Moving to Newcastle/Gateshead.

FLips

• Paid Members

There's a job I reckon I could get in Newcastle Business Park, but obviously this would involve me having to move to Newcastle.

I have no idea where to start, how to go along with it, how transport is between where I'd live and my place of work, etc. This is all hypothetical at the minute, but I'd have to know all this stuff and sort out a flat before I got the job.

The pay is between 13000-16000 a year.

Any tips on where would be accessable/affordable/nice to move to, and how to go about doing that?. I'm sure a lot of you will have moved out for work to somewhere new.

• Paid Members

We're full.

Seriously though, how much do you want to spend on rent etc? Any preference on what type of place you'd like to live? (studentville, somewhere quiet, etc.) And I'll try and give you a quick rundown of where is good/bad, transport links etc.

• Paid Members
We're full.

Seriously though, how much do you want to spend on rent etc? Any preference on what type of place you'd like to live? (studentville, somewhere quiet, etc.) And I'll try and give you a quick rundown of where is good/bad, transport links etc.

That's the problem. I have absolutely no idea about anything :(

I'm totally biased, but move to Sunderland. It's a bit of a shithole in places, but has a million hidden gems and is a small fortune cheaper than Newcastle. The metro and bus services and roads to Newcastle and the surrounding areas are absolutely phenomenal, and cost of living here is absolutely fuck all compared to literally 15 minutes up the road. Seriously. By the time you move up the career ladder and get more money, you'll know a few more areas and be able to make your own mind up on how you want to improve your quality of life, but as a way to start things on the cheap and easy, it's the way to do it.

• Paid Members

Maybe go and get some numbers worked out and try and figure out the financial side of things first then come back. In the meantime all I can say is that Newcastle isn't a greatly expensive, it's real easy to get acquainted with and it's a nice place to live, so as someone who has lived here just a year I'd recommend it.

• Paid Members
I'm totally biased, but move to Sunderland. It's a bit of a shithole in places, but has a million hidden gems and is a small fortune cheaper than Newcastle. The metro and bus services and roads to Newcastle and the surrounding areas are absolutely phenomenal, and cost of living here is absolutely fuck all compared to literally 15 minutes up the road. Seriously. By the time you move up the career ladder and get more money, you'll know a few more areas and be able to make your own mind up on how you want to improve your quality of life, but as a way to start things on the cheap and easy, it's the way to do it.

This is also pretty sound advice, I lived in Sunderland last year and It was ridiculously cheap and a great place to live for the price. Another factor possibly worth considering.

It would probably take about 20 minutes on the Metro to get from Sunderland to Newcastle, maybe less. I haven't made the trip much. I currently live in Jesmond (literally two stops from City Centre) and it's really nice! It's quite small but cheap (cheaper than I thought it would be) and has everything you need really. Shame about the students like but ya na...

How is access from Sunderland to Newcastle via bus? How long would it take to get from A to B on a morning?

30 mins on the Metro give or take 5 minutes either way depending on where in Newcastle you get off and where in Sunderland you get on. It's quick yet still has millions of stops. Bus is nearer an hour I think, but again has loads of stops for lots of estates/work locations. I work in Sunderland now, but when I did work in Newcastle, and even further North, it was still a total breeze.

• Paid Members

Well I go the other way to Uni on the metro, takes about 30-40 minutes. The bus i would not recommend, unless you live away from a the metro line (certain parts of town and gateshead for example) it really isn't worth getting the bus.

Archived