Flippity-floppety matches

Spike Sharpe

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately, CMLL in Mexico is getting quite bad for it these days and it's starting to spoil what was once one of my favourite feds. The problem there doesn't seem to be so much that the luchadors are bad and don't know any better, it's more a deliberate change of direction and style which has resulted in highflying losing most of its impact.

CMLL's dismal. They've got good workers but there often feels liek there's no real reason to watch their shows. Nothing seems to be progressing anywhere at the moment. And its not just because I don't speak Spanish, in AAA you see things develop (sometimes oddly admittedly) but there's no real feeling that its the case for CMLL at the moment.

• Paid Members

Thats just the worst Richie. Two Chinese lads wrestling the wrestling equivalent of the job club infront of an audience that are apart of SAG, on a show deemed so horrible even Justin Credible pulled out of it. Its all been done before. Its the same reason why people are only buying into Sin Cara now. It takes more that spectacular moves for people to give a toss about you. People need to buy into you as a personality. Otherwise Tyson Kidd would be the champion and Santino would be working for All Star. Its the reason people cried when Batista hurt his back but laughed when Taka Michinoku hilariously smashed his head off the floor.

• Paid Members
Two Chinese lads

:confused:

Anyway, WSX was possibly the worst place to showcase anyone from DragonGate. Actually, I have to admit, outside of a select few, I don't think that many newer-generation DG wrestlers "travel well" outside the set-up of their home promotion.

Yoshino's just fantastic. He's possibly the first wrestler ever who could do a "Flash"-style gimmick, just moving at warp speed. The "Speed Star" moniker is apt, but I don't like it so much; they could do better. I would say he's got a lot going for him in that he's the only wrestler in the world who can wrestle his style right now.

Also, on the subject of Jack Evans, I think he's truly awful, and the existence of Pac just highlights everything he could be doing better. In addition to having almost the same moveset, Pac's got the psychology/pacing, he's got a body, he's got professional-looking gear. The only thing he hasn't got that Evans has is a bit of a character and promo ability. But everything else that Evans does, Pac can do better.

I can only speak for myself, but seeing a shooting bastard star press off a cage just excites my inner child. I find it very exciting. It gets my adrenaline going. Do you not even bat an eyelid at a cage-top shooting star? Does it not arouse any feeling of amazement at all? Even for a couple of seconds?

Honest questions mate, I'm not trying to sound patronizing or question your judgment in any way.

Two Chinese lads

They are Japanese, for a start. And pretty blooming famous. ;)

Eh, I like WSX for what is was, just short matches with as many spots as they could cram into the timeframe. I thought it was great fun to watch as they chucked so many movez~! at you, I just switched my brain off and enjoyed the action

I can only speak for myself, but seeing a shooting bastard star press off a cage just excites my inner child. I find it very exciting. It gets my adrenaline going. Do you not even bat an eyelid at a cage-top shooting star? Does it not arouse any feeling of amazement at all? Even for a couple of seconds?

Exactly, I don't watch spotfests for their characters, I just want to be amazed by the stuff they can pull off, although of course theres a fine line between a good spotfest (Crisp, fast paced action that flows well) and a crappy spotfest (Botched moves, slow pace, lots of 'down time' - EG they lie around for 50% of the time doing nothing)

Yoshino's just fantastic. He's possibly the first wrestler ever who could do a "Flash"-style gimmick, just moving at warp speed. The "Speed Star" moniker is apt, but I don't like it so much; they could do better. I would say he's got a lot going for him in that he's the only wrestler in the world who can wrestle his style right now.

Yoshino nearly started on me once.

They couldnt have been Japanese, unless MTV edited out the Pearl Harbouring, the salt throwing and the bowler hats.

Answer the question at once!

Wrestling is at its best when larger than life characters tell a simple, engaging story. The problem is there are too many bland wrestlers trying to get over through acrobatics. It looks cool and impressive but you don't care about the outcome and it devalues the impact of certain moves/spots.

• Paid Members
They couldnt have been Japanese, unless MTV edited out the Pearl Harbouring, the salt throwing and the bowler hats.

They did.

Does this not make the anti smarks even say "wow" just for a sec?

I didn't. I did watch the match below today and said 'wow' though. It has plenty of high flying and fast paced spots but they had everything else aroudn them, a simple story, easy to place characters, a small angle between two workers and a pace that built up until the end. And I'm not even much of a CMLL fan. Its also pretty recent so its not like a carefully selected classic. There's plenty of flips and plenty of flops but there's more to the package. That for me is the key.

I should warn people that one of the luchadores has decided to come in his pyjamas. He does that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/decadas80s90s2.../14/04sJ_j5Nt8k

• Paid Members

Honest questions mate, I'm not trying to sound patronizing or question your judgment in any way.

If I care about the character actually doing the move (or having the move done to them), maybe. If it has been built towards and actually means something within the flow of the actual match, sure. Otherwise, it's pretty bloody stupid.

Not going to bother with the "mainstream doesn't deserve to see this type of thing" comment, since I'm hoping it was made in jest...

Archived