Flippity-floppety matches

Spike Sharpe

He is great at selling happy to put himself in dangerous and painful situation, so I love seeing him flip about like a loon, and then get absolutely mullered after.

Pulling a Keanu "huh!!" face and shaking your arms about a bit does not a good seller make

There is no place whatsoever in wrestling for Jack Evans

This should be my sig

His strikes are a joke, his selling is pitiful and it's a miracle everytime he does a highspot that he doesn't injury himself or/and his opponent. There's having a difference of a opinon on who's good and bad and then there's the Evan's. I can handle people liking The Miz (even though he's laughable) but being a Jack Evans fan is about as low as it gets, your beyond help if you believe him to be anything other than useless.

The only postive thing i can say about him is at least he isn't Teddy Hart.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Worst thing I've ever saw in wrestling was that infamous cage match Hart and Evans had in ROH. I really is a must watch for anyone who wants to see a group of wrestlers saying "fuck it, they know its fake anyway". Teddy Hart got on top of the cage and a group of wrestlers stood in a circle and he did a twisty thing and landed on them. LITERALLY 10 seconds later (or maybe shorter because Evans was on the podium at the same time as Hart), Evans did a double moonsault and the same bunch of wrestlers who'd completely refused to sell the impact of a massive high spot. They just stood up and got back in their "we'll catch you mate" style pose. It was hilarious. At least in those MITB ladder matches they at least pretend to brawl as they look out the corner of their eye to see Kane fly off the top rope. Evans and Hart continued to do top of the cage shit for a while longer. Who was it again, who said nobody got hurt and people thought it was real, now people do get hurt and everyone thinks its fake? I know Hart and Evans got stick for that match, but the rest of the dickheads in the match exposed the business just as bad. Pure shit.

• Paid Members
Worst thing I've ever saw in wrestling was that infamous cage match Hart and Evans had in ROH. I really is a must watch for anyone who wants to see a group of wrestlers saying "fuck it, they know its fake anyway". Teddy Hart got on top of the cage and a group of wrestlers stood in a circle and he did a twisty thing and landed on them. LITERALLY 10 seconds later (or maybe shorter because Evans was on the podium at the same time as Hart), Evans did a double moonsault and the same bunch of wrestlers who'd completely refused to sell the impact of a massive high spot. They just stood up and got back in their "we'll catch you mate" style pose. It was hilarious. At least in those MITB ladder matches they at least pretend to brawl as they look out the corner of their eye to see Kane fly off the top rope. Evans and Hart continued to do top of the cage shit for a while longer. Who was it again, who said nobody got hurt and people thought it was real, now people do get hurt and everyone thinks its fake? I know Hart and Evans got stick for that match, but the rest of the dickheads in the match exposed the business just as bad. Pure shit.

Was that the one where Teddy Hart spewed from flipping around too much?.

Was that the one where Teddy Hart spewed from flipping around too much?.

Wikipedia

On November 1, 2003, Hart competed at a Ring of Honor show in Elizabeth, New Jersey as part of a Scramble Cage match.[2] After losing the match, he began to perform moonsaults and executed a shooting star press from the top of the cage rather than selling the moves he had taken.[2] Hart then vomited at ringside.[2] His actions attracted the ire of many wrestlers, as he endangered some wrestlers by performing moves on them which they were not anticipating.[

So what I want to know is - which matches/wrestlers are you good fellows talking about when you use the term "flippity-floppety"? Is it the standard sort of cruiserweight stuff I've seen in WCW/WWE, or is it more specifically Indie/Mexican or even UK stuff? If so, which individuals are the worst culprits?

Your biggest culprits would be the useless CZW types. Killing themselves by fucking up Asai Moonsaults and SSP's to the outside after only 3 months training. Usually all skinny, white guys in the worst ring gear you have ever seen. See any botchamania for many examples.

Some people call anyone who does high flying wrestling "flippy\floppy" though. I have seen it used to describe Lucha, Dragon Gate, Michinoku Pro, Chikara etc. These people would be idiots of course.

Jack Evans is somewhere in the middle for me. He is unquestionably very good at what he does. In terms of batshit crazy movesets he would be right at the top of the list for high-flyers. So if you want to see a daft spotfest he is good value. On the other hand, he struggles to put together even basic matches that make much sense. Even good workers have had a nightmare carrying him. He looks like a backyarder too, which doesent help much.

• Paid Members

Teddy Hart got in trouble backstage because he did a shooting star press on someone who was on the floor without telling him he was going to do the move. I thought that was a work, considering the only time anyone in the match was actually in a prone position was to take a move from the top of the cage.

Your biggest culprits would be the useless CZW types. Killing themselves by fucking up Asai Moonsaults and SSP's to the outside after only 3 months training. Usually all skinny, white guys in the worst ring gear you have ever seen. See any botchamania for many examples.

Some people call anyone who does high flying wrestling "flippy\floppy" though. I have seen it used to describe Lucha, Dragon Gate, Michinoku Pro, Chikara etc. These people would be idiots of course.

Jack Evans is somewhere in the middle for me. He is unquestionably very good at what he does. In terms of batshit crazy movesets he would be right at the top of the list for high-flyers. So if you want to see a daft spotfest he is good value. On the other hand, he struggles to put together even basic matches that make much sense. Even good workers have had a nightmare carrying him. He looks like a backyarder too, which doesent help much.

I never used to be a fan of Jack Evans what so ever. However in his defence in his recent TNA bookings he looks alot 'bulkier' than his usual rib showing skinny self.

Teddy Hart got in trouble backstage because he did a shooting star press on someone who was on the floor without telling him he was going to do the move.

Wasn't it a SSP from the top rope onto one of the Carnage Crew in the ring? I'm pretty sure ROH editted it out.

I like Jack Evans.

He flips about ludicrously which I find fun, and athletically impressive.

Yeah, he's a scrawny little guy, but no one sells his offense like death anyway and he doesn't do "big man" moves, so that's fine.

He is great at selling / happy to put himself in dangerous and painful situation, so I love seeing him flip about like a loon, and then get absolutely mullered after.

I'm with this, I'm not a fan of flippy-dips usually but I'm a fan of Jack Evans. I don't like all his stuff, and I do in general prefer a slower pace, but I'll happily watch Evans and enjoyed his recent TNA work.

The problem with someone like Evans is that he reduces the importance of everyone else's moves on the card. By doing the sort of moves he does, and then popping up and being ok, or not getting a pin or whatever, it means that if Kurt Angle does a moonsault later in the show it's less impactful, less important.

People say there's no kayfabe any more, but there is - there has to be a suspension of disbelief to really enjoy a good wrestling match. Just as you suspend your disbelief when watching Matt Damon in a Bourne film: I know he's not Jason Bourne, but I suspend my disbelief for the purposes of entertainment.

Evans is the equivalent of Matt Damon turning to the camera in the middle of a fight and saying "how fucking cool is THIS shit". It breaks the fourth wall, it's just gymnastics in a ring with no thought, it's selfish and it encourages a law of diminishing returns, just as hardcore did. In the end you had people no-selling chairshots to the back of the head just to get a reaction from the crowd. Pointless and ultimately self-defeating.

Variety is the spice of life, I think its one of the things hurting WWE.

As much as I love the High flying style of wrestling, I couldn't watch it week in week out in every match. However the same can be said about the more traditional matches, or hardcore matches, or Pure wrestling, having only one set style of wrestling card is a sure fire way of losing paying customers/viewers in the long run.

• Paid Members

Evans is a disgrace. Everything he does, Pac does better, without dropping on his bonce because he over-rotated. Plus he paces his stuff out throughout the match and only does something ridiculous when nailing (or missing) the move is likely to end the match.

I do disagree slightly with the analogy that stupid crazy stuff on minor attractions detracts from if Kurt Angle does his moonsault. You can throw all kinds of shit out there in a wacky 7-minute, fun-yet-meaningless sprint to open the show, and I don't think it means half as much as when the main eventers are out there doing their thing. From the way you've presented and built your guys over time, people will care so much more when Kurt freakin' Angle busts out his biggest guns, because it's Kurt freakin' Angle.

Archived