Save Us CM Punk Thread

Jambo

• Paid Members

The thing about factions in WWE traditionally has been that they're there to try and raise the profile of the lesser members using the leader's status. Evolution led by Triple H is the main example, as well as DX. CM Punk could be the new Triple H in that he's the guy with a reputation for factions and "gang warfare", but at the moment he really needs some time by himself, having already led two factions in the space of two years.

The only reason now to put Punk in a faction would be to give other guys the rub, and he's still too early on in his now-cemented main-event status to be doing that for anyone right now - he's the guy that needs the rub, which is what this storyline is designed to do from a character-booking perspective, and bringing in any other guys right now would damage that, as it would simply distract the audience from the main characters.

I like the idea of Triple H beating the shit out of one of Punk's mates to goad him, like when Undertaker smashed up Arn when he was feuding with Flair, but Punk doesn't really have anyone that the audience give a fuck about, so there's no way to make it happen right now. I suppose they could do it with one of his "family", but 1. that was done with Cena's dad comparatively recently, and 2. why would a family member be at any WWE shows when he's not there himself?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Ryder and Colt mentions are just insider references to the smart fan to build this feud up and set Punk apart as a 'company guy'.

I'm very excited by this, Punk has really hit upon something. This story is just brilliant and I really hope they don't muck it up.

As I said on my Twitter page (and you can follow me @deanayass, Twitter fans :D) after THAT promo on Raw, this angle to me is the new generation Austin v McMahon. This is Punk v McMahon, or Punk v HHH or Punk v Corporate WWE, however they want to play it.

However, what made Austin so absolutley red hot in the late 90s was that he was on his own. No allies, no cronies, no hangers on. It was just him against the world. The odds were always stacked against him by the evil corporate McMahon, and being on his own, taking on the world, was what made people get behind him.

Zack Ryder has tons of potential, but needs to get over on his own merits. The WWE fanbase, sorry WWE Universe ;), didn't give a flying fuck about Luke Gallows or Colt Cabana when they were in the WWE before, so why should they care second time around? And if Cabana can only get a job based on the fact that his best mate is CM Punk. then he's this generation's Brutus Beefcake. What a great career aspiration that must be.

No, leave Punk on his own, as the lone maverick soldier battling the might of corporate America. Something that people can identify with on many levels, but Punk's own personality and style will make this very different to the Austin feud, but hopefully just as successful. A boom period for the WWE always results in a boom period for wrestling as a whole, so I'm really hoping that this angle takes off and leads to a new high.

• Paid Members

The grand thing about this is if CM Punk takes off to the level we all hope he can (taking over Cena as the biggest in the biz), we may finally get that long awaited Cena heel run (don't lie, we'd all love to see it).

Cena playing the 'Corporate champion' is a natural fit. CM Punk has already talked about it in his "New York Yankees" promo.

• Paid Members
The grand thing about this is if CM Punk takes off to the level we all hope he can (taking over Cena as the biggest in the biz), we may finally get that long awaited Cena heel run (don't lie, we'd all love to see it).

Cena playing the 'Corporate champion' is a natural fit. CM Punk has already talked about it in his "New York Yankees" promo.

If this does happen, which I don't envision it ever will but would love it to be so, would could be less Austin/McMahon and more Austin/Hogan. Because at the time we never managed to see that feud the hunger for that match is still there and this could be the modern day equivalent. Cena 'the Hogan of his generation' turns heel ala nWo vs Punk 'the voice of the voiceless' anti-hero like Austin.

Depending on the "actual" situation with McMahon, I was thinking we may see him leading a group of ROH/Indy workers to invade the WWE including Punk, Cabana etc...

No, no, no, no, no.

Look, can we just nip this in the bud right now?

1) CM Punk is not an Indy star who's somehow made a splash in the WWE. CM Punk is a fully-formed WWE superstar and main eventer. They took the raw talent he had and moulded it into what they needed. He's a WWE product as much as Cena.

2) People aren't watching and cheering for Punk because he used to wrestle for ROH. They are cheering for him because he's CM Punk, and he's been given plenty of mic time by the WWE to get his character over.

3) Nobody wants to see a bunch of poorly-equipped indy darlings suddenly bounced into prominent roles on WWE tv. It would be terrible and the casual fan would have no idea who they are or why they are there.

The only possible person they should consider bringing in to 'support' punk is Cabana. That's it, end of.

They already have great chemistry working together and they can play the 'outsiders' role very well, and as someone said, even if you can't establish Cabana as a character, people know his name and if HHH or anyone else beats the hell out of him it's pretty much the ONLY thing that would get Punk to come back to the WWE for some revenge with any RL sense behind it.

Doing this with Luke Gallows doesn't work as well, Punk and Cabana have a much longer history which a good number of people who have reacted to this storyline would know about, even those who didn't know anything about Cabana until Punk mentioned him a few weeks ago. People have youtube to check his matches. Which is what all this is based on now.

Oh and the whole thing has been amazing.

This is a genuinely exciting storyline, I don't think I have been this intriuged by anything in Wrestling since the Raw/Nitro Simulcast. Then, like now, the possibilities are numerous. Hopefully, unlike then, chances won't be squandered and the intirugue will just keep building and building.

Oh, and as I've said elsewhere, the ROH invasion would be rubbish. Team WWE would reign triumphant, and Team ROH would become just another stable or break up completely. You're also giving free publicity to ROH. The best thing would be a mid range to main eventer suddenly throwing their lot in with Punk (or against WWE corporate).

Archived