What went WRONG with "THE POPE" Elijah Burke!?

LWOLeN

06.jpg

Debuted on Smackdown in 2006 after being a product of WWE Developmental.

Was dubbed by Vince himself as " the future"

Wrestled on WrestleMania 23

Debuted in TNA in 2009

Main evented TNA Against All Odds 2010 and defeated MR. Anderson

Was built up huge to be the next TNA World Champion

Got injured

Lost in obscurity

Having only 7 points in the BFG series...

WHAT WENT WRONG!?

He's been brilliant in short spells. When he first appeared in WWE I loved him. Had a good look, was athletic and charismatic. But he never really got involved in any decent programs after the New Blood vs. ECW Originals thing.

Then when he debuted in TNA I thought his Pope gimmick was one of the best in the business at the time and thought he was a stick on for the Heavyweight Title but again he's just faded into obscurity.

He's a wasted talent just now but hopefully things start happening for him again soon.

Face, heel, face, heel.. TNA poopy booking happend to him. Wasted talent now yes, was on a pretty big role and i like the gimmick. But its been around for what seems years and nothing of note has come of it. He's now just a guy who calls himself POPE

Yeah, it's weird. I really think the feud with Joe derailed him, much like Bobby Roode's feud with Booker T ruined him for a while. Maybe he's a massive cock, but I think eventually they'll do something good with him; or he'll go back to WWE more likely.

• Paid Members
Yeah, it's weird. I really think the feud with Joe derailed him, much like Bobby Roode's feud with Booker T ruined him for a while. Maybe he's a massive cock, but I think eventually they'll do something good with him; or he'll go back to WWE more likely.

I thought it started going downhill when he won a Title shot at AJ Styles and, despite having two months, TNA did nothing to build it up as anything special. Even something basic like having Styles try and get out of the match, or hire somebody to try and make Pope didn't get to Lockdown would at least have made it seem important. Instead Pope just floated around the midcard while Styles did non-title jobs to half the roster. It made Styles look like a joke Champion and the match against The Pope seem like an after thought.

The Joe feud probably was the lowest point though.

It's because outside of the ring, he's great. He's a good promo, he's charismatic, he's got a good look and he can play both face and heel well. It's just once he steps through those ropes and starts to wrestle... all that good stuff just disappears and he's just another guy. Nothing from the outside translates to his in-ring work. It's such a shame.

I reckon he'd probably be quite good a manager, actually.

I thought he was great as leader of the new breed. He showed bags of potential.

Then I watched TNA on that Jan 4th episode and saw him as The Pope... and thought he was even more awesome. Enough to make me want to watch TNA the following week even (although I forgot about TNA a few days later so never tuned back in)

Last saw him on some indy/TNA show and what I saw was shit but that wasn't just The pope, it was the whole setup.

WWE should perhaps take him back and he himself should probably be seeking this as only WWE can really get him to the level he's capable of???

Archived