Save Us CM Punk Thread

Jambo

• Paid Members

WWE Champion CM Punk has now shown up at an AAW show tonight.

punker.jpg

Where will he go next? - Twitter a buzz right now, I think WWE is seeing how far they can go with social networking, can really benefit storylines such as this.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've long said that wrestling works best, is at its finest when elements of reality and fantasy are mixed, when the lines between what's real and what's story are blurred. And this scenario has so far worked that formula to absolute perfection.

What's really quite exciting about it, is that we don't know how real certain aspects are, if at all. Months back rumours began circulating that Punk was unhappy and planned to leave when his contract ended. But more and more it is seeming there was a chance that, that could have been all part of a planned angle, that it was the planting of seeds for all this in the future. If that was the case, it's a marvelous piece of work by WWE. But then, there's the other possibility that Punk really had planned on leaving once his contract was out and that WWE have taken that and that information being known and turned it into a massive angle, which is equally as genius. Either way, how this is being handled and many of it's little touches are just fantastic.

I mean, part of me does think maybe WWE planned this long term, letting certain aspects slowly simmer. If you note some of the things Vince said in his promo before Cena came out on Monday, he mentioned he does things long-term and sometimes we as fans don't realise he's doing it but, he's doing it for our own good. I thought that was very telling and that he was very much saying it applied here. It must just be a coincidence but it seems almost too much of a coincidence to be one that, around the same time Punk supposed desired plans to leave came out, so did the stories of WWE looking to dismiss the term 'wrestling' as well as being around the time Zack Ryders internet show was taking off and there was the story of his signs being confiscated at shows and people reacting with outrage that a performers popularity would be so actively ignored. Of course it could be that those stories were all true and WWE have had somewhat of a turnaround and seen the stupidity of some of those situations or at least realised a number of fans displeasure and anger of those developments and decided to use them effectively in this story line. But it could well be that WWE did realise how Ryder was gaining popularity with an audience and were well aware what reaction stories of Ryder signs being confiscated and stories that they no longer want to be known as a wrestling company would generate and they were used as devices as part of a much greater development. Either way, they clearly are aware of how their audience actually feels and the way they've exploited those emotions here, implementing aspects of those situations to tell this story is very reassuring and exciting.

There is that possibility, which i'm sure most will think is unlikely. There is also the possibility that Vito touched upon earlier, that Punk has sold himself and pushed/pitched himself and an angle, convincing them to take a chance on him and this direction. I could see a scenario that Punk, similar to the on TV angle that Punk pitched some of these ideas, really sold himself and how he always delivers and noted that he had the support of the likes of Hart, Austin and that they even went to bat for him. And that his push has evolved from that. In the past few months Punk has got to share significant TV time with Hart, Austin and Michaels and with Austins apparent reignited passion for the business through Tough Enough i could see him really making a strong case for something he thinks is worth taking a gamble on and Austin being someone Vince would listen to. Which again, if this is the case it's exciting that Vince would listen and be willing to go with something new. There is also, what many are assuming, that this is actually Triple H taking a more active role behind the scenes and that this new direction is his influence. So maybe it's him listening rather than Vince. Which would also be an exciting development but, what makes it all really exciting is that we really, really don't know all the details at all. Wrestling is a work/a con and when they manage to truly con us and think we know what's going on only then to make us realise we don't and question what we do know is so much fun.

WRESTLING ~!

• Paid Members

I wouldnt be surprised if Bret returns for a one night thing to stress the importance of just going with WWE's way of things. It was only last week Cena played his "I didnt want to have Shawn's reputation" card. I wouldnt be surprised if we see Bret back to tell Punk that he once thought he had control of the WWF belt but the people running the company saw fit to use dirty tactics to stop that. Just as a one night thing it warn him. Punk isnt going to have his own way through out this feud. Punk seems to have the rub of the green and everything is coming up trumps for him. On the other hand, Triple H seems all nice and understanding at the minute and willing the work with him (not unlike Vince the night after WM14 with Austin). I cant see that staying that way for long. I can see the dirty tactics starting from the new owner if he doesnt get the belt back on a contracted wrestler soon. Whats class about this storyline, though, is nobody knows whats coming next and they've done enough so far to give you enough trust in them that they will give you something that you will enjoy by the end of it.

• Paid Members
I wouldnt be surprised if Bret returns for a one night thing to stress the importance of just going with WWE's way of things. It was only last week Cena played his "I didnt want to have Shawn's reputation" card. I wouldnt be surprised if we see Bret back to tell Punk that he once thought he had control of the WWF belt but the people running the company saw fit to use dirty tactics to stop that. Just as a one night thing it warn him. Punk isnt going to have his own way through out this feud. Punk seems to have the rub of the green and everything is coming up trumps for him. On the other hand, Triple H seems all nice and understanding at the minute and willing the work with him (not unlike Vince the night after WM14 with Austin). I cant see that staying that way for long. I can see the dirty tactics starting from the new owner if he doesnt get the belt back on a contracted wrestler soon. Whats class about this storyline, though, is nobody knows whats coming next and they've done enough so far to give you enough trust in them that they will give you something that you will enjoy by the end of it.

TV at its finest. There is no formula (well Austin v McMahon, but this is a different era) and you MUST tune in next week to see the storyline progress. Plus Punk is such a fresh figure on top that people will tune in to see him do well too.

• Paid Members
I do worry, however, that some of the contextual elements of this feud that make it so great might be missed by large portions of the target demographic.

Fuck them. I'm enjoying it and that's all that matters. WWE's business has been awful for a couple of years now (bar a spike The Rock provided for a month), but it's so well run that they still make millions in profit a year. At the very worst WWE doesn't get more viewers and still makes money.

One thing i did wonder about that ROH Chicago date is that Punk said to Rey at the San Diego Comic Con "If you want a title shot you're welcome to come to Chicago and get it". I really do wonder if that line meant something.

not a world tour but punks just had a dig at rey/miz on twitter after the miz bigged up his match vs rey for the wwe title tonight punk responded with:

CMPunk CM Punk

@mikethemiz or @reymysterio for paper champion!?

3 minutes ago

Pretty sure the miz will end up responding to that.

**EDIT** punk followed up that original tweet with these:

CMPunk CM Punk

@reymysterio I say if you win, the new title is that sock you wear on your head.

8 minutes ago

CM Punk

CMPunk CM Punk

@mikethemiz hey! Maybe if you win, you can make a nice hat out of newspaper and that can be the new title! "it's not a belt, it's a hat!"

10 minutes ago

CM Punk

CMPunk CM Punk

Make believe championship? Fantasy land title?

35 minutes ago

Archived