Wrestlemania - More often 'miss' than 'hit'?

Vice

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You almost forget Batista was on that show. I remember watching it and thinking he looked pissed off about something. Did he know all his jewellery had been robbed yet or was he just pissed off about being in one of the piss break matches?

I'd say a bit of both. You can't buy diamond stud earrings with brand supremacy.

• Paid Members
Cleets, Summerslam 2001 was balls.

Liar. Austin/Angle is perfect. Rock/Booker is a cracker, and is easily the Book's best main event level match ever. Edge/Lance Storm is a fine opener, and is easily Lance Storms best match ever. Same with Rhyno having (sorry) his best ever outing in a very good match with Jericho. Xpac and Tajiri had a quality cruiserweight match, and Jeff Hardy and RVD had a completely mental ladder match, that's impossible to look away from due to it's "car-crash" appeal.

And PLANET STASIAK ran into a shutter!.

• Paid Members

Wrestlemania I feel is much like a World Cup/FA Cup/Champions League final.

After all the hype and all the work to get there, if the time itself just isn't up to the quality it's been at all year then it's gonna feel like a dissapointment.

That's why I hated this years so much, it had so much to offer with Miz/Rock/Cena and Del Rio/Edge and only really delivered on HHH/Taker which itself wasn't as good as recent Taker WM matches. All the hype was a let down.

However on the opposite side Taker/HBK 2 was what a WM should be. Great run up to it and it made the event special. A good 'season' for WWE.

• Paid Members
Raven vs Rhino was great. I love that match. Raven really deserved more in 2001. He usually delivered.

That was pretty good, actually. One of my favourite hardcore matches they did. The 4-way for the US title at Summerslam in 03 was another class Rhyno match.

I should probably go back with my tail between my legs now, and change my statement to "best singles match of his career".

No love for even Austin vs Angle?.

You're a bad man

Got to be honest, I hated this match. It's a good battle, but one I really dislike because they should have delivered Angle kicking Austin all over the shop. And if they really wanted to keep the belt on him with that shitty finish, frankly they needed that sort of match for it to all make sense. Austin was incredibly selfish on some occasions as a heel that year, and this was the worst example. He knew how to be the pussy when he wanted, but I thought he (or whomever was responsible for putting it together - my gut tells me it was majority Austin on the spot out there), spent the twenty minutes or so making the choice not to do it like that. Angle got walked over just like he did with HHH the year before.

• Paid Members
No love for even Austin vs Angle?.

You're a bad man

What would you say his best was then?. I actually think Rhyno's underrated, but that jumps out to me as his best.

I wasn't crazy about Austin - Angle, I remember it feeling like a weird match at the time but all I remember it as now was finisher city and a dusty finish, I don't think I've ever seen it since mind. They've both had loads better. It might also just be because I bloody loved Angle and Austin together as reluctant, petty fighting mates. That and as much as Austin turning on Vince could work and as much of a riot as he was it never felt totally right Austin heading WCWs side.

Regarding Rhyno, admittedly there's few specific matches that stand out, I just know I wouldn't class his match with Jericho as his best. But, there was a US title match he had with Tajiri which was the penultimate match of some PPV. I also enjoyed a bout he had with Kane on Smackdown in the lead up to...or maybe following WrestleMania X7. I also liked his stuff teaming with Benoit briefly including a great 6 man with Kendrick against the FBI and against Eddie and Benoit in the Smackdown US title scene on Smackdown in '03. Those are all pretty vague memories though. And of course the aforementioned Raven match.

• Paid Members

I remember a match between Kurt Angle and Rhyno on Raw in late 2001 that I thought was ace at the time. Think it was for the US Title.

I liked Jericho/Rhyno at Summerslam but the thing that sticks in my memory most about it was Jericho slipping all over the place like a drunk. He slipped on the Lionsault attempt which could've ended really bad ie Hayabusa, then he fell off the top rope and let out a little scream. Poor Jericho he must have felt like a right tit.

edit- here's that Rhyno vs Angle match

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdtsmh_ra...-us-title_sport

Apologies if it's not as good as I remembered, I haven't seen it since it happened. Just recall thinking it was one of Rhyno's best matches at the time.

I'm quite surprised by the love for HHH/Cena at 22. Apart from the fantastic OTT entrances, I fucking hated it, mainly because I hated how incongruent the match seemed to the crowd reaction. Cena (probably at his most unbearable around this time) wrestled a babyface match while getting booed out of the building, and maybe it's just me but I always think Wrestlemania main events look a lot better with crowds celebrating after being sent home happy at the end, rather than shaking their heads in silent disgust.

Maybe I'd like it better if I watched it back without the volume.

Archived