Fit Finlay explains WWE firing, working with the Divas

Brian Elliott

• Paid Members

Man, that Finlay had a tough job didn't he?

Finlay: Right ladies today we'll be working on just 2 moves. The headscissors and the abdominal stretch

Trish: Errrm...Mr Finlay, didn't we cover this yesterday?

Finlay: Yes but pracitce makes perfect. Assume the position.

Dirty bastard

but yeah on the subject, he seems to have handled it well, he knows he made an error of judgement and he's taken it on the chin.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I am who I am because I'm english. Being raised in this country and surrounded by what I've been surrounded by in so doing. Thus, I love my country. There is a difference between patriotism and jingoism and I'm pretty happy to live in Great Britain with its history, its humour and its culture. That's not to say I want to go around dismissing other countries because mine is "best", in the same way I'm not going to tell everyone their family is crap because I love mine, but that;s not what british patriotism should be. But when Brian Blessed says "God for Harry, England and St George" I get some pride, as well I should.

Patriotism is a load of mindless bullshit. Who gives a fuck about what shitty piece of land someone is from? When I was wathcing Raw t'other week there were "U-S-A" chants aimed at Sin Cara (I might be wrong, but it was some non-American wrestler) as was facing somone. How pathetic. Patriotism is just another barrier to put between different people.

Although I totally bought into it when I was a kid, the whole notion of patriotism leaves me cold these days. There are certainly aspects of British culture that I can take pride in, but none of those are bound up in rubbish like flags and anthems - particularly that load of cap-doffing, deferential tripe we call an anthem. I've got nothing against most of the royals personally, but if the plot of King Ralph actually happened I doubt I'd feel any sadder than I did when Columbo died. The more I think about how many people in this country voted Tory or think that Jade Goody or Cheryl Cole are national treasures, the more I realise that a nation is just a lump of land you share with a load of people whose backgrounds, values and lifestyles may be as foreign to you as a person living on the other side of the world.

But by saying that Richie you're just proving how bloody pointless it is. I was born in Ealing hospital, I don't take any pride in that. And considering the way people can migrate now days geography means even less. Its all just terribly old fashioned isn't it?

I've got nothing against most of the royals personally, but if the plot of King Ralph actually happened I doubt I'd feel any sadder than I did when Columbo died.

The death of Columbo upset me far more than it would if any or all of The Royal died and I'm not even a huge fan of his

I'm not patriotic at all England is OK but that's about it the one thing I think we do better than any other country is the NHS but that's about it.

I've never been proud of where I lived either I was born up north but the very moment I got a chance to move I took it put it this way I got a call about half past 5 I could move and was on a train by 6 I didn't even pack.

But by saying that Richie you're just proving how bloody pointless it is. I was born in Ealing hospital, I don't take any pride in that. And considering the way people can migrate now days geography means even less. Its all just terribly old fashioned isn't it?

Maybe so mate.

I

I definitely empathise more with the idea of 'patriotism' on a regional scale than a national one. For me, a lot of the typical rhetoric surrounding images of Englishness (especially regarding our figureheads) is elitist, deferential and London-centric. I don't identify with it in the slightest. However, I do feel proud of my north east roots, possibly because I feel like the area's industrial heritage and work ethic are things that my family have personally had a stake in. There's also probably more likelihood that I'll share cultural reference points and political views with people from this area than with someone from the south.

Fucking bang on for me too. Barrow

• Paid Members

When you think about how many people have died so that we can be who we are and what we are, I think it's a smack in the face to suggest our country isn't worthy of pride and patriotism. I respect everyone's right to think differently but I disagree 100%.

We're a relatively small population but we've got a wonderful history. We've affected the world greatly with the language and the culture and the inventions. We fight for ourselves and for other people and for such a small nation, we have great influence on the world. There are hundreds of millions of people who'd love to have the opportunity we have.

I don't disagree that peace in the world and equal wealth for all nations should be the goal for everyone on the planet but that shouldn't stop us being proud of who we are and what we can achieve.

Archived