New World Record Set For Longest Pro Wrestling Match Ever

xear

wrestlezone.com

"Six Dayton area wrestlers participated in "The Ultimate Ironman Match" in November 2010 to achieve their goal of breaking the Guiness World Record for the longest Pro-wrestling match.

The six men wrestled for a total of 12 hours, breaking the previous record of 11 1/2 hours set in the early 1900's.

On July 12, the wrestlers were informed that they officially achieved their goal. Tim Lutz, Mark Easterday, Michael White, Logan Jones, Brandon Overholser, and Tom Crone now hold the Guiness World record for longest wrestling match."

it felt like Daniels vs. Styles went longer than that last week

I bet no fucker watched the full match, even the UKW show today didnt go that long and that had 11 matches on the card apparently

• Paid Members

Longest match ever is actually the 92 Royal Rumble. It's now 19 years counting, as Kerry Von Erich is still in it - both feet never touched the floor.

• Moderators
Longest match ever is actually the 92 Royal Rumble. It's now 19 years counting, as Kerry Von Erich is still in it - both feet never touched the floor.

The Battle Royal at the Albert Hall started even before that, and Kerry's still in that. And probably some other Battle Royals that started in 1987 or so.

• Paid Members

I would like to know who held the original record, the one that they broke, because given the differing natures of pro wrestling now and pro wrestling then, surely it makes them two very different things. I mean, if the original record was made back when matches were still "real" or when some were and some weren't, then it puts a totally different spin on it.

The longest match I could find from that kind of period and setting was the Ed Lewis Vs Joe Stecher match which went five and a half hours. My knowledge on this subject is sketchy at best, andd I'm not sure if they "did business" in this match, for the finish anyway, but my point it if this match was a straight shoot then even though it was only five hours as opposed to ten, it would be a much tougher prospect than 6 guys going for eleven hours while co-operating.

So if someone, probably Lister, can clear a few things up as to whether or not the original record was from a match in which the guys involved knew the script and were deliberatley putting on a long match, or whether the original record was from a match of the legitimate sense.

• Paid Members

Wow. I can't believe people went out there and worked a wrestling match for that length of time. I honestly can't imagine a situation where a match that lasts that long could be entertaining. Which is sad, considering one of the reasons pro wrestling became a work was to ensure entertaining, value for money matches.

That and tricking carnival rubes into losing tuppence ha'penny.

• Paid Members

At the time of the amateur match (1912 Olympics) it was literally one fall to a finish. It was also a Greco-Roman match, meaning no holds below the waist.

The Lewis-Stecher match was covered in the Observer last week as it happens. It looks to have actually been a little under five hours, which was exaggerated a little over time. All logic points to it being a work, with the only real argument against being that it would be insane to do such a long and apparently boring match as a show.

There's a possibility it was worked to take advantage of people betting for or against Lewis lasting a certain amount of time (Stecher won most matches relatively quickly), but that doesn't explain why it was as long as it was.

Archived