Examples of super hot angles post 2001

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

What with everyone talking about this CM Punk/John Cena thing at the minute, and even the miserable cunts (like myself) getting excited by it, it got me thinking of the amount of angles like this they were back in the late 90s. I remember Austin getting fired and he was back the next night (nobody complained) and then that was followed by the big Survivor Series tournament, followed by the Vince vs Austin match in the cage, followed by the Ministry angle and so on. When the business is hot, the addictive angles come think and fast. I dont want to turn this into a "Attitude era was mint~" thread, but I remember how class the Nexus angle was last year as well. Of course they fucked it up, but it looked like something special up until SummerSlam. It was must watch TV. The group used to dart out at anytime nWo-style and just stop a match by slapping about the wrestlers. Another one was back in early 2009 when Randy Orton punted Vince in the head. He was looking like he was going to take it to the next level and become more than what he was at the time.

What angles do you think have really looked great and could have been massive had the wrestling business been hot? I'll say post Invasion (because that discussions been played out). What wrestlers could have been mega stars, what angles could have drawn massive business had they not gotten sick of them etc.

• Paid Members
Another one was back in early 2009 when Randy Orton punted Vince in the head. He was looking like he was going to take it to the next level and become more than what he was at the time.

I think that last night, he got very close to that level again with his post-match antics. If he had turned around a third time to batter Christian some more then, at least for that moment, he would have been God-like. It was even enough to pop the fans who had shat all over him for most of the match.

Both the ECW One Night Stands were great. RVD vs Cena told a great story in front of a rabid crowd (although not quite as good as MITB). I know Vince turned ECW into his own vision, but had RVD and Sabu not being busted for pot, I think the ECW revival would have looked a lot different, and we wouldn't have had this Lashley vs Test bullshit. Unfortunately, RVD faded into obscurity soon after winning the big one. Seriously, imagine if the top of ECW had been RVD/Sabu/Angle/Show for 9 months leading to Mania. It would have been glorious, the success of the ONS PPVs prove that.

• Paid Members

Not sure if this counts as it was more the build than one angle, but the one that got me back watching regularly was the amazing build they gave to Jeff Hardy v Randy Orton, for the Royal Rumble in 08. It was so good they created a monster in Jeff Hardy and couldn't kill it, despite seemingly wanting too.

Obviously you have mentioned the big ones. The Orton potential was huge, and Super Shano O ruined (well, helped to ruin) all of that.

One of mine is something that sounds mental to write now, considering one is long sacked and working in Japan and the other is a laughing stock, but there was a point where the feud/friendship between Matt Hardy and MVP was looking to turn them both into genuine superstars. They had this well-booked angry rivalry at the start, but because they kept kind of impressing each other, they ended up getting along. This led to a tag title run (while still having the US Title coming between them) and all in all was getting both guys really over.

Their in-ring segments where getting over with the crowd, hell, even Matt Hardy seemed like he had some personality for the first time since Mattitude died. What's more, they were having stellar matches against each other. The no-wrestling contests they had were good fun (basketball etc..) and it even saw Matt Hardy fight Evander Holyfield in a Boxing match!

Everyone waited for the big turn to come, with MVP finally having enough of the 'buddy' stuff, but they ended up just sort of losing interest towards the end. By the time MVP did turn on him, Hardy was having medical troubles and missed a bunch of TV time. In the end, neither man was elevated from what was for the most part a really fun feud/partnership.

They of course a little while later they gave MVP the career-ruining "losing streak" gimmick. bah!

Hardy vs MVP was fantastic. I was watching SD weekly without fail at this point. The feud was red hot, and the injury angle got major heat, but since Hardy was legit injured, it lost steam by the time he was ready to return. If Matt could have returned at the Rumble instead of Mania, it would have been a star-making match at Wrestlemania.

• Paid Members

MVP is such a waste. He should have been far bigger than what he was. When he came in in 2006, the original plan was for Eric Bischoff to be his sports agent and he'd have a full on push. But Bischoff was to busy looking sexy that weekend to agree to appear on TV as a regular again. That would have been great though. MVP needed that something extra when he first debuted on television. Bisch and MVP would have been class. Bischoff is such a slime ball, its no wonder they wanted him to play a sports agent. Its his perfect role.

MVP with Bish would have been great.

MVP could have done with a full on entourage; sports agent, personal trainer, a bodyguard, a super-hot personal assistant (Miss Tessmacher, perhaps), all that kind of shit.

A complete waste of talent, jobbing him out then sticking him in a shit tag team with mizark. Ugh!

I always bring this up when discussions turn to wasted angles, but I think the Vince's Son angle fits in with this too. Obviously it was a hastily-cobbled together replacement for 'Who killed Vince?', but it still had hods of potential - particularly if transplanted into a period when the business/booking was hot. That angle was a starmaker, and no way would it have been pissed away on a midget during a time when the company was on a roll.

I always bring this up when discussions turn to wasted angles, but I think the Vince's Son angle fits in with this too. Obviously it was a hastily-cobbled together replacement for 'Who killed Vince?', but it still had hods of potential - particularly if transplanted into a period when the business/booking was hot. That angle was a starmaker, and no way would it have been pissed away on a midget during a time when the company was on a roll.

They should have gone with The Sandman.

They teased him at the end (along with JBL and Triple H) and it would have been far more fun than the Hornswoggle nightmare. I remember when they had that battle royal for the RAW GM spot and they teased Sandman winning that too (the one Regal won). They knew he was over, but probably didn't expect him to be around long enough to make a push worthwhile. Still, i think they could have gotten a good year out of Sandy before he screwed up. Could have sold a truck load of merch for him too.

• Paid Members
They should have gone with The Sandman.

They teased him at the end (along with JBL and Triple H) and it would have been far more fun than the Hornswoggle nightmare. I remember when they had that battle royal for the RAW GM spot and they teased Sandman winning that too (the one Regal won). They knew he was over, but probably didn't expect him to be around long enough to make a push worthwhile. Still, i think they could have gotten a good year out of Sandy before he screwed up. Could have sold a truck load of merch for him too.

Got to be honest, I always thought a short Commissioner Sandman run would have been fantastic. He's a great character who could've worked in WWE, just preferably not in the ring. His YouShoot is hysterical when he talks about his match with Carlito where they decided to do as little as humanly possible and were laughing about it. As funny as that story is, it's clear his attitude wasn't really what it should have been.

The buildup to Triple H vs Shawn Michaels at Summerslam 2002 with the cctv footage and the reveal that Triple H was the one who attacked him etc. Great heat and it led to a great match at the ppv. I remember that being a really interesting period so much so that as I was away at the time and this was before everyone had sky plus and dvd recorders that I had RAW recorded both weeks by family so I could watch it when I returned.

Archived