. Hopefully TNA will keep things on track with him and won't give up on him like they have with some of their other up-and-comers in the past.

He does need a better name though. There's no denying that.

Now that I know he used to be a heavy calibre gunner in the army, I like the name. They need to push that more. Really they need to develop his role into more of a Rambo persona - elite military turned backwoodsman recluse. Split him from Immortal ultimately.

I like him - good look and size, good intensity, seems capable in the ring, and he's unknown outside of TNA (well, to most people). Prefer him to Crimson.

• Paid Members
Now that I know he used to be a heavy calibre gunner in the army, I like the name. They need to push that more. Really they need to develop his role into more of a Rambo persona - elite military turned backwoodsman recluse. Split him from Immortal ultimately.

I like him - good look and size, good intensity, seems capable in the ring, and he's unknown outside of TNA (well, to most people). Prefer him to Crimson.

I don't mind Crimson, I think he's alright, but he's definitely been over-exposed recently. He doesn't have what it takes to match up to the Goldberg push they're giving him.

Loving the idea of making him like a Rambo character - have some point where he gets beaten up, or, even better, have him in a tag/multiple-man match where he sees his partners get badly beaten via weapon shots or what-have-you while he ends up handcuffed to the ropes and unable to do anything about it, and this sees him "reliving" the war, etc., at which point he loses it and just goes on a psychotic rampage, thinking everyone's the enemy.

Of course, he'd have to be a face for them to do this.

Archived