Ian_hitmanharts stalking of Tony Schiavone gets twitter based results

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah, its because he didnt want to talk to shitheads like Tenay. Schiavone was an executive at Time Warner. He had to keep things to himself. Why would he tell Lee Marshall about future angles and the inner workings of the pay structure?

God of course not - I've probably misinterpreted, but I thought guys like Heenan have said that he would keep information on matches that were sometimes ongoing to himself, so he got to keep all the shine to himself and they looked like clueless idiots.

Is there much love for his WWF stint?

• Paid Members
God of course not - I've probably misinterpreted, but I thought guys like Heenan have said that he would keep information on matches that were sometimes ongoing to himself, so he got to keep all the shine to himself and they looked like clueless idiots.

That wasnt his fault though. Bischoff was always working the wrestlers. Most of Ric Flairs best friends were crying backstage because he clapped out in the middle of the ring pretending he'd had a heart attack. WCW was mental. Tony was the lead commentary, so he'd have to know everything thats going on. I bet Michael Cole would do the same thing. I'm sure Jim Ross knew more than Lawler or Heyman when he was commentating with them. Its just how it is.

There should be. Schiavone and Ventura were amazing at SummerSlam 89. I'm not taking the piss either. Schiavone was awesome that night. Apparently he went ape-shit when Monsoon got the gig for Survivor Series 89. He swore he'd prove Monsoon wrong. Almost 10 years to the day Schiavone commentated on Starcade and Monsoon was found dead. Coincidence?

Oh and Joey Styles at his best wasnt half as good as Schiavone at his best. Schiavone turned cynical and phoned it in, but when he was at his peak, he was a great commentator. Bash at the Beach 96 was world class. As good as anything you'll ever see. Joey Styles was just a hokey, specky insider referencing hack.

Whatever big WWF PPV he called with Jesse Ventura (One of the Summerslams?) was the first time I head a golden phrase which I (and a fair few others, that have picked it up off me) still use to this day when audibly airing suspicions about a persons calims.

Tony did the first WWF PPV I ever saw, Royal Rumble '90. I think he only left because his wife hated living up north. When he went back to WCW they had Ross, Schiavone, Caudle, Russell and Solie all on the books, without doubt the greatest array of announcers any promotion has ever had.

• Paid Members
Tony did the first WWF PPV I ever saw, Royal Rumble '90. I think he only left because his wife hated living up north. When he went back to WCW they had Ross, Schiavone, Caudle, Russell and Solie all on the books, without doubt the greatest array of announcers any promotion has ever had.

I hate to correct you good sir, but images speak louder than words:

art0.jpg

• Paid Members

I remember when Hennig turned on Flair during the war games and joined the nWo, the nWo gave him a right pasting the night after and Tony was so upset he refused to do commentary, was great stuff. I'd love to see Schiavone back, he looks pretty much the same aswell legend.

• Paid Members
Its only twitter. Spelling means bot all when I'm in the moment and I'm laying the shit down. If I'm asked to do a press release on this matter (which I'm prepared for), I'll be on my P's and Q's.

:laugh: "this is when I talk them into the building!"

Does anyone share my love for Tony? Watching some old Nitros the last few weeks and watching how rotten the commentary has been recently, its got me thinking he cant be any worse than what we have. He seems content enough, but wrestling is his thing. Surely he cant take much convincing.

YES! Great job Ian getting responses from Big Tone AND the Hulkster... You can add another fan to the list, Schiavone has always been one of my favourite announcers. He was able to bring so much enthusiasm on commentary that it made everything better (even if it was shit)! Loved his stuff with Bobby Heenan and with Jesse Ventura.

100% bring him back, but for good not just a one-off. Doesn't he have some beef with Mike Tenay anyway?

• Paid Members
There should be. Schiavone and Ventura were amazing at SummerSlam 89. I'm not taking the piss either. Schiavone was awesome that night. Apparently he went ape-shit when Monsoon got the gig for Survivor Series 89. He swore he'd prove Monsoon wrong. Almost 10 years to the day Schiavone commentated on Starcade and Monsoon was found dead. Coincidence?

Haha brilliant. Big Tone had the Gorilla bumped off mafia style. You don't fuck with Mr Skee-a-vone. Italian name, he's got connections.

And 100% agree with the SummerSlam 89 love. Cracking show and Schiavone/Ventura were a big part of my enjoyment of that show. And also one of the reasons I love early 90's WCW so much. Best announce team in wrestling history for me.

• Paid Members

Tony was the balls at SummerSlam '89. He adhered religiously to the rules of straight man play-by-play at the time such as ignoring Hogan's flagrant cheating, accusing Colonel Jimmy Hart of being the antichrist and pretending not to fancy the arse off Sherri Martel.

He seemed to enrage Jesse as much if not more than Monsoon, which also went in his favour.

"You know, you're even dumber than Monsoon! I thought Gorilla was the stupidest guy alive!"

• Paid Members

I loved the bit when Warrior won the title off Rick Rude and Big Tone lost his shit. He went fucking nuts and Ventura couldn't get a word in. Loved SS 89, its one of the few original VHS tapes I've kept. I can't part with it.

• Paid Members

I watched it on Saturday night at my mothers house, falling asleep to it in a stupor. Probably because my mate and I had been pissing ourselves on friday doing our impression of Dusty's promo on Honky Tonk. Possibly the only reason I didnt go with my usual - Rumble 91.

Archived