Nash Is Back

fugaziuk

I guess I foolishly thought, what with Nash in the room, they might give the nWo their due. They spent 5/10 minutes talking about how successful the nWo was, then spent the rest of the time blaming it for everything.

JR was pretty spot on though. At least he's not a complete goon.

It sounds like at least one episode of LOW I've already seen (the factions one, or Monday night wars).

Edit: Just watched it. What a disappointment. They didn't even really talk about the NWO, certainly not to the extent you'd think given it was the show's subject. It was the Monday Night Wars one again, just with a different panel.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't even make it through the whole show, it just ended up being "how much can we shit on WCW" all over again. They skipped 99% of the NWO's timeline and when talking about the group being filled with losers they show Buff Bagwell...now that's not cool.

Is the Territories episode available to stream anywhere? I've watched the "Worst Characters" and "Badasses" episodes on YouTube and the "Monday Night Wars" episode on Dailymotion but I can't find the Territories episode.

I couldn't even make it through the whole show, it just ended up being "how much can we shit on WCW" all over again. They skipped 99% of the NWO's timeline and when talking about the group being filled with losers they show Buff Bagwell...now that's not cool.

I agree, Buff was your perfect " Dolph Ziggler" type midcard heel. He could have entertaining matches with about anyone in his nWo days.

I can't remember whether it was the Hall or Nash shoot but one of them said when the wolfpac t-shirts were produced (the red one with the pic of the wolf on the front) they only found out about it having seen them in the crowd. Of course they had words with management about getting a cut of that.

• Paid Members

Cant remember that story. The Wolf's head t-shirt was a fairly popular shirt at the time, which was debuted by Kevin Nash wearing it around Starcade time. I do remember they said, they saw Hogan wearing a t-shirt saying "Hollywood's Wolfpac" and told him if he wouldnt mind not doing it because they wanted to make the Wolfpac a group within the nWo.

Hogan's wearing the "Hollywood's Wolfpac" shirt here with a big Wolf head on it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4r43h_nw...elizabeth_sport

• Paid Members
It's still enjoyable, just ANOTHER missed opportunity by the WWE to relive the nWo.

I agree. It was enjoyable overall but there were some annoying lies/misinformation, most annoying was the previously mentioned crap about WCW ppv's not selling and Nash's messed up timeline.

It was enjoyable though, especially the part about the Horsemen parody and Nash talking about Arn's reaction and the "receipt" he got for it down the line. That was the only real new information I got out of it though, If you've watched a few shoots or WWE produced dvds on WCW, then you would have heard 95% of this before.

Worth watching to waste ninty minutes at a computer though. Thumbs in the middle.

Cant remember that story. The Wolf's head t-shirt was a fairly popular shirt at the time, which was debuted by Kevin Nash wearing it around Starcade time. I do remember they said, they saw Hogan wearing a t-shirt saying "Hollywood's Wolfpac" and told him if he wouldnt mind not doing it because they wanted to make the Wolfpac a group within the nWo.

Hogan's wearing the "Hollywood's Wolfpac" shirt here with a big Wolf head on it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4r43h_nw...elizabeth_sport

Sort of related, Chris Jericho says in his book that he bought his WCW action figure, and on the reciept it was identified as "WCW Hulk Hogan" or something

If you compare that, with the indepth doument that Nash claims each WWE wrestler recieves itemising their merch that gets shifted, you sort of understand what they might have been getting at. Instead of clarifying the point, they go off on a tangeant about WCW merchandising being improperly handled.

Dillon can swivel in this. Though, to be honest, it seemed bloody stupid he was even on this one. And that he was dressed in a shirt I think I wore on a night out in 2000.

Nash talking cash in the opening five minutes set to a load of clips was where this peaked, unfortunately. I said it in another thread - the recent Nitro DVD is the best and most even-handed WWE-made nWo retrospective we'll ever get. And they probably didn't even mean to make it that way.

• Paid Members
By the looks of it, nobody around that table was dealing in facts, so probably had no idea the incidents were 12 months apart. What a bitter fest that was. As much as I love Big Kev, that was a lot different to every shoot interview he's ever done on the subject. He throws his biggest ever career boon under the bus. Its mad. They were talking like in 1995, WWF was as it was today. The talk of "WCW had no merchandise or licensing compared to the WWF" was crazy. Who was selling merchandise in 1995/96 for WWF? Hulkster shirt, the nWo shirt and the Sting scorpion shirt were the biggest sellers in the business by a country mile. The Syxx-ball shirt was selling more than anything WWF was selling. WWF's merch was rotten in 1996. They were all pictures of people with their shirts off or leather Shawn Michaels hats. JJ Dillons point about WCW never doing well on PPV was idiotic as well, because its simply not true. Then to say "it hurt that they wanted to put all the people in this company who had jobs out of business" was hypocritical as well, after all the territory's WWF put out of business in the mid-80s. Then they actually bash WCW for making their production values better, calling it wasting money. It makes you wonder if anyone of them are aware of how daft its coming across as. WCW's history has enough material to easily put together a case to have a proper laugh at it. Why would they even need to lie?

I sort of assumed that Nash was saying that WCW didn't have the same kind of infrastructure for selling merchandise as the WWF did. For example, even in 1994, I could buy a Bret Hart or Diesel poster from Woolworths, if I so chose. WCW couldn't even be bothered sorting out a video distributer over here until the demand was long gone.

JJ Dillon was pretty terrible wasn't he? I was shocked that Nash never corrected him about the "never doing well on PPV" line and the whole thing about "the WWF was never going to go out of business because they only went live once every two weeks" was just mental.

Didn't Dillon actually QUIT the WWF for WCW anyway? I seem to remember it being reported as a major blow to Vince at the time but he made it sound like he only went to work for Bischoff because he had no other option.

I do love Michael Hayes on things like this. He tries to toe the company line with "You tried to take food off our tables" stuff but he just can't help marking out over how good it all was.

• Paid Members
I sort of assumed that Nash was saying that WCW didn't have the same kind of infrastructure for selling merchandise as the WWF did. For example, even in 1994, I could buy a Bret Hart or Diesel poster from Woolworths, if I so chose. WCW couldn't even be bothered sorting out a video distributer over here until the demand was long gone.

Because WWF was far bigger in this market than WCW was. In 1994 WCW was trying to edge out in there home market. The UK wasnt an issue for them over here just yet. Neither was Canada. WWF had a boom period over here in 1992, where as WCW came on TNT over here in a prime time slot in late 95/early 96. And as far as licensing the WCW name out, NASCAR vehicles, Monster Trucks, Motorcycle ralley's, the Cable Ace Awards, you name it WCW was dipping its toe in everything by 1996. Dillon and Nash are probably happy they are in Vince's good books again and think he'll actually watch the LOW show enough to name check them off for a Christmas bonus.

I do love Michael Hayes on things like this. He tries to toe the company line with "You tried to take food off our tables" stuff but he just can't help marking out over how good it all was.

Hayes seems to enjoy playing the role of devil's advocate in all of the LOW discussions I've seen him take part in. I rolled my eyes at the aforementioned "taking food off our tables" line but aside from that he's usually pretty good at keeping things interesting.

• Paid Members
Because WWF was far bigger in this market than WCW was. In 1994 WCW was trying to edge out in there home market. The UK wasnt an issue for them over here just yet. Neither was Canada. WWF had a boom period over here in 1992, where as WCW came on TNT over here in a prime time slot in late 95/early 96. And as far as licensing the WCW name out, NASCAR vehicles, Monster Trucks, Motorcycle ralley's, the Cable Ace Awards, you name it WCW was dipping its toe in everything by 1996. Dillon and Nash are probably happy they are in Vince's good books again and think he'll actually watch the LOW show enough to name check them off for a Christmas bonus.

True.

I just assumed that Nash was referring to the lack of merchandise in shops, internationally etc, because the idea that WCW had no merchandise or licensees at all is ludicrous. Of course, you are right, he probably was just going with the official rewritten History of WCW that no one knew what they were doing and they only had any success because of Ted Turner's money and the stars they stole from the WWF.

WCW really should've made more of an effort internationally though. From what I recall, WCW actually did have a distributor for the videos over here (the same one that did the early 90's ones) but WCW never bothered to find out why they weren't making the effort to sell them.

Archived