10 Years of WWE

RepoMan

See, I think this is a contradiction.

I don't see how. I'd like to see an environment where anyone can face anyone on the roster every single week of the year, not have them all face the same half dozen guys for 46 weeks with a few cameo cross-brand appearances thrown in.

• Paid Members
I don't see how. I'd like to see an environment where anyone can face anyone on the roster every single week of the year, not have them all face the same half dozen guys for 46 weeks with a few cameo cross-brand appearances thrown in.

I think early on the brand split was very effective in creating "dream" matches. For example, look at Kurt Angle/Shawn Michaels. The brand split's so dilluted that couldn't really happen now. I can't think of any interbrand match that would really be effective at this stage. Look at when Chris Benoit first jumped to RAW, or when John Cena moved. Seeing their entrances appear on the opposite show just felt odd. It's really too late to fix what they've done now, but if they were to try, a Smackdown move to Thursday in the states, followed by a complete roster freeze (no appearances on the rival show, and no draft for a while although they could do "contract expiry" type things)

Perhaps instead of a main roster draft for the first year after a freeze they could have an "FCW" draft. Basically, in the weeks prior to the draft they'd feature character building hype videos of the best new wrestlers - pretty much like they did in the very first season of NXT. Make them reality based and not overly gimmicky (again, much like NXT 1). Then they could feature in squash matches on RAW and Smackdown, showing off their skills.

Then these stars could be drafted to each brand via the GMs, freshening each show up whilst keeping that separation. Wrestlemania could be "the only place the brands clash", hopefully creating high-profile dream matches. And big stars can't only be on the RAW roster, it has to be much more equal than that.

If they don't fix the split, they should scrap it. It's just detrimental to the product as it stands.

I think early on the brand split was very effective in creating "dream" matches. For example, look at Kurt Angle/Shawn Michaels. The brand split's so dilluted that couldn't really happen now. I can't think of any interbrand match that would really be effective at this stage. Look at when Chris Benoit first jumped to RAW, or when John Cena moved. Seeing their entrances appear on the opposite show just felt odd. It's really too late to fix what they've done now, but if they were to try, a Smackdown move to Thursday in the states, followed by a complete roster freeze (no appearances on the rival show, and no draft for a while although they could do "contract expiry" type things)

Perhaps instead of a main roster draft for the first year after a freeze they could have an "FCW" draft. Basically, in the weeks prior to the draft they'd feature character building hype videos of the best new wrestlers - pretty much like they did in the very first season of NXT. Make them reality based and not overly gimmicky (again, much like NXT 1). Then they could feature in squash matches on RAW and Smackdown, showing off their skills.

Then these stars could be drafted to each brand via the GMs, freshening each show up whilst keeping that separation. Wrestlemania could be "the only place the brands clash", hopefully creating high-profile dream matches. And big stars can't only be on the RAW roster, it has to be much more equal than that.

If they don't fix the split, they should scrap it. It's just detrimental to the product as it stands.

I doubt it would happen but I'd love if they included an FCW Draft as part of the regular Draft or just in general ala most major American sports, like when guys get drafted from College to Pro. There'd def be some great storylines and unique talents to come up, it would be a great way of debuting people too I reckon.

Its hard to distinguish anything wwf from wwe, its only a name change, but my favourite moments from the last 10 years would be, Ric Flairs retirement match and angle, HBK vs The Undertaker, the Rise and Retirement of Edge, Jeff Hardy's WWE Championship win, The debut of the Nexus, CM Punk vs John Cena - MITB, Save Us Y2J, my man D-Bry, Christian wins World Championship, the Money In The Bank Concept, Elimination Chamber, Wrestlemania outdoor stadiums and John Morrison doing crazy stuff...

...and lets not forget the multitude of top notch matches that have taken place and...some fantastic (and some terrible) theme musics.

Next year will mark the 10th anniversary of the WWE name. In May 2002, the pandas finally forced Vince to relinquish the WWF name, and we were treated to the Get The F Out campaign - something I remember quite vividly. I felt it was quite clever at the time.

I never understood why those panda cunts even wanted to obtain exclusive rights to the initials WWF. Before that, and when I was younger and I saw a WWF panda sticker I

• Paid Members
I never understood why those panda cunts even wanted to obtain exclusive rights to the initials WWF. Before that, and when I was younger and I saw a WWF panda sticker I

I love wrestling too, Richie, but come on, apply some logic - if the wrestlers lost to the pandas and were forced by law to change the initials, it's because they were in the wrong, not the pandas.

The reason why WWF/E lost the rights was because they kept breaching the conditions of the agreement they'd come to with the WWF(N) to allow them to continue using the initials. It's not like the WWF immediately went straight after Vince to stop him, they were actually quite reasonable about it all.

It's a really interesting thing though - apparently, the WWF didn't give a shit about that as an organisation. Story goes, in the late 90s the WWF had this law firm hired to represent them who went on a bit of a rampage, throwing all sorts of lawsuits about without any real involvement from the WWF group itself. Vince McMahon was a high-profile victim of that.

In the article I read, the inference was that Vince could have settled fairly easily early on, but being Vince he threw two fingers up at them until past the point of no return.

I'll try and dig the story out.

Archived