Small things that make a match great...

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
Something else I like to see in a match, especially a big match - guys busting out stuff outwith their usual moveset. I get the impression from some on here that matches should just be punches, kicks, headlocks and armbars, because 'moves' is a bad word which describe these things you see on the indies. Regardless, I always like it when someone busts out something new, rare, or something they used in the past but don't anymore. Randomly is fine, but particularly after they've exhausted most of their usual stuff. It can really help to create a 'big time' feel to things, show that they're having to go above and beyond what they usually do to try and win, and it can add to the drama when done right.

Likewise, in an ordinary match, it can just look cool, and pop the crowd if it's something from years ago. Doesn't matter if it's a throw, dive, pin, submission or whatever, it can freshen up a match and make it more memorable, particularly these days when a lot of matches feel the same as everyone's faced everyone else several times.

------

You could also say Virus, Damiancito 333, Tzuki and Mascarita Dorada are small things that make a match great :)

I'd say this to especially in a big match for example Brock doing the S.S.P at Wrestlemania 19.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favourite bits in any match is the one where Austin wins the world title back off Kurt Angle on RAW in 2001. After Earl Hebner makes Austin release a Boston Crab when Kurt against the ropes, he bounces off the other rope to do the old Bossman 'leg across the back of the neck' thing, but Angle moves and Austin crotches himself. Austin limps away from the ropes in pain, but manages to find time to flip the bird to Hebner before Kurt flattens him.

About 4 mins in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elTfou4G9og...feature=related

It's a pretty decent, intense match overall, but that spot cracks me up every time. It's so in-character for Austin at the time, but such an an entertaining, off-hand moment in the match.

Used expertly by Steve Austin at Wrestlemania X7. That fit so, so well with the whole story of the match. Austin was desperate, Rock was kicking out of everything. They knew each other in the ring better than anyone else would and knew just about every trick they'd have going. They'd even been using each others finishers on each other in the match and weeks prior. Rock hadn't experienced 'The Ringmaster' Steve Austin though, the last time he'd busted out the Million$ Dream it backfired on him and just happened to be the night Rock debuted too. It's unlikely Rock would have expected to encounter it in the match. Plus, it signified what was about to come in the heel turn.

Top notch.

There were a lot of matches where Austin would throw in a different move - one that weren't so typical of him. He'd sometimes go back to some of his submissions presumably from 'Stunning' Steve Austin (I've not watched much of Austin from back then).

That link where he gives the middle finger to Hebner is funny. Nice touch.

Someone said something about doing moves somewhere other than in the middle of the ring. It'd be more of a detriment than a help. The vast majority of people are accustomed to things happening the way they are without any problems. If you were to start whipping and doing moves to the side, you're limiting your exposure to some areas of the audience and the wrestler's mindset would be if they did a move closer to the ropes they'd have to re-position them anyway so there was no rope break. It just looks sloppy when people lack ring awareness.

There were a lot of matches where Austin would throw in a different move - one that weren't so typical of him. He'd sometimes go back to some of his submissions presumably from 'Stunning' Steve Austin (I've not watched much of Austin from back then).

I used to wish he'd bust out that standing figure 4 variant he used latterly in his WCW run

I was the same with Triple H and his Terra Ryzing finisher, although he did use that every now and again in big PPV matches.

I used to wish he'd bust out that standing figure 4 variant he used latterly in his WCW run

I was the same with Triple H and his Terra Ryzing finisher, although he did use that every now and again in big PPV matches.

What was his Terra Ryzing finisher? Was that the Indian Deathlock? I remember him doing that at a Wrestlemania (at 19 against Booker T I think) and it looked lush.

What was his Terra Ryzing finisher? Was that the Indian Deathlock? I remember him doing that at a Wrestlemania (at 19 against Booker T I think) and it looked lush.

That's the one. I always liked it as a submission, especially when it was done in two stages like the time you mentioned. The first part where he presses the sole of his free foot against the guys knee actually looks better than once he's turned over.

That's the one. I always liked it as a submission, especially when it was done in two stages like the time you mentioned. The first part where he presses the sole of his free foot against the guys knee actually looks better than once he's turned over.

Yeah, that's a brilliant move. Did he use it against Benoit at all in their feud? It could have been good as a reminder that Triple H can go as a technical wrestler too. Maybe have Benoit reverse it in one of their later matches to show Benoit's technical proficiency too.

Yeah, that's a brilliant move. Did he use it against Benoit at all in their feud? It could have been good as a reminder that Triple H can go as a technical wrestler too. Maybe have Benoit reverse it in one of their later matches to show Benoit's technical proficiency too.

No idea man; apart from the first and last few years of it, most of the '00s passed me by. I vaguely remember loving their No Mercy 2000 match, but that was about it

• Paid Members

Little details like smaller wrestlers lifting their heels during a lockup to try and get leverage or that spot Benoit/Finlay/Regal used to do when they would tie up then fight the hold all the way to the outside of the ring. Little things that actually make a little bit of sense (well as much sense as something can in wrestling)...Oh and the way Bret takes a turnbuckle bump / Foley gets whipped into the ring steps

Not so much something that makes a match great but I don't know why the tag rope is abandoned. John Cena always uses it but he's one of few who seem to use it. I remember when Cody Rhodes went to get tagged in from the middle of the ring apron. The ref had to tell him to go back outside to where the turnbuckle was and get tagged in again. It wasn't as part of a distraction either, it was just a stupid mistake to make. His ring awareness seems to be off at times.

For me theres a few so here goes.

Matches that end suddenly ie. not by a big finnisher but a move that looks like it catched him out and "hurts" him.

Use of the Tag rope by heels to strangle the face team.

Stikes of anykind that look legit. that both the giver and taker sell it well, shaking off hand after a punch or selling head after headbutt.

Putting a guy in a hold that looks like it was a struggle/fight to get into. and looks even harder to get out.

Dragging a guy up from the mat rather than just guiding them up with the back of the head.

Being put in a pin and kicking out after the 3 count, cos the guy aint KOd he just couldnt get out of the pin in time.

Structure and reasons to a match, rather than just spot monkeys blantanly going through stuff they planned earlier.

Working a body part for a reason, seen matches where guy is working the wrist/arm only to finish on an ankle lock!!

Double downs that end before the 9 count.

Squash matches.

Face v Face match but neither turns heel during it.

Heel v Heel match same as above.

Just a few more that really impressed me...

Taker vs Michaels WM25 - Taker is down on the outside having taken a huge bump to the head on a dive. Firstly I loved Michaels begging him to stay down, some guys would just stand there but he really made you think he cared. Secondly, Taker is nearly gettin into the ring but falls backward into a seated position, holding onto the apron cover just at an 8 count. Really added the "omg he is gonna get counted out" factor to that moment.

NOAH Tag Matches - one thing I love, that lacks in a lot of places is realistic tag matches. I hate when someone is getting pinned and his partner just stands there watchin. I love it when the guys on the apron end up fighting on the outside trying to break up the inevitable pinfall. Adds drama and its realistically what you would do in a real match situation.

Facial Expressions.

there are alot of wrestlers, especially in TNA these days who dont have the facial expression fitting what they are doing.

main pet peeve on this one is when they have the guy in a submission hold and they are pulling back to add leverage but the face doesnt change.......your ment to be adding more strain, which will strain you aswell.

One thing I loved about Kobashi was when he was in a tag. The little bastard heel would give him a slap whilst he was on the outside and he would point over with slight annoyance. Second time he would get knocked off the apron and point over with a scowl... third time he would be on the apron, get a foot in the ring (being stopped by the ref) and point over at the guy with this "your gonna get it" look on his face. By the time he tagged in I was dying to see that little shit get the crap kicked out of him!

Archived