APRIL DAVIDS in Japan

cheetah69uk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I did say mostly the same things.

Yeah, I get that, but I'd say that the one, major difference, is significant enough as to why they're not lambasted for the similarities.

I can just add on whats been said about that business model. Like Osaka Pro. They run these small shows at their own sponsored arena just to keep the business going on a small scale during the midweek while the promotion focus on promoting the bigger shows of the week. On those small shows there are just 3 matches for a show lasting about an hour in the afternoon for whoever want to pass some time with simple wrestling. They don't do anything special with these shows. It's the simplest form of wrestling mixing a little comedy with 1/3rd of the roster coming into the office to do this quick afternoon 'training' session. There is no effort or costly about doing these shows. So it basically only keeps the wrestlers in shape while maybe making some pocket money if a fan buys a souviner. And they do well on their bigger shows. Not many shows draw over 1000 fans, but it's not like they waste a lot of money either.

Kaientai Dojo do the same. Small shows at their own arena/dojo with their hardcore fans coming in to see an almost training session of little importance with majority of the promotions affiliates focus on the bigger shows with nobody having to do any effort about those small shows which are barely on the radar. Kaientai is no big promotion and they only sell out 1/3rd or half the Korakuen Hall when they are there. But they can be a entertaining promotion at times for those bigger shows.

Ice Ribbon do the long-established joshi formula. Ever since the collapse in 2005 and a little bit before that joshi has learned how to run shows on a small-time basis. Hobby shows where the wrestlers might get a little fee, but probable make most on fans appreciation for autographs and pics. They have a small sponsored dojo arena where they run the day-to-day shows and then promote some other places like K-Dojo and Osaka Pro. Ice Ribbon try and run the Korakuen Hall 2 times a year or something, but they draw about the same as Kaientai Dojo. Not well. Ice Ribbon is a small part-time promotion. And while I can enjoy Osaka Pro and Kaientai Dojo....Ice Ribbon just doesn't do it for me.

It's not that I get offended much that they use kids. It's just the whole atmpsohere and philosophy of their product. Very 'entertainment' based which few find entertaining. They have the typical joshi acion matches where they run around like mad and try to do fancy stuff. And even if they sometimes nail it, it's hard to appreciate because it's not wrestlers you repect or have the legit enough training to make you belive or enjoy their effort. I've been a hardcore joshi fan for close to two decades, and Ice Ribbon and it's like-minded promotions are killing my fandom with their idea of what wrestling is. And I'm not the only joshi fan who feels that way.

--PUNQ--

Yeah, I get that, but I'd say that the one, major difference, is significant enough as to why they're not lambasted for the similarities.

I'd like to hope the major difference is that these promotions still put on a good show. I mean, if PTW do 4 shows a week with 30 people in the crowd, but then do one show a month where there's 800 in the crowd, they'd still be shit.

As for Osaka Pro it's more like 20-30 fans 3-4 times a week. Then 200-300 during the weekend along with one or two shows at closer to 1,000 fans a month. Plus their annual 'WrestleMania'/big show which draws somewhere between 3000-5000 fans.

Kaientai Dojo does it at a smaller scale. Anywhere from 20 to 150 fans at their dojo/smaller arena shows and maybe one show every 2 months of over 500 fans. Ice Ribbon the same.

--PUNQ--

• Paid Members
I'd like to hope the major difference is that these promotions still put on a good show. I mean, if PTW do 4 shows a week with 30 people in the crowd, but then do one show a month where there's 800 in the crowd, they'd still be shit.

Your logic's a little odd there. If they're drawing 800 in the crowd once a month in the UK, they're clearly not shit, 30 people at a 4-a-week show or not. And if it turns out that they draw 800 because of the publicity drummed up by the 4-a-week shows, then that's even less reason to call them that.

On top of that, if they're drawing 800 a month on a regular basis, they're obviously putting on shows which draw people back in large numbers, so by this evidence alone, they're not shit.

EDIT: Ultimately, it comes down to whether they're making a regular loss or not from their business model. Seeing as these promotions appear to be flourishing, I'd say that's pretty concrete evidence they're not shit (in promoting terms), right? In terms of their product, it's less clear, but they're drawing loads, getting on TV and getting regular fans, so I think the answer's pretty obvious.

April suffered a broken finger today whilst wrestling Masa Takanashi from the DDT promotion. Don't go thinking that's going to stop her though, this is April Davids we're talking about. You break April's finger, she smiles at you and breaks your face. It's just what she does. Really looking forward to her match with Hikaru Shida who as I mentioned earlier is one of the top names in all of Joshi Puroresu (not just Ice Ribbon) going today and who has been dubbed 'The Future Ace Of Joshi'.

271715_229723510394144_100000694908026_755206_2640665_o.jpg

That is April's hand. Despite this however April still wrestled her match against Hikaru Shida who wisely targeted the injury and defeated April with an arm bar.

After the match however, Ice Ribbon's Hikaru Shida spoke to April Davids in English stating that she respected Davids' Fightin' Spirit and wished to form a tag team with 'The Lancashire Terrier'. April then responded in Japanese accepting Shida's offer so now heading into EVE vs Ice Ribbon we have the unexpected sight of a tag team comprised on one Ice Ribbon wrestler and one EVE wrestler!

Stay tuned for more details on this development!

From Ice Ribbon Tumblr:

Today's main event of Ice Ribbon #308 at Warabi Dojo, Saitama, Japan:

Hikaru Shida & April Davids (Pro Wrestling EVE) vs Tsukasa Fujimoto & Mochi Miyagi

The matches just keep on getting bigger for April who is impressing everyone thus far!

From Ice Ribbon Tumblr:

Today's main event of Ice Ribbon #308 at Warabi Dojo, Saitama, Japan:

Hikaru Shida & April Davids (Pro Wrestling EVE) vs Tsukasa Fujimoto & Mochi Miyagi

The matches just keep on getting bigger for April who is impressing everyone thus far!

Just read on the @iceribboneurope Twitter that April and Shida won with April getting the pinfall.

tsukasafujimotoaprildavidshikarushida.jpg

Left to right, ICEx60 Champion Tsukasa Fujimoto, April Davids & Hikaru Shida.

As previously mentioned April Davids & Hikaru Shida defeated the tag team of ICEX60 Champion Tsukasa Fujimoto & Mochi Miyagi when April pinned Miyagi with a German Suplex Hold. April's Win Loss record in Japan now stands at 2:1.

April will be competing on todays live episode of 19pro, Ice Ribbon's weekly free and live show on Ustream at http://19pro.ne07.jp April will again team with Hikaru Shida against ICEx60 Champion Tsukasa Fujimoto & former IW19 Champion Tsukushi! The show airs at 11am UK time :-)

To recap, you can watch Ice Ribbon LIVE and FREE THIS MORNING at 11am GMT by clicking this link!

This mornings card:

IW19 championship: Chii Tomiya © vs Makoto

Hikaru Shida & April Davids (Pro Wrestling EVE) vs Tsukasa Fujimoto & Tsukushi

We understand April will also have words concerning the upcoming EVE vs Ice Ribbon series on Oct 8 & 9 in Doncaster!

Tune in to watch 19pro live!

After today, April has a new tag partner tomorrow.

Card for tomorrow:

July 23, 2011 - IR 309, Warabi Dojo, Saitama, Japan:

1 - Tsukushi vs Kurumi

2 - Makoto vs Maki Narumiya

3 - Kaori Yoneyama (JWP) vs Dorami Nagano

4 - Chii Tomiya & April Davids (Pro Wrestling EVE) vs Tsukasa Fujimoto & Hikari Minami

Archived