G1Climax 23 事事しい、旅 Air Raid

air_raid

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

So, went to Noah at Korakuen last night. A bit "house show" at times but still great fun.

Show opened with contract signing between Kanemaru and Super Crazy (speaking English through a Japanese interpreter) for their junior heavyweight title match at the end of the tour. Sufficed to say, Crazy's English seems as good as my Spanish. "I really want this championship" and "he's good, but not like Super Crazy" were the highlights. Still, he's over like Rover.

Here is what happened in the ring :

1. NOAH vs. Diamond Ring 1st: Ricky Marvin vs. Mitsuhiro Kitamiya

Kitamiya jumped Marvin before the bell, but despite that it settle into standard opener stuff. Nothing too complex, after a series of basic exchanges Marvin took the win with the Styles Clash/Bisontennial. Acceptable, if forgettable.

2. NOAH vs. Diamond Ring 2nd: Taiji Ishimori vs. Satoshi Kajiwara

After seeing their match in Broxbourne last year I was surprised to see Kaji appears to have dropped a lot of his dickhead tendancies. This was much more of a competitive match than that was, in the early going Kajiwara endured some terrible abuse to the leg, including all manner of deathlock, Mutalock and bow and arrow transitions. It didnt really factor into the later going much though. Kajiwara got some licks in but ultimately couldnt stay out of the way of Ishimoris kicks, and the BRAVE member took the win with a 450 at the second attempt.

3. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title Skirmish, 3 Way Match: Super Crazy vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima

High octane with lots of stiff kicks from the natives. Crazy may be a little rounder than his prime but he can still go, and he can still fly. You got the impression that Nakajima was a little superfluous to the result (though his contribution was good) and it came to pass, Crazy snatching a quick cradle on Kanemaru after he had blasted Nakajima with a Touch Out. Designed, of course, to build towards the title match where no doubt Kanemaru will retain.

4. BRAVE vs. von Erich Brothers: Takeshi Morishima & Mohammed Yone vs. Marshall von Erich & Ross von Erich

First look at the Von Erichs for me, Marshall wrestles bare-footed in the Von Erich tradition. Marshall surprised me by bodyslamming Morishima within two minutes of the opening bell. The champ looked a bit smaller than when I saw him last. Highly likely being given another chance on top has motivated him to shed a couple of pounds and he looks better for it. Both Von Erichs executed well. Marshall used a discus lariat and applied the Iron Claw on Yone, both to good reaction, but he got prevented from turning the claw into a slam at every opportunity. Eventually Morishima isolated Ross outside and Yone put together a flurry on Marshall culminating in a Kinniki Buster, and you dont get up from that.

At intermission we learned the teams for the Junior Heavyweight Tag League and I was gobsmacked to see Paul London's face, I thought he'd given up wrestling, I really had. The promo video for Gaston Mateo is something special. I'm not sure whether it's his beard, his cape or the manner in which he stands on a cliff top like king of the fucking world, but he looks like something special.

5. NOAH vs. Diamond Ring 3rd: Go Shiozaki vs. Kento Miyahara

If you recall what I said about Go from the Fire Festival Finals about never really loving him, I loved him here. He was fairly brutal with Miyahara and came off every bit the ace that he should do. Everything was crisp and several times he cut off Miyaharas comebacks which built heat beautifully for when the big comeback finally came. Kento took his beating like a man, and when he made his comeback centred around some staggering superkicks, he was rewarded with a crowd that was baying for him to win. He took realistic nearfalls off a Liger bomb and a stalling German suplex, and while TSVE and I (being the worst kind of smark) knew Go was never going to lose, the natives ate it up. Ultimately there were two or three lariats too many for Kento to endure, and he went down to a Go Flasher. Shiozakis eyes told Kento that he had earned his respect. Great match.

6. KENTA is back to KORAKUEN: KENTA vs. Atsushi Kotoge

If the previous match wasn't what I expected, this REALLY wasn't. After KENTA slapped the BRAVE member round the face a couple of times, Kotoge responded with a vicious headbutt that staggered KENTA for a second. Very quickly we realized KENTA was bleeding - a lot. He flew into a rage then and proceeded to kick the shit out of Kotoge, all over the ring and then all over Korakuen Hall. We were quite concerned that all semblance of co-operation had gone out of the window until Kotoge regained the advantage by reversing a whip into the guard rail. Back in the ring Kotoge had a good heat session and a couple of time looked on the verge of victory. KENTAs comeback was just as brutal as his opening salvo, and after some of the lariats I wondered how the kid was carrying on. A couple of times however, he went back to headbutts and they seemed to stagger KENTA long enough for him to get back into it. Eventually the effect wore off and KENTA smashed Kotoge with a flurry of strikes, stiff back kick, then another positively evil lariat. He then obliterated him with a heinous Go 2 Sleep, calling to a close one of the most unique matches I've ever seen.

7. Special Tag Match: TAJIRI & Naomichi Marufuji vs. Mybach Taniguchi & Genba Hirayanagi

I was gobsmacked to see KENTA make his way back out to be in the corner of his No Mercy lieutenants for this one, obviously after they had cleaned up his forehead (and the ring mat). This match was built around the attempts of the masked Mybach and his running buddy to cause Tajiri grief. Tajiri needed help and chose Marufuji for a partner. Typical comedy tag match, extended heat on Tajiri, Maru tagged in and did a few kicks but didnt extend himself too far, Tajiri came back in, mix up with Genba and Taniguchi both missing mist, Tajiri using mist and a schoolboy for the win. Nothing special. Interestingly though, KENTA got in the ring to go face to face with Tajiri. Marufuji wisely talked Tajiri into leaving the ring without things escalating to the physical.

8. S.A.T vs. ZERO1 Special Six Man Tag Match: Jun Akiyama, Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki vs. Masato Tanaka , Ikuto Hidaka & Daichi Hashimoto.

Fairly "typical house show six man" type fare, with the novelty twist of the Zero 1 guys inclusion. The exchanges between Akiyama and Tanaka sparkled, there were long heat session on Daichi and Aoki - Akiyama in particular was in the mood to give Hashimoto nothing and treat like the young boy he realistically still is. Fun clusterfuck at the end with everyone getting their shit in. I thought Aoki had Hidaka beaten after a Spiral Poseidon, but it was broken up. Hidaka snared Aoki with the Shawn Capture and heel hook, and Aoki had no chance to make the ropes. With his teammates both being restrained, Aoki eventually passed out and the ref stopped it.

After the match Hidaka and Hashimoto seemed to be telling Aoki & Kotaro that they would be winning the Junior Tag League. The SAT challenged the champs Marvin & Crazy to come out, and suddenly there were tag teams everywhere. Presumably Tanaka and Akiyama went off to the bar at this point. Nakajima & Kajiwara seemed quite interested in what was going on, but bizarrely the last team in the ring to get on the mic and promise victory before the show closed were the Kaientai Dojo boys. Personally I'd expect a big match to go down between Daichi & Hidaka and the SAT but I assume the final might just be Suzuki & Aoki against Ishimori & Kotoge, with BRAVE winning to set them up a title shot.

Decent for what passed for a "house show," the main event met expectations and the Shiozaki/Miyahara and KENTA/Kotoge matches were both stunning in very different ways. 100% an evening well spent.

Break from wrestling tonight, going out with hosts friends. Tomorrow I'll be getting to Korakuen box office nice and early to try and snaffle some standing room tickets for New Japan so we dont miss Tanahashi/Nagata (and I get a first look at Okada live a day earlier than currently scheduled), before a Sunday double bill of All Japan at Korakuen (to see Kaz & Yang, Kanemoto and the Funaki/Minoru v Akiyama/Aoki main event) and the G1 Finals at Sumo Hall.

To be continued....

5. NOAH vs. Diamond Ring 3rd: Go Shiozaki vs. Kento Miyahara

If you recall what I said about Go from the Fire Festival Finals about never really loving him, I loved him here. He was fairly brutal with Miyahara and came off every bit the ace that he should do. Everything was crisp and several times he cut off Miyaharas comebacks which built heat beautifully for when the big comeback finally came. Kento took his beating like a man, and when he made his comeback centred around some staggering superkicks, he was rewarded with a crowd that was baying for him to win. He took realistic nearfalls off a Liger bomb and a stalling German suplex, and while TSVE and I (being the worst kind of smark) knew Go was never going to lose, the natives ate it up. Ultimately there were two or three lariats too many for Kento to endure, and he went down to a Go Flasher. Shiozakis eyes told Kento that he had earned his respect. Great match.

6. KENTA is back to KORAKUEN: KENTA vs. Atsushi Kotoge

If the previous match wasn't what I expected, this REALLY wasn't. After KENTA slapped the BRAVE member round the face a couple of times, Kotoge responded with a vicious headbutt that staggered KENTA for a second. Very quickly we realized KENTA was bleeding - a lot. He flew into a rage then and proceeded to kick the shit out of Kotoge, all over the ring and then all over Korakuen Hall. We were quite concerned that all semblance of co-operation had gone out of the window until Kotoge regained the advantage by reversing a whip into the guard rail. Back in the ring Kotoge had a good heat session and a couple of time looked on the verge of victory. KENTAs comeback was just as brutal as his opening salvo, and after some of the lariats I wondered how the kid was carrying on. A couple of times however, he went back to headbutts and they seemed to stagger KENTA long enough for him to get back into it. Eventually the effect wore off and KENTA smashed Kotoge with a flurry of strikes, stiff back kick, then another positively evil lariat. He then obliterated him with a heinous Go 2 Sleep, calling to a close one of the most unique matches I've ever seen.

As if I wasn't already excited enough to see what these matches on paper could potentially be, that write up makes it sound like they went truly above and beyond to become something special.

Sounds like you're having an amazing time over there and really seeing some excellent shows.

• Paid Members
As if I wasn't already excited enough to see what these matches on paper could potentially be, that write up makes it sound like they went truly above and beyond to become something special.

"Above and beyond" is the phrase I used to TSVE after the matches, exactly. I mean, in the case of Kotoge actually bringing forth blood on KENTA (and it wasn't a mere knick I can promise you) with his first strike of the match, I can't really endorse it as good working, but the way they built from and off it, the psychological play off his headbutt being lethal, was expertly done. I mean, this was KENTA coming back to fight a relatively low level guy. It's, I dunno, Randy Orton vs Evan Bourne. But everyone totally bought it, it was compelling. For right or wrong reasons.

I've seen plenty of matches that were great on paper and didnt really deliver, but those two matches were dynamic and fascinating.

• Paid Members

Final update before finals day...

After a corking meal last night and far too many beers I got the train to Dome City, turning up about 3:50 for the 4 o clock on sale for the standing-only tickets they "might have." Course they would. When I got their my heart sank, as the queue went up the stairs and started snaking around the corner. Must have been about 100 people. I nearly gave up there and then, but waited my turn and thankfully got two of the last tickets. Just over an hour later TSVE and myself took up our position in the top right corner of the hall, leaning on the railings, for a satisfying penultimate night of G1 action, for the bargain price of Y3000.

In results from New Japan G1 Climax at Korakuen HAll, honestly SUPER NO VACANCY FULL HOUSE, they sold tickets until it would have been unsafe to get anyone else in the place :

Shinsuke Nakamura was first out of the entrances to take on "Mr CMLL" Rush. Shinsuke looked even more plastered than in Yokohama. He followed through hard on everything but in return got quite a beating from Rush who registered a few decent near falls off a Liger bomb and a German suplex but couldnt connect with his Rush Driver. After missing the first Boma Ye Nakamura eventually knocked Rush down with a flying knee from the second rope then obliterated him with a Boma Ye. He remains one of the most popular heels you'll ever see.

Toru Yano returned to the scene of his greatest triumph, last year's upset against Tanahashi, to take on Satoshi Kojima. Yano wasn't quite as popular as last year given his opponent but he had his fans, and he had every dirty trick in the book including his chair, low blows behind the refs back, and exposing the turnbuckle. In fact one schoolboy following a low blow was quite convincing. Ultimately he was over exhuberant and ran right into a lariat for Koji to take the win, another popular result.

The wonderful Minoru Suzuki took on Shelton Benjamin in the next match which surprised me how even it was. There were some excellent exchanges as the two countered and reversed, Shelton attempting to get an ankle lock and Suzuki looking for a cross armbreaker. Taichi interfered liberally again and absolutely beat the crap out of two ring boys, was then ejected by the ref but still managed to sneak back to ringside. Seriously, if you have to have another member of Suzuki-Gun making up the numbers in the G1, can't it be Taichi instead of Lance fucking Archer? As for the match, Shelton did pretty well but ultimately ended up in Suzuki's sleeper which he was able to transition into the Gotch piledriver at the first attempt, for a third consecutive popular result.

Final match before intermission looked like it wouldnt take place as Yujiro came out but then marched back up the aisle. As his opponent Naomichi Marufuji came down the opposite tunnel, Yujiro attacked him from behind. This was a very good back and forth match, Yujiro is emerging as a real surprise package. He took some really good near falls off a Liger Bomb, his deadlift German suplex and an Olympic Slam and did well to escape a Shiranui, but took a terrible pasting and fell victim to a Tiger Frosien. Marufuji is still in with a shout, Yujiro signs off with another good performance.

After intermission the hugely popular Hiroyoshi Tenzan found himself in the unusual position of second favourite as he took on arguably the best sympathetic babyface in the country, Tetsuya Naito. Naito with a bad leg and everything. Long story short, Tenzan gave Naito a right beating including making no effort to avoid pounding on the bad leg. Naito was in no real condition to hit any of his big moves, but we knew he'd get his big chance, and he took it with a running front cradle and stole another win, which he needed badly after losing to Archer in Niigata. Afterwards Naito got an endorsement from Tenzan, and put his t shirt on a baby on his way back to the dressing room. What a blue eye.

Up next my pick for the whole thing, Kazuchika Okada, came out to wrestle that prick MVP. I can't tell you how sick I am of him. This was a decent match, reversals were good and Okada's dickishness between moves was spot on. You got the impression he never felt like really going into third gear against MVP, and he was right in thinking he shouldnt have to. A few slick reversals lead to MVP attempting the Playmaker, which was oh so easy to reverse into the Rainmaker. Okada goes into tomorrow, like so many others, on 8 pts.

Semi-main was a hard hitting war between Hirooki Goto and Togi Makabe. The crowd heat for this was incredible. Goto had a good 75% of the match and dished out a good beating to Makabe but never looked like putting him away. Makabe finally rallied and hit a stiff powerbomb, and seemed urgent to take it home. It was a real battle sat on the top rope for the Spider German suplex which required Makabe bouncing Gotos head off the ring post - twice! - before he was able to complete it beautifully with a THUD. The King Kong knee drop was academic, the crowd euphoric.

Finally Hiroshi Tanahashi bounced out to wrestle old rival Yuji Nagata with whom he has had some stunnning scraps over the years. With the crowd against him (I doubt he'll ever win Korakuen over) and an inspired Nagata, Hash really looked in jeopardy for most of this match. He took some terrible kicks, endured Nagata's armbar for an eternity and absorbed an exploder off the top. In the end he hit a desperation Sling Blade, followed by a High Fly Flow-like crossbody press then immediately went back up for the splash itself.

Tana moves onto 10 pts now and only defeat against Anderson tomorrow will prevent him reaching the final. If Anderson DOES beat him but Marufuji beats Yano, 'fuji goes through. Suzuki and Kojima are both also on 8 but honestly I haven't throught about the permutations too much because it seems unlikely Hash would lose to Anderson.

Group B is harder to call. Many men are on 8. Okada has to win and hope that Nakamura loses to Tenzan and Naito loses to Goto to go through. Nakamura has to win and hope that Naito loses. If Naito beats Tenzan the only thing that stops him getting to the final is if Lance Archer (yeah, right) beats that other bore MVP and wins the group, and no-one wants that.

Head says Tanahashi/Nakamura final which would be pointless but a great spectacle. I said three weeks ago Tanahashi/Okada final, and despite it looking unlikely on paper, I'm sticking with it.

• Paid Members

QUICK write-ups of todays trip to All Japan at Korakuen before the jaunt across town to Ryogoku for the G1 Finals. On a plane 24 hours from now. Goodbye clean streets, respectful people, excellent customer service and reliable public transport. Hello.... Britain.

Turned up on the day unaccompanied (host was knackered/not bothered) to All Japan at Korakuen Hall and was able to stumble through "Chiketo B, ichi-mae" to get a pretty decent seat. Noah doesnt sell out, Zero1 and All Japan don't even come close... Stardom fills the place. Huh.

Kaz Hayashi & Jimmy Yang beat Yasufumi Nakanoue and the masked Andy Wu with simultaneous Yang Time and moonsault body blocks in about 5 minutes. Yang's music includes the cringworthy line "save a horse, ride a cowboy." The masked Wu is over like you wouldn't believe.

The masked SUSHI beat Mazada in a bizarre comedy grudge match. Mazada pulled off a beautiful reversal to a tombstone where he basically flipped forward in a headscissor, sort of like a back to front frankensteiner. SUSHI won with a roll up. Mazada presented him with a box afterwards, presumably containing sushi.

The wildly over KENSO (I don't get it), tag partner Masao Inoue and Osamu Nishimura next beat Akebono, Ryota Hama and Masanobu Fuchi by COUNT OUT when the tag team champions were too fat to get back in the ring. I mean, Bono is a big lad but Hama makes me sick. There's being a monster, and then there's being an obese tub of guts. Afterwards KENSO challenged Bono to get back in the ring and fight some more, he declined. Fuchi had a whale of a time out there.

Seiya Senada beat former tag team partner Joe Doering just after 5 minutes with an O'Connor roll with bridge, and then got lamped for his trouble afterwards. Doering then similarly brutalized two ring boys. The crowd were going berzerk for "ANDY! ANDY! ANDY!" (Wu) to give it a go, so Joe smashed him too. Not a nice man.

Masakatsu Funaki & Minoru Tanaka next beat Jun Akiyama and Atsushi Aoki. Funaki's Indian summer goes on, he looks in great form and I look forward to his challenge of Akiyama because frankly he's beaten everyone else already. Bad week for Aoki, he went down to the Hybrid Blaster (hammerlocked tombstone).

Takao Omori and Manabu Soya were only allowed to "get wild" for about five minutes before Doering came down and tried to beat them up by himself. Hilariously, the crowd were chanting for Andy to try and break it up. After the champs got their stuff together and sent Doering running, he challenged them to a tag team title shot. The champs seemed unperturbed and even seemed to be asking who on earth would partner Doering (he did turn on Senada after all). Soya even suggest Andy was the man for the job! Ironically, it was Andy & Nakanoue that the champs thought were insulting as opponents and chose to fight each other instead. I strongly suspect this was moved down the card (originally scheduled as main event) because with a 12 KO they knew they would struggle for people to get away and to Sumo Hall by 3 for the G1 finals, wanted to present a card everyone could see all of, and didnt want to shave anything off the Junior Heavyweight title match.

Suwama continued his feud with Masayuki Kono next in tandem with Shuji Kondo and New Japan junior legend Koji Kanemoto respectively. This was a bit wild, Suwama seemed to have a bit of "main event gut" going on (not a bad thing). Suwama eventually bored (as I did) of Kono's knee based offence and obliterated him with a Last Ride, which was impressive.

Finally the rematch 12 months in the making as Hyper League winner Hiroshi Yamato took on Junior kingpin, former partner/perennial rival KAI. I felt so bad for these two as last year they were trying to win over a shattered crowd drained for the 30 minute war they had just seen with Suwama/Soya/Senada v Kea/Kondo/Kaz, this year they were struggling with a crowd that a large portion of which were anxious to get out to make sure they got to Sumo Hall in time. I wish I knew enough Japanese to tell them "this is a surefire belter, you can surely miss some of Archer and MVP for this."

Crowd was rabid for Yamato from start to finish and in the hot spells you always suspected he had his Spider German up his sleeve. He absorbed most of KAIs best offence and avoided the Perfect Driver, but you suspected it might not be his day when his Spider German and senton didnt get the job done. He fell victim to a Perfect Driver which he kicked out from, then a second sitout piledriver only yielded a one! After another flurry he put KAI away with his cross-armed German suplex to a HUGE pop, which unfortunately triggered a mass exodus to the doors as we had less than 15 minutes to get to Ryogoku across town. Yamato deserved better to be honest, as a man who had only seen either of them wrestle once before - last year's match in the same building - even I got emotionally into his quest to finally win the belt, and it was an absolute winner of a match. Best match I've seen all week, can't wait to fully appreciate his ascension on YouTube or DVD.

Good show, incredible main event.

I'll write the G1 finals up from home sweet home.

• Paid Members
Did you manage to make it to Ryogoku in time to see all of the finals?

I saw everything I wanted to, yeah.

Here is what went down at the G1 Climax Finals at sold out Sumo Hall.

They must have known the All Japan show would keep many from getting there bang on time and delayed the start time. I only got off the train at 3 oclock exactly and there will still some pissing around outside meeting up with my host and getting a vending machine to give me some Aquarius before heading inside, and even then the MVP/Archer match seemed to go on about 5 minutes before we heard the "10 minutes passed" announcement. As I was giving TSVE a brief rundown on what he had missed at All Japan, the native in the seat in front turned around and, though smiling, raised his finger to his lip in the internationally-known "shh" motion. My host simply shook his head and said "No. I don't know what else to tell you." Honestly, I can't tell you anything about the Archer / MVP match as I'm sick to death of both of them and was too busy working through the permutations of each group in my head. MVP won the Irreversible Crisis meaning we didn't have to entertain the thoughts of Archer making the final. As the clique in front of us started making excited noises upon Porters victory, TSVE kicked the back of our antagonists chair, saying "Shut up! Cunt." He ignored that.

As the card progressed it followed last years standard - the chasing pack systematically getting beaten in each group leaving one match in each which would determine the final. This may have been expected, but some of what followed really didn't. Early on I noticed a cracking banner endorsing Okada that read "No rain, no rainbow." Which famous philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits.

Up second was crowd favourite Hiroyoshi Tenzan and the brilliant Shinsuke Nakamura. There is something powerful about being in a packed, passionate medium-large arena when one of your favourite themes plays and "Subconscious" is up there with my favourites. As for Tenzan, he is universally adored in this building like no other apart from Nagata. Shinsuke continues to baffle with some of his antics, practically skipping in the corner when getting ready to go for Boma Ye. After his first one missed, we suspected his next one would be crucial after blasting Tenzan with a knee strike from the second rope. However as he came running in Tenzan headbutted him hard in the chest, then hit an Original TTD and then the moonsault press for the first of the nights upsets. It was a hard road to home for Nakamura anyway, in victory he would have needed Naito and Okada to both lose, but I still didn't see this coming. What next for the Intercontinental Champion? That still feels weird typing about New Japan.

At this point Katsuyori Shibata made an entrance and sat ringside. He would later reveal he is coming back to New Japan. No surprise for me, he didnt exactly set the MMA world alight.

Thirdly the brave and resilient Tetsuya Naito came out for his match with the brick shithouse we call Hirooki Goto. I speculated Goto wouldn't fuck about the way MVP did in Yokohama, but he still did too much that didn't focus on the injured knee for my liking. Goto nearly got surprised with a front cradle and a Polvo de Estrella, and worst of all when he had Naito down after a thunderous lariat, he went for his firemans headbreaker instead of Shouten Kai, which resulted in a victory roll he nearly didnt escape. Ultimately though Naito was on borrowed time and went down after the headbreaker and eventually Shouten Kai.

All of which meant Kazuchika Okada and Togi Makabe would face off with the winner topping the group and going through, Okada outright on points, Makabe by virtue of head to head over Okada and his previous win over Naito. Okada showed more dick heel tendancies here than he did on Saturday but again didnt ever truly exert himself. He took a hard powerbomb and Makabes Spider German suplex but was able to avoid the King Kong kneedrop and pasted Makabe with the Rainmaker for the win.

A Block started its own round up with Satoshi Kojima and Shelton Benjamin. This match again highlighted that Shelton isnt actually that bad, although its strange to see a new gaijin getting decent booking that isn't a big monster, or part of a tag team or coming in with a big reputation. Highlights were a Shelton tope con hilo that took out Kojima and two ring boys, and Kojima managing to execute his flying elbow but completely miss the static Benjamin. Bad day at the office for Koji I guess. This was compounded moments later by a missed lariat allowing Shelton to hit Paydirt for the upset in just inside ten minutes. Added to the win over Marufuji and Benjamin looks like he could be a force, assuming he is invited back.

Speaking of Marufuji, he was up next with Yano. A Marufuji win would fuck over Anderson in the final group match, which should have telegraphed the result, but I didnt even want to contemplate it. About halfway through the bout when 'fuji went back first into the steel buckle which Yano had (of course) exposed, I remarked "that's four times he's gone into that buckle, he really shouldn't win now" and sure enough after the second low blow of the match, Yano rolled Marufuji over and hooked him for a cheap pin. Such is the even booking in the group format that a man of Marufujis stature can go twenty minutes with Tanahashi and beat him, thus demanding a title shot, but then be brought back down via an eight minute loss to Shelton, and then this farce.

Next came a dead rubber, but a hell of a match to have "no meaning" as perennial rivals Yuji Nagata and Minoru Suzuki locked horns. If you've seen any of their recent matches and especially any matches against each other, you'll know what to expect. But that doesn't mean it wasn't feisty, fun and delivered the popular result, Nagata after two backdrops, the second of which was held. At this point pushing for match of the night honours.

Finally Hiroshi Tanahashi came out against Karl Anderson, and found out that he still has detractors at Sumo Hall. Nothing like at Korakuen, but there were boos every time he did anything approaching a pose. After a very good back and forth match Karl set up the Gun Stun, which I assumed would be his mistake, but Hash tried to counter with a Sling Blade, which Karl easily thwarted with a backslide attempt, but he turned that right around into the Gun Stun. It only needs the one, and Tanahashi was a beaten man! The champ was pinned for a THIRD time in the group adding the wins of Marufuji and Suzuki. The woes are piling up, and things looked incredibly bright for Karl, the first gaijin to reach a G1 final since the NWA-enforced Rick Rude. If his finish wasn't the same as Randy Orton I'd suggest WWE hired the wrong member of Bad Intentions and take a look at Karl.

After intermission came the final.

I can't say too much about this twenty minute blinder, completely emotionally torn as I was between my personal favourite Okada and the rising star and recipient of brave booking, the Machine Gun. Karl endured all of Okada's biggest hits, the flying elbow, the upside down headbreaker and fireman carry reverse implant DDT. Both men battled over a tombstone neither could get. Okada erred by going for a second elbow off the top, and Karl met him up there than annihilated him with an amazing TKO off the top. He followed that up with a Bernard Driver and the crowd was absolutely frothing at the metaphorical gash to see Karl pull off the upset. The finish I had imagined was a Gun Stun attempt reversed into a Rainmaker attempt but then a double reversal doing it for Karl, which I thought had happened but Okada pushed him off to the ropes and hit a beautiful dropkick to leave both on the mat. At the point the tide was truly turned and the building resonated with cries of "Okada! Okada!" Okada then hit the tombstone he had wanted, and another reversal sequence finally resulted in the Gun Stun reversed into a Rainmaker which Karl sold like an absolute champ. Much like the Gun Stun, with the Rainmaker it only takes one.

After match Gedo told us that in a year Okada had won the title and the G1, the only thing left would be to regain the title at the Tokyo Dome, January 4th. I guess that frees up Tanahashi to see off expected challenges from Marufuji, Suzuki and of course, Karl Anderson. Much like last year the real story coming out of this all is actually the beaten finalist, and like Naito before him you expect bigger things from Karl.

That's it for this tour of duty. A repeat of last years 8 shows in 8 days, this time taking in 6 different promotions. Match of my visit was almost Sekimoto/Tanaka for the second year running, but it actually must go for the well-executed, dramatic and emotional KAI vs Hiroshi Yamato. The G1 final ran it close as well. MVP (not Porter) without doubt however, simply has to be Karl Anderson for that performance. He made Okada look like the star he is, and became one in the process.

Will I be back to do it all again next year? Who knows. I'd like to. In three weeks of my life in this beautiful country I've clocked up 16 shows from 7 companies, and if I do it again I will make a concerted effort to get to some Dragon Gate and/or Ice Ribbon, but then it's hard to choose anything over seeing as much of the G1 as possible as it makes for an incredible emotional investment when you watch the finals day go down.

THE END

• 10 months later...
  • Paid Members

SUPER BUMP~!

tumblr_mpl4uiVi9L1svsahho1_400.jpg

Yes, I'm doing this again. I have my tickets booked and Japanese mobile rental sorted, heading out 31st to touch down 8AM their time Thursday 1st, for nine days of rasslin'.

Here's what I said last time out :

In three weeks of my life in this beautiful country I've clocked up 16 shows from 7 companies, and if I do it again I will make a concerted effort to get to some Dragon Gate and/or Ice Ribbon, but then it's hard to choose anything over seeing as much of the G1 as possible as it makes for an incredible emotional investment when you watch the finals day go down.

At this point, the schedules aren't up on Purolove for all that many promotions into the early weeks of August, and some promotions that I would go and see, especially JWP, are running shows that clash with the ones I'm definitely going to. The week after I come home, DDT also run Budokan with newly crowned "King of DDT" (tournament winner) HARASHIMA challenging for the KO-D Openweight Title, and current IWGP champ Kazuchika Okada wrestling Kota Ibushi, plus the same weekend is JWP at Korakuen and Stardom X Stardom which I thoroughly enjoyed last year. JWP run Itabashi Green Hall on the Sunday before I leave but my Sunday as ever will be rammed. If I'm not careful, might be no Joshi at all for me this year!

Noah run Differ Ariake on Sunday 4th, but my host informs me that it's a bit out of the way. Even if it's an afternoon show, might be tricky getting back to Korakuen in time for Fire Festival Finals. The tour begins in earnest on Saturday 10th, but that clashes with New Japan's first night at Ryogoku, and it's in Narita, so that's definitely out too. My own choices of rasslin are affected both by my own local knowledge (and inherent uselessness) and also by the fact my host is watching the pennies as he's coming back to Blighty in October, so anywhere really hard to get to is likely out. But no time to dwell on what I'll miss, here's a look at what I'm going to see :

NJPW, 02.08.2013 (TV Asahi Ch.2)

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

- This is hopefully nailed on for me. This show is the reason for my slightly earlier flight, as rather than the traditional Saturday "go home" show, New Japan run Korakuen the Friday before. Two years in a row this has been a dynamite atmosphere, and last year was totally worth the queuing to get two of about the last five standing room only (SUPER NO VACANCY!) tickets. Host is working and so can't come to this one, but I've asked him to get me a ticket while he's buying the other G1 and Fire Festival tickets.

DDT "BEER GARDEN FIGHT 2013", 03.08.2012

Shin-Kiba 1st RING

- Having not seen DDT, this was a no-brainer. They are running Thursday-Sunday but my schedule is full for Friday and Sunday, and given that I'd likely have a choice of joining up with my host after work on the Thursday or attending DDT sitting on my suitcase, that's probably out, but he's "well up" for the Saturday mini-show. I've done Shin-Kiba before and while it's a bit of a longer train ride than Sumo Hall or Yokohama, it's still a piece of piss.

ZERO1, 04.08.2013

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

- Fire Festival Finals. Third year in a row. Complete no-brainer, we will both be going to this.

BJW "DAINICHI NIGIWAIZA THEATER ~CROWN SHINING TO YOU~, 05.08.2013

Yokohama Nigiwaiza

- I might have to give this a go, depending on how easy it is to find the venue from the train station, and the ticket situation, just to say I've seen Big Japan. Daisuke will be there, and he basically won me over the very first day I watched wrestling in Tokyo. It would be nice, and it would reduce my "no wrestling" downtime by a day.

NJPW, 08.08.2013 (Samurai! TV)

Yokohama Bunka Gymnasium

- Traditional trip to Yokohama, we'll both be going to this. Probably traditional trip to Chinatown before hand.

NJPW, 10.08.2013 (TV Asahi Ch.2)

Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

- THIS is the reason New Japan aren't running "go-home" at Korakuen on Saturday, they're doing two nights at Sumo Hall instead. In for both.

AJPW, 11.08.2013 (GAORA TV)

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

- Second year in a row, All Japan are kicking off the Summer Impact tour on the afternoon of the G1 finals. If the pattern follows last year, host will decide he can't be bothered, so I'll traipse on up on my tod to mumble "go-sen yen chiketto, ichi-mae" myself. I doubt I will see anything that will match last year's KAI/Yamato belter, and I hope they get their timing better so they aren't having the main event in front of a steadily emptying Hall as the rest of us get itchy about "c'mon, got a train to Ryogoku to catch!" I'm sure I'll go, the Burning lads will be there after all, although at this point it remains to be seen who else will.

NJPW, 11.08.2013 (WPW)

Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

- G1 finals day. Another no-brainer. The reason I get on the plane, to be blunt.

In terms of specifics, the blocks have been announced for the G1, but no cards yet. Given that Tanahashi isn't the champion going in this year, I expect him to win the "group of death" and honestly, the other group is Nakamura's to lose. I've enjoyed the underdog stories, but with (presumably) Okada waiting for the winner, I truly believe this year we'll have the Tanahashi/Nakamura final to blow the roof off.

A BLOCK

tumblr_mpl4q3PPZo1svsahho1_500.jpg

B BLOCK

tumblr_mpl4r40ktH1svsahho1_500.jpg

As for the Fire Festival, I remarked to host that Daisuke and Tanaka are in the same group again, and that they wouldn't be kind enough to give us Tanaka/Sekimoto III at Korakuen... and they haven't, although they have given us in Sekimoto v Sato a rematch from the 2011 final, and Obata (who so impressed me in his title-winning effort last year) should give Tanaka a good fight. Also, I had guessed that we might get a Tanaka/Otani nostalgia final this year, and the show follows the pattern that the last match of the night from each block will definitely produce the finalists... it's looking pretty good. I don't see Yoshie giving Otani any problems, even if he's lost about 200lb since when I saw him last.

ZERO1, 04.08.2013

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Fire Festival - Block B: James Raideen vs. Yuji Okabayashi BJW

2. Fire Festival - Block B: Shinjiro Otani vs. Yutaka Yoshie

3. Fire Festival - Block A: Maybach Beta vs. KAZMA SAKAMOTO

4. Fire Festival - Block A: Kohei Sato vs. Daisuke Sekimoto BJW

5. Fire Festival - Block A: Masato Tanaka vs. Yusaku Obata

6. Fire Festival - Final:

Domo arigato gozaimasu. Merii Kurisumasu!

I'd imagine your schedule is already set but I do believe that August 4th NOAH show will be their 13th year Anniversary show and also where Zack Sabre Jnr will challenge Taiji Ishimori for the GHC Jnr Heavyweight Championship as he laid down the challenge at todays show and the rest of July's tour is dedicated to the Jnr Tag League for the vacant belts.

• Paid Members

Take a picture of Lance Hoyt in his skull mask when you're over there and upload it, please. That's a fine mask.

It might say more about me than anything but I've went from Matt Morgan-esque hate to full on love with Lance Archer since I saw him wear a skull mask and leather jacket combo while riding a motor bike at the January iPPV. Archer and Davey Boy Smith Jr are class together.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the NTV Cup finishes before I get there, Departure is the 4th, then Summer Navi kicks off on the 10th. Unfortunately Departure is a 4PM bell, so even if Ariake wasn't a ballache, I doubt it would be finished before Fire Festival starts at 6.30.

Take a picture of Lance Hoyt in his skull mask when you're over there and upload it, please. That's a fine mask.

It might say more about me than anything but I've went from Matt Morgan-esque hate to full on love with Lance Archer since I saw him wear a skull mask and leather jacket combo while riding a motor bike at the January iPPV. Archer and Davey Boy Smith Jr are class together.

That reminds me : I need to invest in a silver marker pen so I can try and get Archer to sign my KES shirt, that DBSJ signed for me at Rev:Pro.

• Paid Members

FUCK YEAH, line ups.

NJPW, 8/2/13 (TV Asahi ch1 & ch2)

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. G1 Climax – Block B: Karl Anderson vs. Shelton Benjamin

2. G1 Climax – Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Yujiro Takahashi

3. G1 Climax – Block B: Yuji Nagata vs. Toru Yano

4. G1 Climax – Block A: Prince Devitt vs. Lance Archer

5. G1 Climax – Block A: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Satoshi Kojima

6. G1 Climax – Block A: Togi Makabe vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.

7. G1 Climax – Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi

8. G1 Climax – Block B: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Minoru Suzuki

9. G1 Climax – Block A: Hirooki Goto vs. Kazuchika Okada

10. G1 Climax – Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii

NJPW, 8/8/13 (Samurai! TV)

Yokohama Bunka Gymnasium

1. G1 Climax – Block B: Kota Ibushi vs. Yujiro Takahashi

2. G1 Climax – Block B: Yuji Nagata vs. Karl Anderson

3. G1 Climax – Block A: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Prince Devitt

4. G1 Climax – Block A: Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomohiro Ishii

5. G1 Climax – Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

6. G1 Climax – Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Lance Archer

7. G1 Climax – Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs. Toru Yano

8. G1 Climax – Block A: Hirooki Goto vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.

9. G1 Climax – Block B: Minoru Suzuki vs. Shelton Benjamin

10. G1 Climax – Block A: Togi Makabe vs. Satoshi Kojima

NJPW, 8/10/13 (TV Asahi ch1 & ch2)

Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. G1 Climax – Block A: Prince Devitt vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.

2. G1 Climax – Block B: Karl Anderson vs. Yujiro Takahashi

3. G1 Climax – Block A: Satoshi Kojima vs. Lance Archer

4. G1 Climax – Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Yuji Nagata

5. G1 Climax – Block B: Toru Yano vs. Shelton Benjamin

6. G1 Climax – Block A: Togi Makabe vs. Tomohiro Ishii

7. G1 Climax – Block B: Kota Ibushi vs. Minoru Suzuki

8. G1 Climax – Block A: Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata

9. G1 Climax – Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

10. G1 Climax – Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada

NJPW, 8/11/13 (WPW)

Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. Special Tag Match: Kazushi Sakuraba & Akebono vs. Takashi Iizuka & YOSHI-HASHI

2. G1 Climax – Block B: Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki

3. G1 Climax – Block B: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Shelton Benjamin

4. G1 Climax – Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs. Karl Anderson

5. G1 Climax – Block B: Yuji Nagata vs. Yujiro Takahashi

6. G1 Climax – Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Kota Ibushi

7. G1 Climax – Block A: Lance Archer vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.

8. G1 Climax – Block A: Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada

9. G1 Climax – Block A: Hirooki Goto vs. Tomohiro Ishii

10. G1 Climax – Block A: Togi Makabe vs. Prince Devitt

11. G1 Climax – Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata

12. G1 Climax – Final: Block A 1st place vs. Block B 1st place

Oh, fucking yes.

Match order doesn't give away the final like I thought it might, unless Tenzan or Ibushi are making the final. Doesn't sound right.

If I'm not careful, might be no Joshi at all for me this year!

For what it's worth Ice Ribbon run dojo shows every Wednesday and Saturday.

On a slightly related tip, Emi Sakura's Gatoh Move are running Aug 9 - 11. They have other shows earlier in August but Ameba is down for maintenance at the moment so I can't check.

Additionally Ayumi Kurihara's retirement show is early August too (5/8).

Way too many people in the G1 again but good to see Ishii get a spot. Shame Yano and Yujiro haven't been blown off into space and it would have been nice to get Shibata/Ibushi.

I'll go Tanahashi putting Naito over in the final.

Archived