Good Barrows!

kendal mint cake

Fun fictional fact related to Barrow: In the original Railway Series (Thomas the tank engine books), the Island of Sodor was actually connected to Barrow via a bridge, and the big express trains that Gordon pulled stopped there. Lord knows why they picked Barrow for that, but Barrow it was.

It was based on Walney Island, or

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The trains have been a fucking nightmare because of that. Fucking rail replacement busses? Fuck that. Were you working there on Sunday? My train was cancelled outright then. Work faster in future, some of us have got wrestling shows to be at.

Sorry, there was no need for all that swearing. Thanks for your good work.

I wasn't there Sunday, but I apologise for any delay you suffered. I hope that you will feel the benefits of the works in the next few months. The speed limit on the viaduct is currently 30mph, but will rise to 60mph in 6 months time. Hopefully, the time you will save in future will justify the misery of using the bus.

As for working faster, the project has been completed 6 weeks ahead of programme, so it could have been worse.

Bertie%20the%20bus%20with%20passengers.jpg

Absolutely genius. Good arrows, so to speak.

I wasn't there Sunday, but I apologise for any delay you suffered. I hope that you will feel the benefits of the works in the next few months. The speed limit on the viaduct is currently 30mph, but will rise to 60mph in 6 months time. Hopefully, the time you will save in future will justify the misery of using the bus.

As for working faster, the project has been completed 6 weeks ahead of programme, so it could have been worse.

Thank you bro. I was only humorously exaggerating with the aggression in the previous post. For some reason that area of the railway seems to require repair every weekend of the summer every year! It

Is this the Kendal thread? The Tesco's in Barrow is dump, but the girls my sister taught RE in Ulveston weren't.

It's good to see Kendal back though. Much missed, top banter.

Ulverston Tesco's is a bit too small for my liking, can't get ideally everything I'd want but can't put too much expectation into a "Metro" size store (and fuck going to Booths it's too expensive)

Usually down in Barrow to go to the Dentist's, it's not the greatest place in the world but so long as you don't hang around too long it's got what you need.

• Moderators

I don't think they had one when I was there. It was early 2003 or so. Instead they had a super posho supermarket which was a Booth's, if I remember correctly. My sister and my twat of a Brother-In-Law had a nice flat above the music shop. But all the pubs were Robinsons, which was offputting. Robinsons are a shit brewery.

I don't think they had one when I was there. It was early 2003 or so. Instead they had a super posho supermarket which was a Booth's, if I remember correctly. My sister and my twat of a Brother-In-Law had a nice flat above the music shop. But all the pubs were Robinsons, which was offputting. Robinsons are a shit brewery.

It's on the old Woolworths site. The Booth's is still there and it's still expensive, the Co-Op down at the bottom end of the Market street isn't too bad tho.

And yeah I tend to avoid the Robinsons brews, that said they do a nice light ale called Dizzy Blonde that's worth a pint.

Jealous of Walney?

Not a chance mate. Walney is about 4 times the size of Barrow Island, thus loosing our tightly knit community spirit. On Walney, everyone thinks they are slightly posher than us (apart from a little street where the heroin lads are based) and nobody acknowledges anybody. On Barrow Island everyone is a character, everyone is nuts, the police never come, despite fairly frequent murders and a thriving drug trade, even the pubs turn a blind eye to blatant drug use. Walney are more up their own arses than us. We

Archived