Memories of watching/listening to music with parents.

wolveswrestling

A take off from the thread of memories of watching wrestling with your parents.

To get started our whole family as always been into queen, even when I was just 8 playing the works albums always got the big thumps up. Never worked with any other band.

Also seems strange now, but remember my mom whispering to my dad during the radio ga ga video about freddie being gay and then I went to school next day telling everyone.

Other time was watching the thriller video first time it was on tv, my dad looking at me the whole time seeing if i would look away.

My biggest memory was the night before GnR played at Wembley in 1992, they showed the entire concert on TV from Paris and I had it turned up to 11, pulled the TV out from it's corner and made it into an event with my mom and dad watching with me and enjoying it almost as much as I did. Was on the steps of Wembley at 9am the next morning. GnR, Soundgarden and Faith no More, best concert ever.

Apart from that my mom was always into Soul and R&B stuff, we used to listen to things like Soul II Soul, George Benson, Luthor Vandross, Barry White, Bob Marley etc. My dad was into stuff like Meat Loaf, so I had a varied musical up bringing, one day listening to Bon Jovi, of all bands and singing along while my parents were out, they came in and caught me my mom said "yeah they're good but have nothing on Alice Cooper" and form then I found out she used to sing in a Metal band and listen to things like "dead Babies" etc.

Oh and my mom sang on Michelle Gayle's - "Sweetness" covering all the high parts as MG couldn't sing them. Epic.

• Paid Members

My Dad played mostly country and Western when I was little, and I thought I'd wiped it out of my mind.

Bought Fallout New Vegas the other week, and was trundling round the desert in it, when "Big Iron" by Marty Robbins started playing.

I knew all the frigging words.......................................

• Paid Members

My first gig was going to see Jimmy Nail with my folks, but far more memorable was going to see Shania Twain. My mom wasn't even that big a fan, but my dad sure was.

She changed outfits about five times. The evening was slightly tainted by the fact my mom thought the lad sat next to her was interfering with himself under his jacket. The lad sat next to my dad DEFINITELY was. It was me.

• Paid Members

I have an enduring memory of ska music being played in my house. Sat round on Sunday evenings with what my sister and I called the "choo choo" song on the record player. No idea what the song was called, who it was by or if what I remember is even an actual song but it is burned into my brain...

• Paid Members

My Mum made me go and see Charley Pride with her when I was 8. I loved it. :ninja:

When I started to get into rock music all I heard from my folks was about how all of them were drug-taking lunatics. How smug I was when I was old enough to know that Elvis, Lennon, The Stones etc were like that too!

• Paid Members

Wrestling-related, but I was mortified when my mum started singing the lyrics to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to DDP's entrance theme when watching WCW WorldWide one evening. I was even more shocked when she told me she had Sting's new entrance theme ("Seek & Destroy") on CD.

• Paid Members
I have an enduring memory of ska music being played in my house. Sat round on Sunday evenings with what my sister and I called the "choo choo" song on the record player. No idea what the song was called, who it was by or if what I remember is even an actual song but it is burned into my brain...

Long shot here, but might it have been Guns of Navarone by The Skatalites?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bczs6vS5nNM

I suggest this as the intro sounds a bit like a train. There's shit loads of ska songs with that sort of vocal on them though, so it might have been any number, but this is a quite famous example.

My dad had three tapes in the car when I was a kid The Best Of Queen vol 1, a Status Quo one and the best of Elkie Brooks! ( 2 outta three aint bad) A weekend without marguerita time wasnt a proper weekend

I can also say my intro to live music came with my dad in 1992. Got to see a Radio 1 roadshow with Status Quo, Del Amitri and Take That. And then later that year saw Phillip Schofield in Joseph. What can I say Im varied?

• Paid Members
Long shot here, but might it have been Guns of Navarone by The Skatalites?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bczs6vS5nNM

I suggest this as the intro sounds a bit like a train. There's shit loads of ska songs with that sort of vocal on them though, so it might have been any number, but this is a quite famous example.

For a long shot that's pretty fucking close but the rhythm isn't right. Still thanks for the suggestion as now I can go on a quest for answers...

• Paid Members
My dad had three tapes in the car when I was a kid The Best Of Queen vol 1, a Status Quo one and the best of Elkie Brooks! ( 2 outta three aint bad) A weekend without marguerita time wasnt a proper weekend

My dad's car tape collection also consisted of 3 albums, we had a 50's rock n roll compilation with stuff like Bill Haley, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, then Bob Marley's 'Legend' album, and best of all 'Licensed to Ill' by the Beastie Boys.

• Paid Members

I don't remember my parents ever liking music when I was a kid. I think my dad had 2 tapes which I used to listen to, one was a Queen's greatest hits and the other was a rip of the first 2 sides of rolled gold the Rolling Stones greatest hits. The odd thing is though my dad hates music, not dislikes it but genuinely hates it. Always turned the car radio off, and I've never once caught him listening to any music. My mum has never shown any real interest in music either. I vaguely remember her having a copy of Graceland by Paul Simon that she used to stick on when doing the housework on a Sunday morning, but apart from that she only ever listens to classical music. But here's the kicker, my grandad was a musician, and my uncle is a musician, and both me and my sister's fella are musicians. Maybe that's why they got together, they both hate music.

Archived