When was the first time you saw a foreign object used in a match?

Wendell Cooley

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those were the days, gimmicked foreign objects.

Agreed. I really hate some of the modern foreign objects that are used. An example would be that I have never been able to take Triple H's sledgehammer seriously. It's just too much for me to suspend my belief that someone can twat someone with such a ridiculous weapon and then they'd be back on the next show the following week. They might as well give wrestlers guns and knives.

Agreed. I really hate some of the modern foreign objects that are used. An example would be that I have never been able to take Triple H's sledgehammer seriously. It's just too much for me to suspend my belief that someone can twat someone with such a ridiculous weapon and then they'd be back on the next show the following week. They might as well give wrestlers guns and knives.

Hacksaw started taking down a 2x4 on advice of Bruiser Brody - its not a machine gun but itll still hurt

Hacksaw started taking down a 2x4 on advice of Bruiser Brody - its not a machine gun but itll still hurt

I wasn't knocking the hacksaw. Far from it. I think it's a great gimmicked weapon to use. Something that would hurt and has the potential to injure. Weapons like sledgehammers and Abyss's nail baseball bat are a bit too much.

• Paid Members

The first wrasslin I ever saw was WrestleMania VI, so I believe the foreign objects used would have been Savage bashing oldust with the sceptre, Hacksaw Duggan using his 2x4 on Dino Bravo to the disgust of Jesse Ventura (and myself), Mr Fuji using his cane on a Rocker, Perfect bonking Lucas Beefpiece with the Genius' metal scroll and that's possibly it.

That show set the stall very nicely and the precedents were set for the talents of the time that I loved (Savage, Harts, Perfect) and loathed (Dusty, Bushwhackers, Duggan), many of which were set in stone for years. That Duggan/Bravo match sticks in the mind for the being the first time I ever thought "ohhh, you can fuck off" and while I came to appreciate the work of some guys I hated in the beginning like Dusty and the Rabbi Beefpiece, I never took to Hacksaw in the WWF, and in WcW when he started using taped fists and that shite kneedrop, I hated him even more.

• Paid Members

What a great question. I can't remember which one I saw first but it will either have been Boss Man whacking Earthquake with the chair at SummerSlam 1990 or Savage smacking Warrior over the head with the sceptre at Royal Rumble 1991.

7 years old alone in a hotel room flicking through channels saw bossman cuff a jobber to the ropes and brutalise him. So vicious scared the shit out of me. Scarred, didn't watch wrestling for two years after that.

My mum almost ruined the wrestling for me after she burst out laughing when Demolition appeared, during, I think, Mania the sixth. After I questioned her mirth, she said, 'imagine your dad dressed up like that.' I thought they looked hard as fuck until then. The sadomasochistic influence of their costumes wasn't something I dwelled upon as a child, though.

• Paid Members
My mum almost ruined the wrestling for me after she burst out laughing when Demolition appeared, during, I think, Mania the sixth. After I questioned her mirth, she said, 'imagine your dad dressed up like that.'

My Mam said something similar, but she said "Remember when your Dad dressed up like that". It was a Christmas Eve we dont talk about much, in our house.

Boss Man wellying the shite out of Jim Powers on the Best of Saturday Nights Main Event. Evil bastard that Boss Man. Its no wonder they havent brought him back yet. Once they get rid of PG, he'll be back.

I don't think that'll happen.

• Paid Members
My Mam said something similar, but she said "Remember when your Dad dressed up like that". It was a Christmas Eve we dont talk about much, in our house.

I'm guessing he made up for it on Christmas Day by dressing like LOD?

Archived