Help decide my future.

Glenryck Pilchards

Members of the UKFF I need your help. Firstly let me give you a brief background of what has occurred so far. Last year my job was under threat with redundancies being made left right and centre due to the NHS restructuring programme and I was worried I was heading for the chopping block as a cheap option (In the NHS you need to work a minimum of two years before you are entitled to redundancy). So I decided to jump ship and moved to another NHS organisation which was a bit of a mistake as I am now doing a 130 mile round commute to Leeds. The job itself is fine but the financial and physical burden is overwhelming and I am getting to the point now I simply can

• Paid Members

Going by that I'd say the Local Authority job's a clear winner mate. Also, going into the unknown isn't really a negative, could well turn out to be a positive. And although the contract is only for 6 months or so at least you'll be doing something you enjoy a bit more, for more money and with added convenience of being able to walk to work. If it goes well then hopefully you can extend the contract, if not then you have 6 months on a higher salary to look for something else.

• Paid Members

When did you join the NHS? If you joined when the final salary pension scheme was still in effect and you plan to be there for several years, i'd take the job that retains your pension.

I used to work as a pension scheme administrator for Bedford PCT and my advice is if you're in the final salary scheme and plan to have 10 years or more service, stick with it as the rewards will be well worth it.

If you don't have membership to that scheme, the other job looks more desirable.

What's the local authority pension scheme like? Your contributions will be transferable, so if it's a decent scheme it shouldn't make much difference overall. It depends really on what the future looks like. One gives you a job for eight months, the other gives you a job for two years. If there's a reasonable prospect of either/or being extended, that one looks like a more secure bet. With the NHS, once you add in your current service, you should get put in for redundancy or redeployment if/when that job ends. I guess it depends a lot on how important the security is to you compared to the salary increase (and I guess the difference it makes to commuting costs/effort) and getting a more interesting job. Bear in mind that the local authority position will probably open other doors for you, whereas an NHS job really only opens other doors in the NHS, many of which would still be open to you with your current experience if you opt for the local authority gig.

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it.

When did you join the NHS? If you joined when the final salary pension scheme was still in effect and you plan to be there for several years, i'd take the job that retains your pension.

I used to work as a pension scheme administrator for Bedford PCT and my advice is if you're in the final salary scheme and plan to have 10 years or more service, stick with it as the rewards will be well worth it.

If you don't have membership to that scheme, the other job looks more desirable.

I became an NHS employee in August 2009 so I think I would have just missed out signing up for the final salary scheme.

What's the local authority pension scheme like?

My brother is currently in it and he contributes a similar amount to what I am doing with my NHS pension, so I don't think that is too much of an issue. I didn't realise that my current contributions would be transferred across so that is useful to know.

Thanks for the insight guys, I have had more of a leaning to the Local Authority job and you have helped allay some doubts.

Well I cocked that interview up for the council job. I was given a 15 minute test and with two minutes to go I realised that the charge was a monthly amount and not a weekly amount as I calculated so had no time to recover. However my neighbour had an interview for the same job and he did the same thing so hopefully by some divine intervention everyone else does the same thing.

Archived