Smackdown Spoilers For 7/29/11

ThePhenom

• Paid Members
But that's the whole point though. They're heating things up, to the point of you're wanting Bryan to smack that dobber Cole in the mouth. Given the reaction it's causing, I'd say they're doing well.

IT's been over a year. They;ve been doing that angle with cole *and blowing it off* for a YEAR. They've blown it off with bryan , they've blown it off with lawler and theyve blown it off with riley. thyve even kind of blown it off with Eve. its just wrecking far more important angles.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was really good, by Smackdown standards.

I don't give a fuck about anything Zeke Jackson does, and Cody Rhodes is starting to fall into that same boat for me as well, so their feud rematch series isn't grabbing me thus far.

Usos vs Nexus was fine, nothing special.

I'm a Ryder fan, but didn't think much of anything he did on this show other than when he was giving the pep-talk to Amazing Red or Johnny Richards or whoever it was that played Bobby Howard.

Sheamus/Henry was great! Looking forward to the continuation of it.

Barrett/Bryan was superb as well. I rate both of them really highly and hate how for the last two months they've just been having rematches with the same wrestlers for no rhyme or reason, so it was nice to see a talky bit give some context and motivation for a feud between them. Cole's petty insults cracked me up during that bit as well.

Orton vs R-Truth and the post-match antics from Orton were pretty textbook, can't complain. Christian vs Morrison was good, as was the Triple H speech.

I think they should do something with those two diva factions other than just having pointless matches between them every week. There's potential in them if they just did some character stuff for a bit.

However I can't see the sense in Morrison being beaten in his first match back

The storyline seems to be that he's come back too early. Whether they follow up on that remains to be seen, though.

(or giving his first match back away for free on TV)

He's John Morrison, not Steve Austin!

I have zero time for Jinder Mahal. He can fuck right off. Hes shit.

Aye, I never realised until this show, but his character's just a crap version of Del Rio.

• Paid Members

King Pitcos, have to disagree about Jinder Mahal. I like how they've explored a different culture by having it come out that Jinder's married to Khali's sister and has threatened to bring disgrace on his family by divorcing her, essentially making Khali his slave. I love the dynamic between the two, and really find their whole storyline very well done. However, the lack of English spoken in the storyline makes it seem to me the storyline's aimed more at the Indian market. I wish they'd either subtitle his promos or have him speak English though, they could always record two separate promos so each market can follow them.

As for someone saying the Michael Cole thing's to build up to Bryan socking him one, well, they've already had him do that before. I like Cole's character, but he annoys the he'll outta me on commentary, possibly more than Booker does.

King Pitcos, have to disagree about Jinder Mahal. I like how they've explored a different culture by having it come out that Jinder's married to Khali's sister and has threatened to bring disgrace on his family by divorcing her, essentially making Khali his slave. I love the dynamic between the two, and really find their whole storyline very well done.

I don't. Partly because they don't seem to have told Khali the thing about the marriage/slavery aspect, and he seems chuffed to bits to be mating around with Jinder. And partly because they sort of shoved that explanation in one week during a match, and forgot about it straight afterwards.

But largely because the "rich foreign aristocrat" gimmick is currently being done better by someone else at the moment, and they haven't got much confidence in Jinder so he gets the odd win over Yoshi Tatsu or Trent Baretta and does nothing of interest.

• Paid Members
I don't. Partly because they don't seem to have told Khali the thing about the marriage/slavery aspect, and he seems chuffed to bits to be mating around with Jinder. And partly because they sort of shoved that explanation in one week during a match, and forgot about it straight afterwards.

But largely because the "rich foreign aristocrat" gimmick is currently being done better by someone else at the moment, and they haven't got much confidence in Jinder so he gets the odd win over Yoshi Tatsu or Trent Baretta and does nothing of interest.

I find Del Rio totally tedious to be honest. Take away Ricardo Rodriguez and his act becomes intolerable for me. I can totally accept Del Rio's better in ring than Jinder, but I wouldn't say their gimmicks are overly similar. They DO need to clearly define exactly what Mahal's supposed to be though, or he could become one of those 'boo because I'm foreign' kind of guys.

On another note, I hope they do something with Brodus Clay soon. He's my favorite NXT contestant that didn't appear in season one and has bags of potential. Problem is he's potentially a very similar heel to Mark Henry, so maybe they should draft Clay to RAW.

Random question......is there a reason the New Nexus came out to the same music as Justin Gabriels new one?!

I noticed that and it 's 1 of those things that I really shouldn't care about but it annoys me. Then again if Ultimo Dragon can steal Ricky Steamboats theme and CM Punk can be given a theme that wasn't good enough for Orton after one use why can't everyone on Superstars have the same theme. They only venture onto a show people actually watch once every 6 months anyway and who's going to remember? Could be worse Gabriel might get stuck with Miss Kittys theme now like Orlando Jordan.

• Paid Members

K

Could be worse Gabriel might get stuck with Miss Kittys theme now like Orlando Jordan.

He had Candice Michelle's dance remix in FCW, might be time for it to make a return...

Smackdown wasn't a bad show if you watched it on mute, someone seriously needs to do something about Booker's nonsensical ramblings and Cole continually shouting over everyone else, a lot of people hated Striker for his wink wink insider comments and in-jokes but at least he could call a match like a proper announcer should.

I've never enjoyed watching Mark Henry more than I am right now, his badass destroyer role is fantastic and the pop Sheamus received when he appeared to challenge Henry was great.

I've been saying for a while that Jinder Mahal is essentially an Indian version of Del Rio only without the fancy cars, as Pitcos mentioned above Mahal's relationship with Khali and the explanation Singh gave for Khali's heel turn has been ruined by Khali's inability to do something as simple as look sad. Mahal has threatened to shame Khali's family by divorcing his sister yet Khali looks and acts like Mahal's bestest friend, if Khali can't even pretend to be angry or upset then this entire storyline is destined to fail. I wonder if this storyline has been swept under the rug because someone has has added "act" to the long list of things that Khali can't do. From what I've seen Mahal and Khali exist solely to give the audience a target to chant "USA" at.

Teddy Long is abysmal and has been for a long time, hopefully adding Ryder to the mix will help. I was worried that Ryder's position was going to be a stupid one-night only type affair where Ryder gets destroyed by someone by the end of the night and it's never spoken of again, luckily they did right and it should be interesting seeing how it all unfolds.

Divazzzzz. There isn't a single Diva in the company that I'd bother knocking one out to, I'd even go as far as to suggest that today's Diva roster is the least attractive in the history of the company. Bring back Stacy Keibler, hell I'd even settle for Lita at this point.

Barrett and Bryan should be a great feud, I really like Barrett but he's yet to have that one great match, maybe he'll have it with someone like Bryan.

Personally I didn't like it when Trips announced that Christian and Orton would meet (again) at the next PPV for the World Heavyweight title because it made Christian and Orton's matches on Smackdown meaningless. Hunter should have made the Christian/Morrison match a title match and Orton/R-Truth a number one contenders match and said that the winners of the two matches would go to the PPV, we know it'll be Christian and Orton, but at least it would have made their matches seem important.

• Paid Members
Divazzzzz. There isn't a single Diva in the company that I'd bother knocking one out to, I'd even go as far as to suggest that today's Diva roster is the least attractive in the history of the company. Bring back Stacy Keibler, hell I'd even settle for Lita at this point.

What?! No way! In '94 you had the likes of Bull Nakano, Luna Vachon, Leilani Kai and Alundra Blayze - terrible!

In 1998 (unless plastic was your kinda thing) it was just as bad - outside of Sunny there was Sable (who looks as though her face is melting), Debra, Terri, Jacqueline, Luna, Chyna and possibly also Nicole Bass.

I mean, as characters the divas are bland as hell but I'd go as far as to argue it's at least one of the most attractive women's rosters ever. You've got Layla, Kelly, Rosa Mendes, AJ, Kaitlyn and Gail Kim...

Yeah, they're uninteresting at this point. But they're far from ugly.

Personally I didn't like it when Trips announced that Christian and Orton would meet (again) at the next PPV for the World Heavyweight title because it made Christian and Orton's matches on Smackdown meaningless. Hunter should have made the Christian/Morrison match a title match and Orton/R-Truth a number one contenders match and said that the winners of the two matches would go to the PPV, we know it'll be Christian and Orton, but at least it would have made their matches seem important.

What?! That makes no sense - why doe it make their Smackdown matches meaningless? Orton's beaten Christian more than the opposite, and Orton would be entitled to a rematch anyway under WWE law. Making the number one contenders match be between a RAW and Smackdown star would be non-sensical, as would randomly putting John Morrison into a title match against a Smackdown star.

Okay, perhaps "history of the company" was a bit of a stretch, maybe "in recent memory" would be more appropriate. The only Diva's who interest me in any way are Gail Kim and Maryse (until she opens her mouth). Kelly Kelly has a double chin, once you notice it for the first time you can't stop seeing it :D

What?! That makes no sense - why doe it make their Smackdown matches meaningless? Orton's beaten Christian more than the opposite, and Orton would be entitled to a rematch anyway under WWE law. Making the number one contenders match be between a RAW and Smackdown star would be non-sensical, as would randomly putting John Morrison into a title match against a Smackdown star.

Hunter said that Orton would meet Christian for the World Heavyweight Title at the next PPV, which means that Christian will be the champion going into the PPV and Orton will be the number one contender no matter what, so any matches which take place before the PPV don't serve any real purpose as there's no threat of Orton or Christian losing their spots. Christian should have kicked Morrison in the bollocks two seconds into their match and got disqualified, Christian had absolutely nothing to gain from having a long and competitive match with Morrison.

• Paid Members
Okay, perhaps "history of the company" was a bit of a stretch, maybe "in recent memory" would be more appropriate. The only Diva's who interest me in any way are Gail Kim and Maryse (until she opens her mouth). Kelly Kelly has a double chin, once you notice it for the first time you can't stop seeing it :D

I've never noticed it to be honest. It's her excessive use of fake tan I find a bit repulsive.

• Paid Members
Hunter said that Orton would meet Christian for the World Heavyweight Title at the next PPV, which means that Christian will be the champion going into the PPV and Orton will be the number one contender no matter what, so any matches which take place before the PPV don't serve any real purpose as there's no threat of Orton or Christian losing their spots.

False. Just because something is announced now as happening, it doesn't have to mean that Christian couldn't lose the title in the lead up.

I'm pretty sure there was a tag title match on a PPV back in the 90s where the match previously for the titles wound up not being for the title after the champions lost the belts prior to the show.

It shouldn't happen often, and it's unlikely to happen between now and Summerslam, but it doesn't mean it couldn't happen at all. Also, if Christian isn't booked in title matches on the lead up, it matters not anyway. While as has been said, Orton would have his rematch clause anyway. Also, as has been said, two Raw guys in number 1 contender spots for a Smackdown title would be fucking stupid.

With Summerslam only a fortnight away they're not almost certainly going to be rearranging the Smackdown main event now, and besides the whole "Orton deserves a rematch" thing is only a plot device. My complaint is that the outcome of the matches were decided as soon as the title match at Summerslam was announced, they should have spiced it up by putting Christian in a title match and having Orton compete to keep his spot. It's a personal thing but I can't stand watching matches knowing exactly who's going to win, MITB was a great example of the company getting it right, but the last few Raw's and Smackdown's have been really bad for it.

With Summerslam only a fortnight away they're not almost certainly going to be rearranging the Smackdown main event now, and besides the whole "Orton deserves a rematch" thing is only a plot device. My complaint is that the outcome of the matches were decided as soon as the title match at Summerslam was announced, they should have spiced it up by putting Christian in a title match and having Orton compete to keep his spot. It's a personal thing but I can't stand watching matches knowing exactly who's going to win, MITB was a great example of the company getting it right, but the last few Raw's and Smackdown's have been really bad for it.

If those matches had been for the title and number one contendership, the results would've been even more certain. Nobody would expect Morrison to beat Christian for the title, but he could win a non-title match, like he did once or twice against World champion CM Punk a couple of years back. Same with Orton and R-Truth. If that's for a title match with Christian at SummerSlam, Orton's obviously winning. If it's not for a title match, there are two potential outcomes: One, Orton wins. Two, Christian costs Orton the win.

I know I have said it before but fucking hell Michael Cole is killing Smackdown for me I can handle Booker he is just dumb but Cole's shouting over everyone is a massive distraction there are even points where Booker or the other guy will start talking only for Cole to cut them off and just go off on a rant not letting them get a word in.

Archived