An interview with WWE Superstar CM Punk

Seratonin

AWESOME read. I can't like Punk any more than I do right now.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201107/c...w?currentPage=1

In the wrong hands, professional wrestling can be a boring thing indeed, a rinse-and-repeat cycle of predictable storytelling and zero-stakes feuds. For a few years now, World Wrestling Entertainment has spent much of its time in a lamentable rut, focusing much of its attention on central figure John Cena and his kid-friendly potty humor and square-jawed heroics. But over the past month or so, that's been changing. Cena has a new foe: C.M. Punk, a tatted-up, fire-eyed, uncommonly erudite bad guy who thinks, and sometimes acts, like a good guy. But there's a catch to that feud. It won't last long, since Punk doesn't expect to be in the company a week from now.

C.M. Punk is a wrestling veteran, a guy who kicked around the small-time independent scene for years before finally linking up with the WWE. Within the company, he's had an impressive run: Three world championships, a few memorable speeches, a string of wonderful matches. But he's never been the focal point of the company, despite being arguably its most gifted in-ring storyteller, and that's always eaten at him. So, about a month ago, he announced on live TV that his contract was about to be up and that he would wrestle John Cena for the WWE title the night before leaving the company. That match would go down at the Money in the Bank pay-per-view event, which comes to Chicago's Allstate Arena on Sunday night.

Then, on an episode of "Monday Night Raw: two weeks ago, Punk absolutely laid into the company in a blistering, wild-eyed promo speech that indicted everything about the WWE. He invoked the names of fired wrestlers, he lamented the loss of emphasis on wrestling itself (rather than the more nebulous "entertainment" that the WWE likes to use these days), and he even tore into company figurehead Vince McMahon and his entire family. (In one particularly genius moment, he referred to McMahon's son-in-law and presumed successor Triple H as a "doofus.") He did all this with patience and writerly precision, eschewing catchphrases and building into a messianic fervor until his mic suddenly went silent and the show came to an abrupt halt. It was a genuinely electric moment on a show that's had too few of those lately.

Now, Punk was telling a story, not staging an insurrection. Two weeks after that blast of invective, he was trading barbs in the ring with McMahon himself

If Vince let's (or has let) Punk cut all connections with the WWE, then he is a very very silly billy.

Knowing how people call Vince a shrewd businessman I'd very much doubt that he'd allow Punk to gain this much power going into his "last" match with WWE, thus becoming a prominent main event star yet letting him leave the company and go to the indies or TNA, in other words the competition. There's no way Vince would build him up as the next big thing, the hottest thing in wrestling and the guy gets all of the media attention and then Vince just allows him to ride off to another company. I'd say all of this is a big build up and Punk is around for a while yet. I hope so anyway, Vince would never be stupid enough to do all of that and let the guy go would he? I hope he isn't mellowing.

This has to be one of the best interviews i have read in a long time due to the fact that it was done outside of WWE and CM Punk seemed to be able to say what he wanted without any restrictions being put on him by WWE management.

This has to be one of the best interviews i have read in a long time due to the fact that it was done outside of WWE and CM Punk seemed to be able to say what he wanted without any restrictions being put on him by WWE management.

I would absolutely agree. A thoroughly interesting insight to quite a few things there. I would think that Punk may take some time off (if he has been resigned) to give him a break, but then the flip side is that he's so hot right now, why take him off the programme anytime soon. He clearly needs a well earned rest. I prey to god that a stream I find on Monday morning doesn't prevent me from watching one of the biggest matches for a very long time.

Knowing how people call Vince a shrewd businessman I'd very much doubt that he'd allow Punk to gain this much power going into his "last" match with WWE, thus becoming a prominent main event star yet letting him leave the company and go to the indies or TNA, in other words the competition. There's no way Vince would build him up as the next big thing, the hottest thing in wrestling and the guy gets all of the media attention and then Vince just allows him to ride off to another company. I'd say all of this is a big build up and Punk is around for a while yet. I hope so anyway, Vince would never be stupid enough to do all of that and let the guy go would he? I hope he isn't mellowing.

I don't know about that. If Punk genuinely wants to leave, why not milk him for all you can in the last month? It's not really like the old days where Punk can go somewhere else and tip the balance. If he goes out hot, he can come back hot. And if he does go anywhere else in the mean time, it really is a case of "if a tree falls in a forest and no-one is around to see it, does it make a sound?". Stay or go, I don't see what Vince has to lose by promoting the guy.

Good interview, of course. Possibly my favourite part, though, was the GQ guy slamming Cena's era in the opening paragraph. And not because I hate Cena himself or anything, but because they use the phrase "lamentable rut" and I think it's probably more likely that WWE will listen to criticisms from outside sources like GQ more than they'd ever listen to things led by fans. I always get the feeling that any sniff of the opportunity for audience expansion is received by Vince in the same way a cartoon dog reacts to the smell of a steak.

Archived