UKFF Football Predictions League 2011-12

Fog Dude

I'm in :)

EDIT: I'm pretty fed up of there being predictions for matches which specialize for players that live in a different country, I've got no idea of any team in Scotland other then Celtic and Rangers so seeing Scottish Division 2 fixtures pop up gives me no chance of predicting with actual intelligence. Whereas everyone knows the standings and abilities of the Premiership teams. I would prefer if we stuck to EPL, Championship, Top level foreign leagues such as Serie A, La Liga and maybe a few other leagues like Bundesliga, Ligue 1. The scottish league is too niche and poor imo to have weekly matches from, not to mention benefitting those people from Scotland.

Get rid of the Big Four Gamble for the league and only do it on International weeks or cup weeks, picking 4 International sides that SHOULD win. Makes it more of a interesting gamble.

Personally I like the 10 game format and don't mind the odd bumper week.

Duly noted. :)

I prefer it when there's no Friday fixtures or obscenely early ones on a Saturday as it's almost part of my routine to do my predictions on a Saturday morning before going to the bookies and the Ardeer game.

I pick a few of the most attractive English and Scottish fixtures as soon as they come out, before they're changed for TV times. If one gets switched to Friday night or Saturday lunchtime, I'll more often than not change it. The problem comes late in the season when we're all tired and busy and games can be moved at ever shorter notice, by which time I often err on the side of leaving early kick-offs in. I'll bear this point in mind anyhow.

As I've mentioned before, I can't do anything about international rounds now taking place largely on Friday evenings, so I try to post those weeks' cards a bit earlier.

I'm pretty fed up of there being predictions for matches which specialize for players that live in a different country, I've got no idea of any team in Scotland other then Celtic and Rangers so seeing Scottish Division 2 fixtures pop up gives me no chance of predicting with actual intelligence. Whereas everyone knows the standings and abilities of the Premiership teams. I would prefer if we stuck to EPL, Championship, Top level foreign leagues such as Serie A, La Liga and maybe a few other leagues like Bundesliga, Ligue 1. The scottish league is too niche and poor imo to have weekly matches from, not to mention benefitting those people from Scotland.

Whoa, where's this perceived overexposure of the Scottish leagues come from? The only time you'll see Division 2 or 3 teams is in the Cup, otherwise the lowest we go in Scotland is Division 1 for Haraga's D2D once a season. Apart from that there's usually only one set of SPL games per month, or 2 out of every 40-50 fixtures. That's only slightly more than the 4 continental leagues you mentioned. I won't dispute for a second that those are of a higher quality and have more depth, but in case you didn't notice Scots are disproportionately represented on this board compared to their share of the UK population as a whole, and many FPL players are Scottish, including the current champion. For all those reasons, I'm not going to be cutting back the Scottish matches to just the odd Old Firm clash.

What about the very rare A-League and MLS matches? I'm guessing they must bother you too?

Get rid of the Big Four Gamble for the league and only do it on International weeks or cup weeks, picking 4 International sides that SHOULD win. Makes it more of a interesting gamble.

That's a great idea. It would mean both big 4 gambles coming in the first half of the season every other year though, and reduces the number of international D2D weeks to 1.

I'm seriously considering it.

The A-League and MLS matches do bother me too, but the thing that mostly bothers me about the Scottish league matches is that it will benefit quite a few people who play the league and the rest are at a disadvantage because they know fuck all about Scottish football. With the A League and MLS 99% of us are in the same boat and havn't got a clue, with the Scottish league alot more people know the score over there whereas its a disadvantage to those of us who are not Scottish. I feel that many FPL players are Scottish and there are too many Scottish games pop up. We'd have a much fairer game overall if we stuck to the bigger foreign leagues and the Prem/Championship as everyone then would be on nearly a equal knowledge level. I'd rather it continue to be a prediction league rather then a guessing game.

I'll be in as usual, once i can find a few hours to read the first post :rolleyes:

As far as which leagues [bitterness] i'd prefer it if it was kept to the top 4 or 5 big euro leagues. Then at least some knowledge comes in handy i think last years was more of a straight up guessing game [/bitterness]

As much as i love Serie A and Primera Liga i'd say just having the premier league games would make it more of a level playing field. As Lawz points out there's a big advantage for the scots of the board, there's also a few guys on here who are big bundesliga fans. If there's one league everyones going to have knowledge of it's the premier league

Women's teams are not allowed.

sexism in football is always a buy

What do you think of the regular balance of Prem/lower division/foreign games?

Answered above

Are you not bothered about early and late finishes or do you prefer as many Saturday 3 o'clock matches as possible?

Anything between 12pm Saturday and 6pm Sunday is fine by me

For example, the start date has been decided, but depending on the end date we could end up with a 41-week competition. Are you comfortable with an odd number of rounds or should we finish early, or try to drag it out one more week?

Happy for you to decide but If we're sticking to the premiership or sticking to a set number of leagues it should end when the premiership/last of the leagues finishes

For the first time in 14 years, the 1st round of the FA Cup clashes with the Euro 2012 play-off weekend - so should international rounds perhaps become 'bumper' weeks with 12-15 games?

I find doing the internationals pretty shit, a huge chunk of them are very predictable.

After Man City broke the top 3 and finished level on points with Chelsea at the end of last season, is there a big 3 or 4 anymore? If so, which teams does it consist of?

Big 4 United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal

Should we just forget about it?

Could just have double points when any of the big 4 meet each other. (i mean just for that fixture not the weeks games)

Lastly, the SPL has decided to schedule a round of games for Christmas Eve, just because it falls on a Saturday this year. With the English still not playing until Boxing Day as per usual, do we have a very long double round or overlap between a single and a double??

I'd guess a lot of us (well me) won't be online in the run up to christmas and that might lead to several people (me) getting a mark against their names and with the miss 2 weeks and your disqualified rule in place that could fuck it up.

I didn't get any offers after last season's write-up to take over the running of this, so I guess I'm in charge for another year.

You do a fine job.

All right, even though this is already stupidly long, it feels like I've forgotten something

You haven't.

I'll send the D2D teams when it's decided for definate which leagues we're doing.

sexism in football is always a buy

We did have the Women's Cup final on the card a couple of years ago, but I'm not intending to include any of that newfangled WSL nonsense this season.

Happy for you to decide but If we're sticking to the premiership or sticking to a set number of leagues it should end when the premiership/last of the leagues finishes

Well we're already starting the week before the EPL begins so finishing the week after can't hurt, right?

I find doing the internationals pretty shit, a huge chunk of them are very predictable.

I try not to include the minnows unless they're facing a home nation, but it can still be hard to find tightly contested games in those weeks. That's why I like Lawz's idea.

Big 4 United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal

Could just have double points when any of the big 4 meet each other. (i mean just for that fixture not the weeks games)

Another thing I'll take into consideration, but right now I definitely prefer Lawz's way of killing 2 birds with one stone.

I'd guess a lot of us (well me) won't be online in the run up to christmas and that might lead to several people (me) getting a mark against their names and with the miss 2 weeks and your disqualified rule in place that could fuck it up.

Given all the comments so far, we'll ignore the Xmas Eve round. The card for that week will go up at the usual time so you'll have 5 days to make Boxing Day picks instead of the usual 3. And you're only kicked out if you miss 3 weeks in a row, not 2.

You do a fine job.

Thanks. And thanks for taking the time to brainstorm all the other points in the first post too. :thumbsup:

I'll send the D2D teams when it's decided for definate which leagues we're doing.

Well all the leagues I mentioned in the original post are still eligible, but I won't be including matches from the more obscure ones unless someone's D2D team is in them, so you might as well try your luck with your 3 no doubt 'conventional' choices. Apart from you only Keeno has signed up here and not sent a PM yet. That's not a club you want to be in!

I'd suggest that if you aren't familiar with the league you're predicting on, such as the Scottish leagues and the Belgian Second division (which appeared last season), to have a quick look at the relevant league table on soccerway or a similar site. That way you should have a better idea of which side is likely to win.

I honestly don't think I have any advantage when it comes to predicting the Scottish results, apart from the weeks in which early Scottish Cup games are included.

Archived