Smackdown Spoilers For 8/5/2011

ThePhenom

• Paid Members
Ahhh, didn't see that it's not being aired on television.

And whilst I do agree that "if it ain't on TV, it don't count", but didn't WWE acknowledge Edge's first Intercontinental title win even though that was at a house show? Are there any other instances of this kind of thing happening?

I think that one was just shown to explain the title switch as there was a ppv the night after, has happened a few times I think but not especially often. Is a shame though I think it would be cool to acknowledge that stuff sometimes, like TNA have been doing with some for the bound for glory series matches, a nice touch I thought.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daniel Bryans new music is cool as. God Ezekiel Jackson is so shit, he actually annoys me, he looks like a monster yet saunters down to the ring smiling like a tosser. And he should never speak on the mic ever.

Zack Ryder's Teddy Long dance needs a gif.

and Booker T is awesome, haters gonna hate.

• Paid Members

Cracking little mach there between Bryan and Kidd. Everything about that TV slot was good. Kidd made Bryan look good and even made himself look good i the process, Bryan looked like he could give a real pasting and he's got some music which doesn't make him look like a complete plank, Wade Barrett was brilliant on commentary, building up the rivalry well and not burying him on commentary either, actually admitting he'd underestimated his foe's talents but being quick to point out he's still going to batter him. The rest of the show was kind of bleh, even Ryder's stint sadly. Ryder's segment was pretty confusing, the crowd loved him, Cole kept taking the piss out of him (which normally signifies them as a babyface), yet Jackson is a face, Teddy treated Zack as a heel, but Zeke got little to no reaction during his spots. Can anyone else see how that's confusing? Mixed messages and all that.

I think Zeke stinks at the moment. His triple clothesline and triple scoop slam spots just do nothing to get the crowd going. His random screams and growls don't help either. Everything about him exudes heeldom, and I can't understand why they seem to keep chopping and changing his face/heel allignment. His matches are the pits. He'd be much more suited to the role Mark Henry is currently undertaking as an unstoppable heel.

• Paid Members

After a pretty meh Raw, Smackdown was pretty damn good overall:

- Booker T was hysterical all night. His attempt to rationalise the Khali/Jinder situation was brilliant and Sheamus was made to look like the business in his match against Khali.

- Loving what they're doing with the Divas division. Genuinely interested in where they go with it. I actually don't hate the Divas but it's normally presented as being so irrelevant that I can't take it seriously. Hopefully the fact they actually have a storyline going on will get me back into it.

- Wade Barrett was fantastic on commentary and is beginning to remind me why I used to like him so much. I think he is THAT good to rebound from his horrendous booking spell.

- D-Bry's new music is awesome and I loved his match with Tyson Kidd. Kidd I actually really enjoy as a competitive jobber and, I haven't checked yet, but I hope he survives the roster cut. He is so entertaining to watch in the ring to me, regardless of his lack of charisma.

- I wish Ezekiel was as good as his look but I swear his ability is regressing and it's getting to a point where he's making guys I would normally love unconditionally, like Cody Rhodes, seem dull and uninteresting (and I know Cody's had a bad time with it recently but as I said I'm a massive fan of the guy). I hope Cody's re-storing image shtick actually goes somewhere, perhaps a stable of him, Ted and maybe Kidd would work.

- Good to see Zack Ryder getting more of a response this week. Teddy Long screwed him over and I hope they get rid of the guy soon. He's been stale for God knows how long and his character makes so many absolutely ridiculous decisions. As a side note Zeke generates NO reaction at all and that won't approve if he keeps squashing guys who are supposed to be face.

- What the fuck was up with sexy Aksana's re-debut complete with film noir score? Sexy Aksana is damn sexy mind so I will not be complaining if she returns. Teddy's dropping of the pen was so badly acted out it rivalled the whole "BUCKLE UP, TEDDY!" segment.

- I'll miss Koz...but Henry continues to look like THE man. Hopefully he finally gets that World title run soon. Sheamus' promo was just more greatness from the guy. I'm so torn over who I want to win between him and Henry at Summerslam. I'd rather that be for the World title than Orton vs. Christian #63

- What a pointless six man tag, regardless of how cool The Uso's entrance is. Otungacutty and are the only guys I flat out hate currently on the roster. I hope they've been released and the tag titles are just quietly retired for now.

- Had most of the main event skipping and freezing so didn't catch the majority of it. I love Morrison's standing C4 and his parkor stunt shtick but they really need to emphasise it more and he himself needs to get more comfortable on the mic or he's going nowhere. Truth continues to be incredibly entertaining and Orton/Christian is starting to get a bit old but it's not terribly offensive either. I do hope it ends after Summerslam though.

Oh and that video with Trips/Ryder is fucking awesome.

Sheamus/Khali wasn't great, but I don't think anyone could carry Khali to a watchable contest these days. Sheamus/Henry should be great.

I wonder if Beth and Natalya have been given the storyline that Kharma would have had if she hadn't got pregnant. You can completely understand why Beth and Natalya would turn heel considering the crappy Diva segments they've been involved in over the last few weeks and months.

Daniel Bryan/Tyson Kidd was excellent, a lot of people continually write Kidd off but with the right opponent he can be really good. Is Michael Hayes not managing Tyson anymore?

The Ryder/Zeke/Rhodes/Long segment was equal parts awful and baffling. Zeke should never, ever, ever speak on a microphone again, in fact he should drop the IC title to someone who deserves it and be taken off TV until he can learn, well, everything. Teddy Long is almost as detrimental to Smackdown as Michael Cole and Booker T.

Henry/Kozlov served its intended purpose.

The six man was acceptable, I like McGillicutty but it's pretty obvious that Otunga only has a job because he's seen out and about with his celebrity wife. I wonder if the purpose of this match was to reintroduce JTG introduce Baretta to the Smackdown audience, God knows the show could use some new(er) blood.

Main Event was decent although Christian winning clean probably means that Orton will be taking the title at the PPV.

Sheamus/Khali wasn't great, but I don't think anyone could carry Khali to a watchable contest these days. Sheamus/Henry should be great.

I wonder if Beth and Natalya have been given the storyline that Kharma would have had if she hadn't got pregnant. You can completely understand why Beth and Natalya would turn heel considering the crappy Diva segments they've been involved in over the last few weeks and months.

Daniel Bryan/Tyson Kidd was excellent, a lot of people continually write Kidd off but with the right opponent he can be really good. Is Michael Hayes not managing Tyson anymore?

The Ryder/Zeke/Rhodes/Long segment was equal parts awful and baffling. Zeke should never, ever, ever speak on a microphone again, in fact he should drop the IC title to someone who deserves it and be taken off TV until he can learn, well, everything. Teddy Long is almost as detrimental to Smackdown as Michael Cole and Booker T.

Henry/Kozlov served its intended purpose.

The six man was acceptable, I like McGillicutty but it's pretty obvious that Otunga only has a job because he's seen out and about with his celebrity wife. I wonder if the purpose of this match was to reintroduce JTG introduce Baretta to the Smackdown audience, God knows the show could use some new(er) blood.

Main Event was decent although Christian winning clean probably means that Orton will be taking the title at the PPV.

I really hope not. Properly heel Christian has been awesome, and taking the title off him again would hurt him. I reckon there will be some shenanigans at the Summerslam blow off match.

Wonder how they're going to get round breaking this 30 day suspension for Sin Cara. There's rumours flying around that they're going to throw the other Mystico they have in development into it, temporarily at least. That would be really mental as they aren't even of remotely similar bodytypes. Can't see that happening at all.

These suspensions are pretty official are they not? Not something they'd break lightly, I think they even kept Jeff Hardy off Wrestlemania because of it once.

It all seems a bit weird.

Wonder how they're going to get round breaking this 30 day suspension for Sin Cara. There's rumours flying around that they're going to throw the other Mystico they have in development into it, temporarily at least. That would be really mental as they aren't even of remotely similar bodytypes. Can't see that happening at all.

These suspensions are pretty official are they not? Not something they'd break lightly, I think they even kept Jeff Hardy off Wrestlemania because of it once.

It all seems a bit weird.

hmmm yeah, well from MITB to when next weeks SD airs is 25 days. Suppose they could just say he got suspended before MITB but they let him compete as it was too late to take him off the card or somethin. I thought they were pretty rigid with it too. Jeff Hardy got suspended well before Wrestlemania too, and they probably just were trying to prove a point with him by keeping him off mania.

No, that lasted about two weeks. Kidd has been through several managers since then. Armando Estrada, Matt Striker, Vickie Guerrero, JTG, perhhaps one or two more.

JTG's a Raw wrestler. And Otunga's not the only current tag champion who's only got a job because of who he's related to.

What's the logic there?

• Paid Members

The good:

It seems like the crowds are going to accept Sheamus as a face. I like this, and Mark Henry is a good catalyst for it.

I'm looking forward to their Summerslam match.

I like the Natalya heel turn with the way it referenced the Beth Phoenix turn on Raw.

There were some more tremendous spots between Orton and Christian in that main event. Good stuff all round.

The rest:

I was mildly disappointed by D Bryan vs Tyson Kidd, but only because I've see so much of Daniel Bryan's stuff elsewhere and this got some internet hype it wasn't going to live up to. I really hope Bryan is in a position to make it work when he does cash in his MITB contract.

I hate that they gave McGuillicutty and Otunga the music Justin Gabriel had for about two weeks. McGullicutty has actually started to impress me a bit for the first time, however I'd still prefer the tag belts on anyone else really.

The Ezekiel Jackson vs Zack Ryder match was the sort of left field booking you get in TNA. Didn't like it.

Archived