Small things that make a match great...

Michael_3165

Quick question... What small/subtle things make a wrestler/match great? Giving examples where possible...

I really believe that pacing is key for matches. Sometimes you see a match going 10000mph with 20 moves or holds in 30 seconds and it kills a match. Its like watchin transformers 1, can't remember any of it cos its all a big mess.

I really like tight looking lock ups and holds. Nothing worse than a Cena style STF.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I like those little things a wrestler can do that are unique to who they are wrestling, especially heels. Punk shouting "whats up?" in that mocking manner moments before he bulldogged Truth in the Rumble for instance.

Good selling too. Any time where a wrestler fails to hold a bridge on a German suplex because their leg is weak after being worked on, for instance.

Its like watchin transformers 1, can't remember any of it cos its all a big mess.

The only thing wrong with Transformers was too much humans being boring, not enough big robots fighting.

Putting a bit of effort into Irish whips!

I know it's possibly the most unbelievable and unrealistic move in wrestling, but you're so accustomed to it, you can easily accept it within the context of wrestling logic. But so many of them nowadays are just pathetic. Likewise with reversals, everyone should learn to do them like Jimmy Powers! :)

Continuing to sell after a match is over is a big thing for me. Nothing annoys me more than seeing a wrestler who seems to have the attitude of 'the match is over, so I can stop pretending to be hurt/exhausted now.' Give me someone limping and cringing their way to the back anyday.

Putting a bit of effort into Irish whips!

I know it's possibly the most unbelievable and unrealistic move in wrestling, but you're so accustomed to it, you can easily accept it within the context of wrestling logic. But so many of them nowadays are just pathetic. Likewise with reversals, everyone should learn to do them like Jimmy Powers! :)

On a similar note, i hate when wrestlers put so little effort when throwing someone to the corner. Sometimes it almost looks like the opponent just ran into the corner themselves.

Continuing to sell after a match is over is a big thing for me. Nothing annoys me more than seeing a wrestler who seems to have the attitude of 'the match is over, so I can stop pretending to be hurt/exhausted now.' Give me someone limping and cringing their way to the back anyday.

Although it's weird on vintage a lot of matches end with people kicking out on 3 & 1/2. So was around forever.

They played too much Wrestlefest as a kid :)

When the irish whip their opponent yet stay in the opposite corner for like a month. They look so much better when they run with them so that when the opponent hits the corner BAM.... the guys the straight away to give him a clothesline or stinger splash or whatever.

i honestly believe its all in the delivery and being able to remember what has just happened

for example if the match is 15 minutes long and for 13 minutes you have had your arm worked on

but your going over and your finisher is a stalling brainbuster and you win with that move that spoils a match and the wrestler because there Constancy is shit and the match means nothing. but when people do do it it adds to the match and dosent make the whole thing worthless

:)

• Paid Members

The Irish Whip thing pisses me off how wrestlers just back into ropes without any actually push, or just stumble into a corner because that's where their opponent needs them for their next attack... or conveniently end up draped over the middle rope in a matter that they wouldnt wrestling anyone else - because it's time to take a 619. It looks like crap.

Can I add, when a wrestler does a roll up type move, I miss when the guy being pinned moves his legs and arms like he's trying frantically to get out. Nowadays, I find people just lay there until they kick out or lose.

Archived