Rey Mysterio

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His entrances get good reactions though dont they?

I don't see what that has to do with anything of the points I just made, but yeah. He's done pretty well to connect with the fans on the level that he has, in fact I've said on many occasions that he's easily one of the most popular men on the roster, second only to Cena. I'll give him all the credit in the world for that, but performance-wise he's just not my thing anymore. I believe that someone in the thread said that Rey should be coaching Sin Cara behind the scenes, I'd agree with that.

• Paid Members

I've never really got the Rey hate myself. I've always thought he does a great job and he is hardly ever positioned above the Upper midcard, so people shouldn't feel like he's getting shoved down their throats. Then again I missed all the Eddie crap before his title run, I'm guessing that put a lot of people off him.

I must say when he does his head to head thing with the kids during his entrance I always think "Aww! Rey's such a nice bloke".

His match with Cena last night was the first time I've enjoyed him in a long time. I get so sick of watching his hideously contrived spots and that splash of his is just disgusting. He's cringeworthy on the microphone too, I don't think I'll ever get the image of him singing happy birthday to his daughter out of my head, for all the wrong reasons too.

He does pop out the occasional cracker in all fairness, but I just feel like I'm watching the same match with him most of the time.

Yeah I don't understand wrestling fans who dislike Rey Mysterio, it's always a head-scratcher when I see him getting slagged off. The gimmick is great and has been presented brilliantly for about 15 years now. He's been a master of every style he's wrestled. I'd call him the Ricky Steamboat of his generation but I think he's surpassed Steamboat by a comfortable distance at this point.

He's also one of the only wrestlers you hear non-fans talk about in anything but mocking terms. Even now that he's slowed his style down considerably people still see him as a high-flyer, which is further testament to his Super-Hero-Luchador presentation.

Love a bit of Rey Mysterio, me.

He also has a great image, and he must shift enormous amounts of merchandise for WWE.

He's had more action figures made of him than any other wrestler ever, which is pretty impressive. I'm not sure if that's including the knock-off Dude Loves and Justin Credibles that have been sold in every Poundland for the last twelve years straight though.

• Paid Members
I usually can't stand him and refuse to watch anything he's a part of, but his match with Miz on last nights Raw was surprisingly quite good (until the finish) as was his performance at Money In The Bank.

You're quite a weak-willed individual then, aren't you? For some that refuses to watch Mysterio's matches you have watched at least two in the past 10 days. Man up.

He's had more action figures made of him than any other wrestler ever, which is pretty impressive. I'm not sure if that's including the knock-off Dude Loves and Justin Credibles that have been sold in every Poundland for the last twelve years straight though.

Heh, if you are including the Poundland knock-offs then Sin Cara is well up there. I see shit Mistico figures in every cheap shop strangely enough.

I'll put Rey up there with anyone in terms of consistency in the ring, especially on PPV or big TV matches, but the thing is I don't find him to be an engaging character at all. For everything people say about Cena's babyface act being tired and limiting, with Rey it's much worse. With Cena you get a sense of character. Sometimes it's infuriating or boring, true, but he'll come to the ring, talk about what's going on and he'll explain his specific motivations. He's got enough about him in terms of wit and charisma to make himself believable. I don't think Rey has that. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw Rey Mysterio cut a promo that isn't Underdog Babyface 101 - and that really inhibits his role in any angle he's involved in. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that, without a change, I could never imagine myself buying a PPV based on an angle Rey Mysterio was involved in. It's all just too basic and boring.

That said, it's still a pleasure to watch him wrestle. I just don't want to be asked to care about anything that involves him outside the ring.

• Paid Members
I'll put Rey up there with anyone in terms of consistency in the ring, especially on PPV or big TV matches, but the thing is I don't find him to be an engaging character at all. For everything people say about Cena's babyface act being tired and limiting, with Rey it's much worse. With Cena you get a sense of character. Sometimes it's infuriating or boring, true, but he'll come to the ring, talk about what's going on and he'll explain his specific motivations. He's got enough about him in terms of wit and charisma to make himself believable. I don't think Rey has that. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw Rey Mysterio cut a promo that isn't Underdog Babyface 101 - and that really inhibits his role in any angle he's involved in. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that, without a change, I could never imagine myself buying a PPV based on an angle Rey Mysterio was involved in. It's all just too basic and boring.

That said, it's still a pleasure to watch him wrestle. I just don't want to be asked to care about anything that involves him outside the ring.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I think it connects in with what I said about him not having the same edge that other, similar guys have - at no point have I ever seen him look or sound convincingly angry, which is odd for a guy who gets fucked over a lot.

Again, though - for the most part, I think he's one of the best around.

He does pop out the occasional cracker in all fairness, but I just feel like I'm watching the same match with him most of the time.

This.

Just the same moveset over and over, with the same five 619 teases in every match. In the past couple of years, even Cena has had more variety to his work.

Don't get me wrong I was a big fan of him in WCW, but hes just a shell of himself now. Plus his mic work is horrid, the whole speak one line Spanish then repeat and explain it in English gets right on my nerves.

One of my favs to watch and really one of the very best they have. Seems to go through spells of excellence. I've never watched him and thought, "that was terrible" but the match with Cena was epic. Credit to Cena as well for being so great as of late. Hopefully it's remembered and they can do it again down the road on a ppv.

• Paid Members

Mysterio's one of those wrestlers I've always thought has fit in better on Smackdown than on RAW. His Wrestlemania feuds on the brand are almost always cracking (Cody Rhodes, CM Punk, Matt Hardy, Eddie Guerrero). I think he's a brilliantly consistant wrestler, but for some reason I find him less enjoyable when he's on the Monday night show His feud with Mike Knox aside, I haven't really cared about much he's done during his Monday night spells.

Yeah I don't understand wrestling fans who dislike Rey Mysterio, it's always a head-scratcher when I see him getting slagged off. The gimmick is great and has been presented brilliantly for about 15 years now. He's been a master of every style he's wrestled. I'd call him the Ricky Steamboat of his generation but I think he's surpassed Steamboat by a comfortable distance at this point.

He's also one of the only wrestlers you hear non-fans talk about in anything but mocking terms. Even now that he's slowed his style down considerably people still see him as a high-flyer, which is further testament to his Super-Hero-Luchador presentation.

Love a bit of Rey Mysterio, me.

That's the bit that is likely to put many off. 15 years of the same act and anything can get tiring.

Whilst rey's a good wrestler, how about his mic skills? For a veteran... fucking hell innit.

Nice try.

I don't like Rey because I can't suspend my disbelief to the point where I can take him seriously anymore, he was fantastic in WCW and his first few years in the WWE before his knees gave up because he could move around quickly and catch bigger guys unawares with his incredible death defying moves. His matches now involve bumping like crazy, then hitting the 619 in a preposterously contrived way (even by wrestling standards) and then hitting a stupid splash which for a guy of his size shouldn't really even hurt his opponent. As Carbomb said, Rey comes across as so saccharine that I just don't even want to see him win matches anymore, in fact I take a certain satisfaction when the Elimination Chamber comes around because there's a good chance I'll get the pleasure of seeing Rey be picked up and thrown headfirst into something.

His splash looks like it hurts like fuck he always lands with all his weight he be about 13/14 stone shit like that will hurt

Archived