"No Name" Wrestlers getting pushes

AJS269

This is geared more to TNA, but the same can be applied to WWE

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when people say, "Oh you shouldn't push this guy, no-ones heard of them (except the fappers)"

I would say your only as good as your push.

Case in Point- Desmond Wolfe

If you told me Nigel McGuinness would be in the semi main event of his second TNA PPV I would call bullshit until he debuted. His first act was kicking Kurt Angles ass, and for the first few months Wolfe went from being a nothing Indy wrestler to being a potential champion in the second company in America. Infact if he hadn't been depushed he might even have done it.

Another example is the X-Division and the Knockouts division, when these divisions were being portrayed as important, the quality of matches and wrestlers in those matches was far greater that they have been at any point in the Hogoff era.

How are you going to sell an X-Division PPV when even guys like Alex Shelly ,Brian Kendrick and Doug Williams (who can all have good matches) are portrayed as worthless nothings (I will agree mostly of the X-Division is curently spot monkeys). Infact the only X-Division guys who were made to look like they were worth a dam were AJ Styles, Daniels , Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn.

Also the fact is this, guys like Sting, Angle, Hogan, Steiner etc aren't going to be in the buisness alot longer, is it not more important to push the younger guys AS WELL so that in a few years people don't just turn off now that the "name" superstars have retired.

• Paid Members
Am I the only one who gets annoyed when people say, "Oh you shouldn't push this guy, no-ones heard of them (except the fappers)"

And who says that? The promoters job is to build someone up and get them ready for a main event position. Even Goldberg, Lesnar and The Undertaker werent just shoved into the main event scene. They squashed jobber, moved up to slapping about midcarders and uppercarders and then went for the belt. Desmond Wolfe is a bad example, because he can on the scene, Styles was the champion, TNA was in a period where Hogan was being pushes as debuting and all the focus was on his debut and the feud with Angle was more or less and uppercard feud to give Angle something to do. Surely everyone agrees that you cant just put someone on television in a main event position who the casual audience has never heard of and have it work. Sure the wrestlers you mentioned arent going to be in the business forever, but none of those you mentioned just got shoved on TV as a main eventer. You can put someone on TV with the intent of making them your next man (i.e. Lesnar). For example, if you were going to bring in Davey Richards (shudder) and wanted to make him a main eventer, that still doesnt mean his first act of business should be to attack John Cena or something.

Also, its a fallacy that Hogan and Bischoff turned up and the X Division turned shit. When has the X Division belt ever meant anything without it being on Samoa Joe or AJ Styles? Its been shit for years.

The problem is, lots of people don't know what a push actually is.

So, you'll have someone say 'THEY SHOULD GIVE CHRISTOPHER ANYONYMOUS THE TITLE', to which you'll reply that they aren't established, and aren't recognised by the casual audience. Then, there's usually a breakdown with the same someone shouting about not giving 'pushes' to wrestlers or what have you.

A push isn't the main event, nor is it the world title. A push is a calculated improvement of someones standing in the hope that they catch on with the crowd, and can increasingly get better opportunities at higher levels. If someone perennially loses on Superstars, then a push can be something as little as a run of wins and a chance to have your face on a Raw/SD.

I've never seen anyone argue that someone shouldn't get a push, rather they shouldn't get shoved above their station without having had adequate foundations laid first.

I think its worth remembering that a good wrestling roster is all about balance. Not everyoen can recieve a great push at the same time. TNA's issue in the past has sometimes been that they're trying to push too many people, or they're not sure who they want to push where, and so nobody can get over as a result. You can't push everyone towards the top. And then there's the issue of if a wrestler is already covering the position tha an unpushed wrestler could be pushed in, then do you take the gamble? But at the same time you need to keep the roster fresh. I've always thought balancing a roster is a lot more difficult than we sometimes give credit for. I remember in the old EWR games where peopel woudl be desperate t oget everyone to 80 over through the good matches shortcut, you can't do that in real life and you wouldn't want to either. You need people all over the card. And sometiems the more consistent and solid workers, who might very well be exceptionally talented, are best left in the middle of the pack than being pushed to the top. Good workers are important on all levels of the card.

Archived