'Relevant' Gimmicks

Cobra1000

Read something in another thread about how MVP had a relevant gimmick with the "overpaid, overhyped Sports Star" gimmick which was pretty good, so what else is relevant in wrestling today? And do you think there should be more gimmicks relevant to popular culture and other forms of entertainment?

Do you think there should be more gimmicks that relate to other things? Or is having Robbie E enough?

Over the top gimmicks don't really fly these days what with Pro Wrestling being promoted as being more "real". For example if The Undertaker was debuted today it would be ridiculed by many. As would the likes of Big Bossman, I.R.S. and other such gimmicks.

Cena had the rap gimmick back a number of years ago which got over because it was plausable and people could relate to it, as MVP's could like you said.

Something like an Internet Millionaire gimmick would work.

I'd always hoped with the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie being released earlier this year that we'd see the return of Burchill and his Jack Sparrow gimmick cos that was well funny and probably his finest hour in WWE.

Similarly i really hope WWE bite the bullet and give someone a Harry Potter-esque gimmick while people still care about it as there's been rumors for years that it's been suggested for different people and then not happened.

I think the Bossman and I.R.S characters would work, they'd just need updating and toning down a little bit to make them more subtle and to fit in with the WWE's current style. A corrupt cop or government worker and an overpaid, recession causing banker could be great heel gimmicks. The banker could get instant heat if every week you just saw him getting a fat bonus cheque.

Over the top gimmicks don't really fly these days what with Pro Wrestling being promoted as being more "real". For example if The Undertaker was debuted today it would be ridiculed by many.

I have read that even back than they thought The Undertaker was only going to be a short term gimmick as it was a bit OTT and after about 6 months to a year they would repackage him.

Muhammad Hassan was a fucking heat machine. They should bring him and Shawn Daivari back. Not very PC or PG, but they were the most legie heels going when they were around. Daivari has a brother who wrestles too. He uses a top rope move as his finisher, and in mid air uses a "flying carpet". Pretty creative stuff I reckon.

I think the Briscoe brothers could do alright too. They don

• Paid Members

Briscoes need to learn how to work WWE style first, and I'm being charitable here. Plus, WWE wouldn't call them the Briscoes, not after they've inducted the original Briscoes into the HOF relatively recently. Unless they run a "Broken Flowers" storyline where Gerry gets a letter that two sons that he fathered and didn't know about are on their way to find him, and he goes batshit mental trying to figure out who it is.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Zack Ryder or The Shore - of all the gimmicks that are "current", they are. And agreed about MVP - I thought the gimmick was genius the moment he debuted.

• Paid Members

Always thought that the whole network representative gimmick, working that everything stays to a certain level of control was good. Would still be relevant, have a heel authority that keeps WWE PG by having anything involving weapons, blood etc stopped.

Would be a decent idea that in a few years when WWE updates their demographic again to the fans growing up again (attitude x2) have someone take it upon themselves to bring WWE into the non pg era, by doing stuff to go against him. Then once he's removed from the company, the new era begins.

Much like Austin's 3:16 rant

I thought JBL's 'cabinet' was a pretty good heel gimmick of its time, particularly considering the anti-Bush feeling worldwide back then and his implied Republican leanings. I think you could pretty much develop a couple of decent gimmicks today out of that - a slimy politician maneuvering his way to the top by sucking up to the bosses and forging alliances of convenience for one, and a modern play on the 'rich cunt' gimmick with a banker/speculator who makes money off the misfortune of others. I think that would have been a better way for Ted Dibiase Jr. to go than just 'trust fund brat' who wastes money on random shit.

I thought JBL's 'cabinet' was a pretty good heel gimmick of its time, particularly considering the anti-Bush feeling worldwide back then and his implied Republican leanings. I think you could pretty much develop a couple of decent gimmicks today out of that - a slimy politician maneuvering his way to the top by sucking up to the bosses and forging alliances of convenience for one, and a modern play on the 'rich cunt' gimmick with a banker/speculator who makes money off the misfortune of others. I think that would have been a better way for Ted Dibiase Jr. to go than just 'trust fund brat' who wastes money on random shit.

They should have gone all out with DiBiase and turn him completely 90210. Seriously, whenever I see an advert for that programme, I want to hit every single one of the characters in the face. They look so pruned and fortunate, I can't help but hate them. Put DiBiase with a couple of pretty boys from FCW, accompany them with a few divas and give Teddy better music and it might have turned out a lot better.

Then again, it's Ted DiBiase, he's quite bland - I doubt he could pull it off.

Archived