Save Us CM Punk Thread

Jambo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could potentially be the best worked-shoot style series of angles in years.

With the way social media sites like twitter and facebook are essentially the norm for a lot of people, it's entirely possible to make an angle like this work these days. Stuff that once would have just been dismissed as "aiming at the internet fans" is now able to be done effectively for almost everyone!

Most young people are on either twitter, facebook or similar sites, so even if just one of their friends is keeping up to date, they will see what is going on with Punk's Unauthorized Exploits.

The best thing is that all of this seems so organic. I genuinely believe (and if Ive been worked, great) that at least up until a few months ago Punk was fully intending to just leave when his contract expired. The fact that Punk was already an internet/underground favourite has meant that him getting a sudden wave of popularity (and fighting back against the WWE) feels natural. It's similar to how Matt Hardy got such fan support after getting fired over the Lita/Edge thing. Because he was already an internet-friendly guy it worked really well. They didn't have to bullshit some silly reason for Punk to start "doing a Pillman" like a Russo-in-WCW-esque idea, or have someone break kayfabe in the middle of a match or anything.

I really hope this keeps picking up steam.

This is how you make wrestling more current. Can't believe it's only just been figured out, but considering the amount of camera phones that came out once Punk appeared, this has got to be how you advance storylines. I personally don't even believe it needs to be as much a worked-shoot as this, but I think they should do more unannounced stuff where they know WWE fans with cameras will be. Say Alex Riley is doing an autograph session in some supermarket or whatever - have Miz appear and start a fight. That shit would be picked up by fans with cameras on youtube, and then you could use this rough footage to advance storylines. Plus, i'm pretty sure the newspapers of the town where it happens would pick up on it too and advertise A-Ry vs. Miz for the house show in the city the next night.

Still, I'm loving this Punk angle at the moment. Totally think he's going to gatecrash the next RAW, though I'd like it if he kept turning up as random events with the belt (like a major Boxing/MMA event) or have him appear on all the late night talk-shows and rant about WWE on there. Maybe have him gatecrash those when Triple H or Cena makes an appearance.

This is how you make wrestling more current. Can't believe it's only just been figured out, but considering the amount of camera phones that came out once Punk appeared, this has got to be how you advance storylines. I personally don't even believe it needs to be as much a worked-shoot as this, but I think they should do more unannounced stuff where they know WWE fans with cameras will be. Say Alex Riley is doing an autograph session in some supermarket or whatever - have Miz appear and start a fight. That shit would be picked up by fans with cameras on youtube, and then you could use this rough footage to advance storylines. Plus, i'm pretty sure the newspapers of the town where it happens would pick up on it too and advertise A-Ry vs. Miz for the house show in the city the next night.

Still, I'm loving this Punk angle at the moment. Totally think he's going to gatecrash the next RAW, though I'd like it if he kept turning up as random events with the belt (like a major Boxing/MMA event) or have him appear on all the late night talk-shows and rant about WWE on there. Maybe have him gatecrash those when Triple H or Cena makes an appearance.

Was going to post something similar.

A watershed moment in the storyline so far I think. I can't quite get over how wonderfully they are playing this. Something like the Stephanie line goes so far beyond something you'd expect in these circumstances, like the Ryder remark. It's all those touches that are making this so great.

Top notch stuff, and indeed, we'll be watching Raw every week just on the off chance he shows up, and we'll stick around until at least the day he does. Excellent work all round again this week.

• Paid Members

Paul Heyman was there with his camera as well, funnily enough. He's going to post the pictures up on his website. One of them should have tried to convince him to get involved or get a mention. The internet would have melted. Heyman got a mention on Raw the other week and now he's sniffing around WWE's comic con table. Stranger things have happened.

Thanks for that.

Not that I want to jump to conclusions but considering the channel this has been uploaded to and the fact that the person recording was right behind Punk before it ever happened it would be excellent news if this was his platform for rogue video output.

In any case this is playing out exactly as it should. Are things really this good? I'm still expecting to wake up at any moment.

Archived