Wasted characters

Baron

• Paid Members

Circumstances aside, it was probably for the best that Seven was scrapped, he was like a cross between a fat Undertaker and a white Candyman.

Not so much a character, but Charlie Haas sending Lilian Garcia flying off the apron could've been the start of something decent.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could be cynical and say he was given the belt to make Hogan look strong for beating "the jap" and then he was used to promote the face turn of Luger as the American patriot for the "Lex Express" which failed miserably. He was an oddity.

You could have been even more cynical and said he wasn't really Japanese! ;)

• Paid Members

I always liked the Wrath, Glacier & Mortis Mortal Kombatesque angle. Until it went the way of the warrior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcNDfms2kYk (I think Cleetus may enjoy the end of this match.)

• Paid Members
I always liked the Wrath, Glacier & Mortis Mortal Kombatesque angle. Until it went the way of the warrior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcNDfms2kYk (I think anyone with a soul will enjoy the end of this match.)

Fixed. I loved that all though. The definition of a "guilty pleasure" angle.

Did Glacier ever work any indies other than Chikara?. He'd be perfect for a tour with All Star.

• Paid Members

I was under the impression that the Seven character was meant to go ahead, and then, in the days before the show, wCw's Creative Department had a shake-up; the incoming guys decided to kill two birds with one stone and not only change direction, but shit on the previous bookers too by having Rhodes take the piss out of the gimmick and debut a Stone Cold-like character.

• Paid Members
I was under the impression that the Seven character was meant to go ahead, and then, in the days before the show, wCw's Creative Department had a shake-up; the incoming guys decided to kill two birds with one stone and not only change direction, but shit on the previous bookers too by having Rhodes take the piss out of the gimmick and debut a Stone Cold-like character.

Thats what I was under the impression of as well. Russo didnt like the Seven character, and thought Dustin Rhodes as a bad ass Texan character was where it was at. He was right as well. Rhodes and Jarrett's feud was a highlight of Nitro in late 99. Actually Russo's first run provided a lot of highlights. He was actually making Benoit a star. Benoit was at a character high in late 99. Brilliant he was. Bret Hart was finally looking and performing like someone worth the money they were paying him. Goldberg was a hardcase again (look at his match where he literally beats Sid into stoppage) and the Outsiders were doing the wisecracking duo gimmick that the DX of 2006 did. There were a lot of things to like about late 99 WCW.

Actually I believe Dusty Rhodes might have had a hand in giving his son the Seven gimmick, and then got the sack along with Bischoff and Sully.

My impression of Seven was that they were basically trying to re-hash the original Goldust character, concentrating on the creepier aspects of it rather than the gay overtones (to my mind, Goldust was never as effective after all the silliness involving the cross-dressing and the increasingly bizarre costumes he wore when he was with Luna). They obviously thought that Dustin had a knack for playing dark characters, and, as someone said previously, I think the use of kids is more to do with the ham-fisted attempts to evoke fairytale boogeymen, as opposed to consciously implying child abuse.

• Paid Members

The Powers Of Pain. I wish they'd have had the run given to Andre/Haku between Demolition's 2nd and 3rd reigns. They were great fun. They looked like monsters in Survivors 89.

I agree with Butch on Kenzo Suzuki, absolutely horrific in WWE, so bad I longed for Yokozuna or the Orient Express days.

I'd say Luther Reigns, Mordecai & Kevin Thorn, Mark Jindrak, Marcus Cor Von, & Mike Knox were all guys or gimmicks I'd have liked to have seen more from and some effort made in getting them over and fleshing out there roles. They all lacked in some department or another but so did Cena & Batista and they got much help and made money.

I might've been the only one, but I really enjoyed Michael Tarver's character. The crazy promos about being a 'pitbull off the leash' and feeding his many kids, the cool-looking mask-thing, the T-sign he made with his arms; I thought it all added up nicely to something.

I heard that management stopped him using the Knockout Punch so Big Show could do it instead, which kind of detracted from him, and then he got injured. It seemed like they were going to do something with him when he came back, and was featured watching the action from the back in a sinister sort of way, but then he was just released. Shame.

Archived