APRIL DAVIDS in Japan

cheetah69uk

not sure if anyone had noted that April is in Japan at the moment and has just posted on facebook.....here what shes posted.....plus a link to the website

so i win my first match via double arm suplex with a double arm submission against a very tough opponent nagano dorami!!! she kicked my feckin arse!!!!! talk about pain and shes only 17

http://iceribbon.tumblr.com/

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, congratulations April Davids.

Anyone else notice this, erm, well, interesting show from a few days ago?

July 10, 2011 - Gakenohuchi Pro Wrestling, Radiant Hall, Yokohama, Japan (213 crowd):

Speech Confrontation: The Great Sasuke (Michinoku Pro Wrestling) beat Miyako Matsumoto

Pro Wrestling match: The Great Sasuke beat Miyako Matsumoto

Impression Confrontation: The Great Sasuke (as Gran Hamada) defeated Miyako Matsumoto (as Kim Jong-il)

Ballet Confrontation: The Great Sasuke (as Black Swan) beat Miyako Matsumoto

Singing Confrontation: The Great Sasuke beat Miyako Matsumoto

Pro Wrestling match: Tsukasa Fujimoto (Ice Ribbon) beat Miyako Matsumoto

• Paid Members
They run loads of shows a month to crowds of about 70. How can they afford this? Money Mark?

They probably make a bit of cash from training. Also, I could be wrong here, but I think they've got TV as well, so they probably get a bit from that and DVD sales.

They run loads of shows a month to crowds of about 70. How can they afford this? Money Mark?

There are about 4 or 5 Japanese promotions that use the same business model: Osaka Pro, K-Dojo, and Okinawa Pro all run multiple shows a week, with fairly small crowds. In Osaka-Pro's case they have 3 midweek shows (crowds between 20 and 60), a weekend show (at least 100) and then some bigger shows every month.

I think part of it is that the wrestlers are almost all trainees from the same wrestling school (so fairly cheap and a lot of part timers) , they run a regular cheap (or, in Osaka Pro's case, their own) venue and in many cases they have very regular repeat customers and a loyal fan base.

With Ice Ribbon, it started as a training school and they ran shows so the students could learn. I don't know the finances but I don't think a money mark (in the usual sense) is involved.

• Paid Members
There are about 4 or 5 Japanese promotions that use the same business model: Osaka Pro, K-Dojo, and Okinawa Pro all run multiple shows a week, with fairly small crowds. In Osaka-Pro's case they have 3 midweek shows (crowds between 20 and 60), a weekend show (at least 100) and then some bigger shows every month.

I think part of it is that the wrestlers are almost all trainees from the same wrestling school (so fairly cheap and a lot of part timers) , they run a regular cheap (or, in Osaka Pro's case, their own) venue and in many cases they have very regular repeat customers and a loyal fan base.

With Ice Ribbon, it started as a training school and they ran shows so the students could learn. I don't know the finances but I don't think a money mark (in the usual sense) is involved.

Have O-Pro really dwindled that far? I remember their attendances being a bit bigger than 60 people.

Have O-Pro really dwindled that far? I remember their attendances being a bit bigger than 60 people.

Carbomb, the attendances I'm quoting are for their weekday shows, which are held between 1pm and 3pm. So attendance varies between 20 and about 100 (this is using the last weeks attendance figures). The weekend shows draw between 100 and 300, depending on the card. Plus, they often run monthly shows at bigger venues in osaka with crowds around 700+, and shows of over 600 in cities other than Osaka. Plus, they have a few shows a year with more than 1000 people.

The shows you have seen are probably more likely the bigger shows. The low attendance shows are, as I said, on weekdays at the Osaka Minami Move on Arena (which they own, and which is also sponsored).

• Paid Members
Carbomb, the attendances I'm quoting are for their weekday shows, which are held between 1pm and 3pm. So attendance varies between 20 and about 100 (this is using the last weeks attendance figures). The weekend shows draw between 100 and 300, depending on the card. Plus, they often run monthly shows at bigger venues in osaka with crowds around 700+, and shows of over 600 in cities other than Osaka. Plus, they have a few shows a year with more than 1000 people.

The shows you have seen are probably more likely the bigger shows. The low attendance shows are, as I said, on weekdays at the Osaka Minami Move on Arena (which they own, and which is also sponsored).

That's the thing - I've seen a few matches at the old Delfin Arena (if that's the same as the one you mentioned), and the crowds, whilst not over 60 people, didn't seem as small as just 20.

Bizarre.

That's the thing - I've seen a few matches at the old Delfin Arena (if that's the same as the one you mentioned), and the crowds, whilst not over 60 people, didn't seem as small as just 20.

Bizarre.

Osaka Pro moved out of the old Delfin Arena around 2007. The new one is in the Dotonbori area of Osaka Pro, the old one was in a theme park. I would guess lower average weekday attnedances could be down to either mmoving location or the economy. Or wrestling just not being as popular as it was (as seems to be the case almost everywhere).

April Davids is indeed staying at the Ice Ribbon Dojo in Japan where she is representing Pro-Wrestling:EVE in competition whilst furthering her training. She arrived last Monday and will be there for about a month. She made her on screen debut this past Friday on their Ustream #19pro show and in-ring debut today defeating Nagano Dorami. 'The Lancashire Terrier' now moves on to facing 'The Future Ace Of Joshi Puroresu', one of the top female stars in Japan today Hikaru Shida this coming Saturday at Ice Ribbon #307.

For those interested here are the official results from today's shows taken from Ice Ribbon's official site:

1 - Emi Sakura beat Maki Narumiya (6:38)

2 - April Davids (EVE) best Dorami Nagano (4:07)

3 - Chii Tomiya & Ribbon Takanashi (DDT) defeated Mochi Miyagi & Shinobu (666) > Takanashi pinned Miyagi (10:41)

4 - 3Way match: Neko Nitta defeated Tsukasa Fujimoto and Hikaru Shida > Nitta pinned Fujimoto (7:30)

As a result of Nitta pinning Fujimoto Nitta will now receive a shot at the ICEx60 title.

Due to April training in Japan at Ice Ribbon it certainly puts her in an interesting position ahead of the Pro-Wrestling:EVE vs Ice Ribbon Inter-promotional Series on October 8 and 9!

• Paid Members
Osaka Pro moved out of the old Delfin Arena around 2007. The new one is in the Dotonbori area of Osaka Pro, the old one was in a theme park. I would guess lower average weekday attnedances could be down to either mmoving location or the economy. Or wrestling just not being as popular as it was (as seems to be the case almost everywhere).

Not entirely sure, but I think the Delfin Arena was in the old Namco theme park in Osaka which ended up closing down. Could be wrong, though. Also, didn't Delfin leave the promotion? Could be why they moved.

I think part of it is that the wrestlers are almost all trainees from the same wrestling school (so fairly cheap and a lot of part timers) , they run a regular cheap venue and in many cases they have very regular repeat customers and a loyal fan base.

Funny, but when a British promotion does mostly the same things it gets criticised non stop on here for being smalltime.

• Paid Members
Funny, but when a British promotion does mostly the same things it gets criticised non stop on here for being smalltime.

Yeah, but the main difference is, as Sixteen Degrees pointed out, they also have much bigger shows quite frequently. Dunno about Ice Ribbon, but O-Pro often has big events that sell well at Osaka Castle, and K-Dojo have done the same with Differ Ariake.

I'd say if there is a comparison to be drawn, it's promotions like IWA:MS, who frequently get magazine coverage here, yet draw the same as a shitarse UK promotion on a regular basis.

Archived