2010 baby names

soretooth

This is quite interesting.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/Product.asp?vlnk=15282

It's the Office of National Statistics list of names people registered for their babies last year. Check the links for the 2010 boys and girls lists, they open as excel spreadsheets, and go to tab 6 which shows all the names registered last year for at least 3 children.

As an example of the bizarreness contained within, last year there were three boys named "Timotei". There's also some great spelling mistakes such as "Joesph", "Pheobe" etc. Check it out, there are some proper weird ones in there.

It appears people are now naming their daughters after dogs/Nitro girls/lapdancers. Taking the podium now... Storm, Heaven, Precious, Sky, Ruby-Tuesday, Princess and Sydney!

Or just random words from a DDP-esque positive thinking manual: Success, Rejoice, Blessing, Happiness

Or even cars: Shelby, Kia, Mercedes

Or, worse yet, hideous spellings of already-shit names: Mercedez, Mayzi, Daizy, Mickayla, Kaytlyn, Pheonix

Also I have never ever heard the name "Kian" before. (#72).

kian_egan_3.jpg

I can't believe Alfie is so high.

Alfie is a dogs name. If I met anyone called Alfie I would immediatly hate them. In the same way that I hate anyone called Lee, Liam or Ryan. Cunts!

You must really hate Lee Ryan from Blue. It's the name 'Olly' for me. Every time I hear it I picture the sort of cunt who wears rugby shirts with turned up collars and campaigns to be president of the student union. Either that or those really frail looking andogynous twats with big jewfros who call themselves 'models' and date people like Peaches Geldof and Diana Vickers.

• Paid Members

Nice "Sophie's Choice" pun in the press release headline. Not sure that's entirely what new mums want to think about...

If you add up three spellings of Muhammad and conveniently forget to do so for any other name or variants, and ignore the cultural element that the name is inherently overrepresented, it would be in fourth place. Also if you ignore the two spellings that have dropped in ranking, one of the spellings has risen in ranking. So now you know the trick when the Mail or Telegraph report this story later.

Also, Noah is at 18th, so congrats to Mark Sloan.

• Paid Members

Half of those should be illegal. Surely it's some kind of neglect to give your child a name that guarantees it's going to get the ever-loving fuck kicked out of it every day when it reaches school?. I know if I bumped into someone named Kayden now, I'd be tempted to chuck him in a bucket, just out of sheer principle. How are they going to survive childhood?.

I'm also disgusted at the lack of Sinbad's on the list. That's a name that needs to make a comeback!.

Half of those should be illegal. Surely it's some kind of neglect to give your child a name that guarantees it's going to get the ever-loving fuck kicked out of it every day when it reaches school?.

Apparently Glamma Moddell Nicola McLean's kids are called 'Rocky' and 'Striker'. Ironically, I think 'Striker' might be stuck in goal whenever the kids with normal names decide to actually let him play football with them, and for his sake I hope 'Rocky' boxes like his namesake.

Please note that Mohammed is at 17 and Muhammed is at 31. I make a point of this because it is an annual tradition for right wing shitrags like The Mail, The Express and The Star to run "Mohammed is the most popular name in once-Great Britain OMGZ!!!!1!" which is then trumpeted by our chums in the EDL and BNP as proof that you can't move for muzzies in our full up country. For example -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...Jack-Harry.html

And the rebuttal -

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/2010/10/whats-in-name.html

Do keep this ammo handy next time the pub bore starts spouting "...but I read it in the papers" bollocks.

EDIT - Some of you will know I enjoy a good sadface picture in the paper, look at the names the two pouting kiddie winks have been saddled with -

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2096487...ts_in_sweetcorn

• Moderators

I think it's fair game to add up all the different spellings of the name to get an overall picture of how popular it is because it's a name that originates from a different alphabet so it is actually all the same name.

And when you do this it comes out #1. All that really proves though is that muslims are pretty unimaginative when it comes to naming their children.

Well, now you don't have to choose anymore!

I see your Kayden and raise you Kaii

"SEE, COS IT'S UNIQUE INNIT; ALL THE OTHERS AVE ONLY GOT ONE I"

Which they probably have, they're so inbred.

Edit: Also Diesel. Fucking DIESEL

I can't believe Alfie is so high.

Alfie is a dogs name. If I met anyone called Alfie I would immediatly hate them. In the same way that I hate anyone called Lee, Liam or Ryan. Cunts!

I'm a Ryan :( I've seen a few people say they instantly hate Ryan's. I quite like it to be honest, I'm not one of those that hates their name, it's nice and easy and not common as muck. Although if we are all cunts there's probably a reason for that :laugh:

Archived