When was the first time you saw a foreign object used in a match?

Wendell Cooley

For me it was Ricky Morton using a Steel Chair, or at least threatening to use one, during a Rock'N'Roll Express VS Doom tag match on the WCW show that used to be on late at night on ITV, back in the day. I remember thinking at the time, not being then familiar with wrestling tropes, how strange it was that someone would use a chair - of all things - as a weapon. I also thought it was cool as fuck, and Lance Russell's horrified reaction still sticks with me; 'Morton's got a CHAIR now!' As if the fabric of society itself was about to unravel.

A couple of weeks later Stan Hansen brought his lariat into the ring and I had to ask my parents what a 'lariat' was, but that's another story.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first ever show I saw was Mania 7 when I was 8 years old. As far as I can recall, the first foreign object shot in that is when the Nasty Boys win the Tag Titles over the Hart Foundation via a Jimmy Hart megaphone shot. That was the first time I'd seen a heel win, and I remember being really upset about it lol.

ric flair with the steelchair in the taker vs hogan match at ss91, always remember it well because when taker hits hogan with the tombstone all you here is *clink* when his head hits the chair.

Whatever weapon was used first during the Doom vs Windham and Arn Street Fight. Butch Reed slicing Windham open with his belt I think.

Starrcade '90? That was a good 'un. They were in their real clothes and shit! Pretty amazing for a pre-kayfabe 12 year old to witness. I also bladed my own forehead for the first time because I thought it looked so cool, after seeing that match. Even now, as an adult, with no desire for self mutilation, it's still in my top ten.

Archived