IPWUK

Jason Mayhem

HI!

Wondered if anyone knows what is happening with IPWUK??? I think a lot of people will agree that they have been putting on belters of shows for the past 2 years and at every show there was always an announcement of the next date, but with no new date announced it seems that everything has gone a bit quiet and this is a bit worrying!!

I have been spoilt that most of the IPW shows have been pretty much on my doorstep, but I know others have travelled across the country to catch the shows (such was the quality!!). Fingers crossed we hear some good news soon!!

• Paid Members

Quildan was telling people at the last Sittingbourne show a couple of weeks ago that they are definitely running there on Sunday 27 November, but might also be running there on Sunday 2nd October. The October date is still to be finally confirmed, hence why they couldn't really confirm when the next show would be.

They're in an interesting position: they are almost universally recognised for being one of the very best in-ring products available in Europe and their shows are nearly always praised by all (and quite right: they have been superb for the last couple of years. The problem with that kind of consistent high praise and achievement is that it becomes the norm/standard by which they are judged. The punters almost start taking it for granted that this is what they should expect each and every time. If one of their shows just happens to have a slightly less awe-inspiring line-up (going from Paul London, El Generico and NOAH stars to DREW GULAK and JONATHAN GRESHAM), then it comes over as weaker. As soon as fans feel they can start picking and choosing which shows to go to, they have a problem.

Perhaps a break of a few months until October/November might do some good, since people will have missed it and it becomes "can't miss" again.

• Paid Members

I didn't get around to writing any post-show thoughts on here but, for what it's worth, the show 2 weeks ago with Gulak and Gresham was still really, really good.

For me, IPW:UK is, and always has been, about the homegrown stars, the regular talent and the stories that are told. The imports are there to 'enhance' the show, not make it, and it is the month-to-month developments with the regular stars that captures my attention and draws me back to see what happens next. That was the case when they were running Orpington every month (when they were the best UK story-telling promotion I'd ever seen for a good 18 months), it was the case when they were running that series in Bromley (which got REALLY good by the end of the run there, with the BNC tourney and the Thrillers vs. Firm feud) and continues to be the case in Sittingbourne.

Besides the issues I outlined in my post above, the only other problems I can see with the IPW:UK product at the moment are:

- that they haven't really been able to create any new stars or names that have the same level of interest as the regular roster, so it doesn't seem as fresh, and;

- that there isn't the strong heel/face definition that there once was, making most bouts come over as exhibition bouts rather than you really wanting a particular person to win.

Having said that, in my opinion they are still the strongest UK promotion from an actual in-ring wrestling (i.e. teh workratez) perspective and I always look forward to their next event with great anticipation.

• Paid Members
I didn't get around to writing any post-show thoughts on here but, for what it's worth, the show 2 weeks ago with Gulak and Gresham was still really, really good.

For me, IPW:UK is, and always has been, about the homegrown stars, the regular talent and the stories that are told. The imports are there to 'enhance' the show, not make it, and it is the month-to-month developments with the regular stars that captures my attention and draws me back to see what happens next. That was the case when they were running Orpington every month (when they were the best UK story-telling promotion I'd ever seen for a good 18 months), it was the case when they were running that series in Bromley (which got REALLY good by the end of the run there, with the BNC tourney and the Thrillers vs. Firm feud) and continues to be the case in Sittingbourne.

Besides the issues I outlined in my post above, the only other problems I can see with the IPW:UK product at the moment are:

- that they haven't really been able to create any new stars or names that have the same level of interest as the regular roster, so it doesn't seem as fresh, and;

- that there isn't the strong heel/face definition that there once was, making most bouts come over as exhibition bouts rather than you really wanting a particular person to win.

Having said that, in my opinion they are still the strongest UK promotion from an actual in-ring wrestling (i.e. teh workratez) perspective and I always look forward to their next event with great anticipation.

Just wanted to mirror what Benny said ! When a company gives 10 out of 10 shows all the time sometimes a 9 out of 10 for attraction does not seem good enough however pretty much any other uk promotion would die to put on what some might class as a IPW lesser show. Gulak and Gresham were awesome but maybe not the same name value as London and El Generico. Trust me that IPW on there worst day would still be better than 99% of shows in the uk.

In my opinion the only other company that I have seen that rivals it is NGW in Hull , as a promoter myself I can say that IPW are an inspiration and I always soak up all the advice Andy gives me.

I have only missed 1 show in the last 15 months and every one has been spot on !

• Paid Members

Just to add to some of Ben's thoughts - I thought the last show having Project Ego on it was a good sign in terms of IPW:UK realising they needed some new names to make things feel fresh. Hope PE are on the shows later in the year...

Archived