Smackdown Spoilers For 8/5/2011

ThePhenom

SmackDown was better than RAW this week but I was kind of disapointed due to the better episode the previous week. There wasn't much to complain about on this episode apart from the shitty six man tag match and Ezekiel Jackson shitting over the IC title.

One question, do we actually have any Big Zeke fans here? Since he came to SmackDown earlier this year he has been dreadful. I remember used to be able to have decent matches such as the RR 2010 match against Christian.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One question, do we actually have any Big Zeke fans here? Since he came to SmackDown earlier this year he has been dreadful. I remember used to be able to have decent matches such as the RR 2010 match against Christian.

Wasn't that the only good match he had?

There are some Zeke fans on here, but nearly all of them concede he's shit at the moment.

Wasn't that the only good match he had?

There are some Zeke fans on here, but nearly all of them concede he's shit at the moment.

Off the top of my mind, I remember his squash matches were once bareable but now there terrible.

Its rather frustrating as Barrett looked the bollocks with the IC title and it kind of made his huge push last year seem like it didn't completly mean nothing. Although it should have resulted in much more.

Ideally they should have done Barrett/Gabriel for the IC title.

• Paid Members

I'll admit to liking Big Zeke, but I'll also admit that he's useless at the moment. Turning him face when he was just picking up some momentum as the monster heel of The Corre was a big mistake. It worked for about two weeks when he was feuding with Barratt, but it was short-sighted booking really.

I don't hate Otunga and McGillicutty as much as most on here seem to, but I accept that they are incredibly dull as a tag team. I will give them credit for at least coming up with a nice old-school double team finisher, which seems to be a rarity these days, but it's not enough to make me want to see any more of them. Otunga has potential as an egotistical undercard heel, playing off his 'A-list' persona, whilst McGillicutty would make a decent tag partner for someone else, I would put him back together with Husky Harris and play off their wrestling heritage.

• Paid Members
I'll admit to liking Big Zeke, but I'll also admit that he's useless at the moment. Turning him face when he was just picking up some momentum as the monster heel of The Corre was a big mistake. It worked for about two weeks when he was feuding with Barratt, but it was short-sighted booking really.

Was he really though? The Corre essentially formed to feud with Big Show, and that entire feud - for me anyway - killed the momentum of the entire group. I've never been a fan of Eziekiel, and I've always thought these people who say he "screams money" are way off the mark. He's diabolical on the mic, shitty in the ring and when you realize his facial expression set consists of "angry face" and "smiley face" and nothing else you realize his semi-decent look counts for naught to top it all off. He's got no clear personality, doesn't have the power moves to pull off the "monster heel" role as effectively as someone like Mark Henry, Big Show or Sheamus, and isn't all that interesting as a character either. I'm not even sure development would sort the guy out.

• Paid Members
Was he really though? The Corre essentially formed to feud with Big Show, and that entire feud - for me anyway - killed the momentum of the entire group. I've never been a fan of Eziekiel, and I've always thought these people who say he "screams money" are way off the mark. He's diabolical on the mic, shitty in the ring and when you realize his facial expression set consists of "angry face" and "smiley face" and nothing else you realize his semi-decent look counts for naught to top it all off. He's got no clear personality, doesn't have the power moves to pull off the "monster heel" role as effectively as someone like Mark Henry, Big Show or Sheamus, and isn't all that interesting as a character either. I'm not even sure development would sort the guy out.

Well they had the guy kicking the fuck out of the Big Show and I think that was getting him over as a monster. Being the muscle of a heel faction was the ideal role for him, allowing him to work only multi-man tag matches and beat-downs. As soon as he was split from the group all his flaws were immediately exposed.

Despite the shit name and even shittier t-shirt, The Corre were a decent heel group. They could have kept that going a lot longer.

• Paid Members
Well they had the guy kicking the fuck out of the Big Show and I think that was getting him over as a monster. Being the muscle of a heel faction was the ideal role for him, allowing him to work only multi-man tag matches and beat-downs. As soon as he was split from the group all his flaws were immediately exposed.

Despite the shit name and even shittier t-shirt, The Corre were a decent heel group. They could have kept that going a lot longer.

They were never treated as a serious threat to anyone. They had Big Show and Kane destroy them weekly and they all wound up looking pretty pathetic. Wade Barrett moved to Smackdown as one of the hottest heels in wrestling, and now he's barely an afterthought. I thought he was a shoe-in to be a future World Champion, but now I'm not so sure.

I think The Corre were always shit, or at least made to look so in comparison to what the Nexus had been. The Corre's first appearance was attention-grabbing ("fuck me, Smackdown's got the lads from Nexus and they're doing a new group!"), and then Zeke throwing Big Show around was impressive, but there was never anything else to the group. And even Big Show vs Zeke never came to anything really.

• Paid Members
They were never treated as a serious threat to anyone. They had Big Show and Kane destroy them weekly and they all wound up looking pretty pathetic. Wade Barrett moved to Smackdown as one of the hottest heels in wrestling, and now he's barely an afterthought. I thought he was a shoe-in to be a future World Champion, but now I'm not so sure.

They weren't booked well, which is obvious because they only lasted about a month as a faction, but they had potential to be good. As a heel faction they ticked all the boxes- articulate, egotistical leader, a cocky tag team and an enormous meathead as their enforcer. If they had stayed together Wade could easily have been World Champion by now.

• Paid Members
They weren't booked well, which is obvious because they only lasted about a month as a faction, but they had potential to be good. As a heel faction they ticked all the boxes- articulate, egotistical leader, a cocky tag team and an enormous meathead as their enforcer. If they had stayed together Wade could easily have been World Champion by now.

No one's disputing that. But if they'd stayed together Wade Barrett would never have been World Champ because the whole group were made to look like chumps. Even if Edge had stayed it seems Del Rio - and maybe Christian - were the two who could or would have won the World title. Barrett was way down the pecking order.

• Paid Members
No one's disputing that. But if they'd stayed together Wade Barrett would never have been World Champ because the whole group were made to look like chumps. Even if Edge had stayed it seems Del Rio - and maybe Christian - were the two who could or would have won the World title. Barrett was way down the pecking order.

Well when I say 'if they had stayed together' I basically mean if they not been booked horribly too. Del Rio was drafted to Raw, so don't really see how he is relevant to the World Championship. If The Corre had been used properly, I don't see why Barratt couldn't be the top heel on SmackDown right now.

• Paid Members
Well when I say 'if they had stayed together' I basically mean if they not been booked horribly too. Del Rio was drafted to Raw, so don't really see how he is relevant to the World Championship. If The Corre had been used properly, I don't see why Barratt couldn't be the top heel on SmackDown right now.

The draft pretty much only happened because Edge had to retire. Had that not happened Edge would have faced Del Rio after Wrestlemania, and in all likelihood would have won the World title. With Del Rio as top heel, Barrett would be even further away from a World title run.

Archived