Moving to Newcastle/Gateshead.

FLips

• Paid Members

Would applying for the job and asking for a month or so to save up some money and find a place to live be the wise option?

Assuming I get it.

Also, would a house or flat be the better option to rent?

As a Teessider who lived in Newcastle for a couple of years I can say for certain it is a lot more expensive. First thing you need to do is set yourself a budget on rent that you are willing to pay. Don't forget to include in your calculations council tax, utility bills and broadband. Also think about how much cash you want to piss about with each month. Unless you have great negotiation skills you will be at the bottom of the pay scale at

That's the problem. I have absolutely no idea about anything :(

:laugh:

Seriously AAA, have you tried Google to find the answer to some of your queries? Not the figuring out a flat thing but even just researching distances between places, prices of things and reading about the different locations in the area. Sometimes the best way to do these things is not ask too many questions and just jump in at the deep end and learn on the go. And again, like should be said every time, you shouldn't bother trying to get life advice from people on here. Have you actually paid attention to the stuff some people admit to on here?!

Good luck on the job though bud :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
How is access from Sunderland to Newcastle via bus? How long would it take to get from A to B on a morning?

Getting to Newcastle Business Park from Sunderland would be an arse-on. Sure, you can get the Metro to Newcastle and whatnot, but then from Newcastle Central Station to Newcastle Business Park? Urgh. And any money you save in accommodation you then spend on travelling costs.

If you move to somewhere within Newcastle, you may still need to get two buses from where you live to town, and then (I think) the 22 to Throckley from City Centre, it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper (being one zone) than commuting from Sunderland, which'll take you outside of the second zone, meaning you would need to buy an "all zones" Nexus travel pass, which aren't cheap.

Hope this helps.

Would applying for the job and asking for a month or so to save up some money and find a place to live be the wise option?

Assuming I get it.

Also, would a house or flat be the better option to rent?

If the job is with The AA (Which I'm guessing from location, pay and your discussion about jobs in the other thread) avoid it at all costs. I won't go into why on here, but feel free to PM me for more details if required. If it isn't, ignore me and carry on.

• Paid Members
If the job is with The AA (Which I'm guessing from location, pay and your discussion about jobs in the other thread) avoid it at all costs. I won't go into why on here, but feel free to PM me for more details if required. If it isn't, ignore me and carry on.

No, it's with a small business that makes advertisements for other small businesses.

Firstly, if you're working at Newcastle Business Park I'd definitely recommend living in Newcastle itself rather than Sunderland. Would make it so much easier for you to get too as a newbie to the area plus, as cities, the two just don't compare (no offence Sunderland). Also the business park is about 5 minutes bus/car from the city centre where it's all happening.

There's loadsa housing around that area that I'd imagine would be pretty cheap. It's not the best of areas directly surrounding the business park but I'm sure you could find some nicer parts. The best places to live in Newcastle are probably Gosforth and Jesmond - though you'd pay more for rent. Heaton is also a nice studenty area too.

If you're house sharing then there's probably not that much difference which area you live if you look carefully enough. PM me if you want any more advice.

You could need to take into account..

Rent

council tax

gas

electric

water

tv licence

phone

mobile phone

internet

tv service

travel to and from work

food shopping

Budget for all of those, (ok you could lose a few but those i think are the ones most people have) and then work out what you have left to live on. Judging from you saying over and over again you have no clue i'd guess that your nowhere near ready for the task of looking after yourself but good luck if you decide to do it.

• Paid Members
You could need to take into account..

Rent

council tax

gas

electric

water

tv licence

phone

mobile phone

internet

tv service

travel to and from work

food shopping

Budget for all of those, (ok you could lose a few but those i think are the ones most people have) and then work out what you have left to live on. Judging from you saying over and over again you have no clue i'd guess that your nowhere near ready for the task of looking after yourself but good luck if you decide to do it.

:laugh: I'm probably not, but I've got to give it a go eventually. Worse situation is I just move back home. Hardly life or death.

Archived