IWA Mid-South has new owners

Adorable Adrian

I know Ian Rotten is often regarded as a complete douche for many a reason but before it started having major problems in the mid 2000's it was a good company to be fair. I've still got a fair few of the dvd's and there are definately some very watchable shows. Jimmy Jacobs, Alex Shelley, Matt Sydal, Delirious, Tyler Black and Chris Hero, to name but a few, made their names there before ROH and others took notice of them. Im also pretty sure CM Punk started there before joining ROH in 2002. The TPI was indeed their flagship event along with the King of the Deathmatch of course. They also promoted women's wrestling fairly heavily and had many of the Shimmer girls on board before the former became its own promotion.

Correct you are and to be fair, when I spoke to Ian at the 2008 TPI he seemed like a pretty decent and down to earth guy. But you cant judge a book by its cover and if all the stories about him are true, which they appear to be, then i've very little (if any) respect for the guy at all.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

:laugh:

i was a bit of an IWA:MS mark back in my tape trading days, i even recall being mentioned on the commentary one show cause i was a regular poster on their forum, good times...of course i was a death match fanatic, so i'd be collecting loads of that shit from them, and i dabbled with the TPI stuff, i enjoyed it, although looking back to how much those guys put themselves through for the entertainment of around 100 fans live and probably another 100 on video is anyone's guess.

• Paid Members

I've not watched IWA:MS in ages. Like previous posters, I was a death match fan back in the day, my first exposure was a CZW tape I'd got from eBay, watched it, it finished, snowstorm for a bit, didn't turn it off and on came a few matches from IWA:MS TOD 2001.

I bought all the TOD's until 2004, enjoyed the TPIs and bought a few of their normal shows.

Then I around 2004/5 I just drifted out of American wrestling.

Back in 2004, I saw Lexie Fyfe at a wrestling show in Gateshead who I believe wrestled for IWA:MS at one point (in a match against Riptide AKA ECW's Prodigette, the bout was amazing!) I asked her "what's Ian Rotten like?"

Her answer, "crazy and scarred up!"

As an aside, I was a massive ECW mark from when I first saw it 1999 to around 2005, I happened to wearing an ECW t-shirt that night, Riptide caught my attention and came over to talk to me, even shared a beer, one of my favourite moments ever!! I felt like a kid, I was 24!

I think somebody said they were friends with a wrestler that worked that Gorefest tournament in 2006, I believe and it was them that bore witness to Ian shooting up in a toilet cubicle.

There's all kinds of crazy stories regarding IWA MS and particularly Ian Rotten. Hit up Billy Gram from CZW if you ever want to know any, he DESPISES Rotten. Even Mickie Knuckles hates him now and she once viewed him like a father figure. Naturally that was before they had that affair and Ian snapped and battered her

Best IWA:MS memory would have to be Punk on announcing duty. So much fun.

I also (like many others surely) regard TPI 2004 as one of the best indy tournaments in quite some time.

Joe, Strong, Nigel, Claudio, Punk, Styles, Dragon (both Super and American), Hero, Shelley and Aries. Just about the best roster you could assemble for a show at the time

Even Mickie Knuckles hates him now and she once viewed him like a father figure. Naturally that was before they had that affair and Ian snapped and battered her

Fuck me, so we have public smack use, adultery and incest in one foul swoop. Not to mention the domestics

The only thing that is worth anything is the tape library. The name of the promotion is a negative. It might just be worth another promotion doing the TPI tournament, although it's long been surpassed by PWG's Battle of Los Angeles. The deathmatch stuff ran it's course long ago.

Archived