ROH impact on mainstream

kamicazze

That's glorious stuff right there. His effort to make MAtthews look good was he was part of a tag team where the other guy went on to stardom. He's not even the Jannety, that's an insult to Marty Jannety

To be fair though, they were pretty shit hot when they were together and had a fresh gimmick. They were a pretty hot unit before the inevitable split, and then the trouble started

I think it's fair to call about 10% of that list an ROH original. Hadn't Abyss already been booked by TNA when he made his ROH debut?

Paul London, Samoa Joe, Tyler Black and Austin Aries came to prominence in ROH. Almost everyone else on the list had had at least somewhat noteworthy runs elsewhere before their ROH debuts.

Since those four names haven't gone on to set the world alight, though Joe looked capable of doing so briefly a couple of years ago, you'd have to say in terms of producing 'originals' ROH has had a pretty small effect on the mainstream. Which is a shame actually, because I think London, Joe and Aries are all good performers.

Also, I think you've got the wrong Matt Striker.

• Paid Members
To be fair though, they were pretty shit hot for a tag team in WWEwhen they were together and had a fresh gimmick. They were a pretty hot unit before the inevitable split, and then the trouble started

• Paid Members

I'm 100% sure that Abyss had been working for TNA for at least a year before he even debuted in Ring Of Honor. The majority of your list were hardly guys that were discovered by Ring Of Honor, they were all pretty well known and alot of them had already done bigger things before debuting with ROH.

What are your overall thoughts on the effect that ROH has had on the overall landscape of professional wrestling/sports entertainment? Has it changed the way any company do things or do you think we would be where we are today inspite of ROH

A little, I guess, but only really because at the time it started the wrestling business outside of WWE was practically non-existent, and in the few years it took TNA to get properly up and running, ROH provided a place for ex-WWE or upcoming stars to get noticed. It's just a super-indy, like ECW was, and like ECW it's a stopping point for wrestlers on their way from obscurity to stardom.

Had ROH not existed, I would imagine that almost all of its "alumni" would have found their way to TNA or WWE sooner or later.

That match never got started or something?

I always thought that ECW's demise was a bit of a shame for York and Matthews, they were actually getting pretty entertaining as midgrade Hardy Boy knockoffs. I stumbled across a pretty fun 6 man handheld of theirs a few weeks ago w/ Dreamer v CW Anderson and another couple - probably Simon, Swinger, Bilvis or something like that.

Matthews was also pretty good as a heel in that 3PW fed that aired on TWC.

No idea. I imagine they have signed, if everyone is saying so. Dave Lagna said they have, and he's pretty close to the situation. Anything is better than the New Nexus, so I wouldnt mind them turning up.

Just wondering where did he mention this? I haven't paid attention to his work online lately.

• Paid Members

Neither have I. Someone on here said he said they have (cant remember who thoguh), so I'm just taking their word for it. I dont follow ROH. I've read a shit load of things on here and on the Observer site and then, you hear they havent signed so its unclear. I reckon we'll see them eventually though. The rumours are to strong for it to be bullshit.

Cary Silkin said this a few weeks ago though: "It's the same story, and we have been through this so many times. Whether it was CM Punk, whether it was Tyler (Black), Samoa Joe, Nigel (McGuinness), Bryan Danielson, or so on & so forth. These guys have been so loyal and have worked so hard. Naturally, we would love to have them in this new era of Ring of Honor, and we may. But if they have an opportunity to further their careers, on a personal note, I can't begrudge them. Nothing is signed, nothing is done yet. That's another thing where we are going to see what happens."

Archived