You're Match of The Half-Year?

Ez Money

If I had to go back and watch one match from this year so far it'd probably be the Royal Rumble match. I quite enjoyed it, and in fact the second time I watched it back a few days after it was with my folks and they really enjoyed the SuperCenaSwaggle period of the match. They found it funny and entertaining and it made me look at the bout in a new-found light. Of course the CM Punk/Nexus domination, John Morrison spot, Santino goodness and the appearances of Booker T and Kevin Nash mean it should automatically be top of the half-year list.

Was just about to post this myself. 40 men could have made it a bit of a clogged up affair, but it was one of the best booked Rumbles ever, I think. The year before was also amazing, but only for Shawn Michaels, whereas this years had a ton of great stories throughout. Showtime has mentioned pretty much all the high points, and aside from that, I was over the moon they gambled on the winner. It's a shame they haven't followed it up like, but it was good to see the effort there in principle at least.

I thought it was a pretty awesome rumble.I'm sure i heard yeas ago that Pat Patterson was always in charge of booking the rumble match.Anyone know if this is right and if it's still the case?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if Mr Money actually bothered to watch the match that Butch nominated before getting on his high horse and sulking about his thread not being taken seriously?

I can't blame him for thinking that someone's taking the piss with McIntyre vs. Masters when the half-year has had Orton/Christian, Elimination Chamber and HHH vs. Undertaker to name a few that have been mentioned here.

I wonder if Mr Money actually bothered to watch the match that Butch nominated before getting on his high horse and sulking about his thread not being taken seriously?

I can't blame him for thinking that someone's taking the piss with McIntyre vs. Masters when the half-year has had Orton/Christian, Elimination Chamber and HHH vs. Undertaker to name a few that have been mentioned here.

Well it shows him up if he is throwing out comments and criticisms before actually watching the match.

He was also throwing out remarks about the UKFF and how posts like Butch's (recommending said match) do the forum no favours. I would also suggest Mr Money go to other boards such as DVDVR or Wrestling KO and see what they had to say about the match. Would he then criticise those boards because people there had nothing but praise and positivity for the match?

If he was only looking for people to talk about ROH, Davey Richards and New Japan, then maybe he should have posted this in his blog which is read by one man and his dog.

I don't know anything about him and I weren't defending him criticising the match if he's not seen it (that's an IF). I'm just saying having watched the match myself that despite it being alright as a TV match, I find it odd that the match has been thrown out there as a match of the half-year candidate. And Drew McIntyre and Chris Masters being two of the best in North America puzzles me too. I struggle to work out whether people are liking someone to that extent to be ironic - like the guy who's telling all and sundry that Mason Ryan is brilliant. I thought that McIntyre showed potential in the Elimination Chamber when he was being more aggressive but before then he was dull as dishwater. His feud with Teddy Long pretty much single-handedly stopped me watching SmackDown. I'd be all for him being given a push with his aggressive character but he'd need a big revamp on his monotonous promos too. I like that Masters has put the work in. In the ring, he's likable and puts on solid enough matches.

• Paid Members
I struggle to work out whether people are liking someone to that extent to be ironic

Well you couldnt figure out that Batista was one of the biggest stars of the last decade, so when it comes to spotting what interests anyone other than yourself, your a bit shite to be fair.

Trips/Taker by a country mile.

McIntyre/Masters in second (I don't rate Drew at all and fully believe that Masters carried him. Masters is such a terrible shame because he deserves the push now that he got in 2005 and he's arguably the best worker (sorry) in the entire company. To do what he does, especially when sometimes only given two minutes, is astounding considering how green he was when first brought up) and Christian/Orton from Over The Limit (?) - whichever one played off the spot where Christian lost the title in the first place - in third.

Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards can suck my cock.

I felt the love for the Masters/McIntyre match too. I'm proud to admit I'm a little bit gay for Masters, and McIntyre I think works well. The two had a tidy little match given ample time and told a riveting story.

I also liked Davey Richards vs. Roderick Strong from Honor Takes Center Stage (American spelling). It's probably not everyones tastes but it left an impression on me. also loved the Edwards vs. Richards match at Best in the World.

I struggle to work out whether people are liking someone to that extent to be ironic

Well you couldnt figure out that Batista was one of the biggest stars of the last decade, so when it comes to spotting what interests anyone other than yourself, your a bit shite to be fair.

You got that one right. Long winded as it was, I told everyone that Batista hadn't drawn a dime and that Paul London could sell more tickets if he were to headline than Dave Batista. Oh wait, it wasn't that was it? I thought that Brock Lesnar had drawn more money than Batista. I didn't say Batista didn't make money or draw, I just said that I imagined Lesnar had made more than Batista.

And you're means you are.

Chris Masters HAS been astonishing for a good amount of time now. I can't say I've ever thought he's done anything too spectacular, but for him to be as consistant as he has been takes a hell of a lot of talent, especially against the range of different opponents with the different amounts of time he has been given. I don't think it'd be too ridiculous a notion to suggest he's one of the best in the US at the moment. I'd love to see him in deliberate "show stealers".

I also liked Davey Richards vs. Roderick Strong from Honor Takes Center Stage (American spelling).

Really didn't like that match. Thought that the Eddie Edwards vs. Christopher Daniels match from the same night was very good though. Got a soft spot for O'Reilly/Cole vs. Kings of Wrestling from night two as well.

• Paid Members
You got that one right. Long winded as it was, I told everyone that Batista hadn't drawn a dime and that Paul London could sell more tickets if he were to headline than Dave Batista. Oh wait, it wasn't that was it? I thought that Brock Lesnar had drawn more money than Batista. I didn't say Batista didn't make money or draw, I just said that I imagined Lesnar had made more than Batista.

Thats not how it was at all. You were beaten into submission until your views were changed. The whole forum seen it. I have it on good authrority that they laughed at you on the paid forum. We had a good chuckle about it in the Raw Chat last week. PM's were even exchanged. It was a legendary mid-opinion turn after you swore blind that Batista (massive star, big money drawer and all that) wasnt as big a star as someone who didn't draw much at all on PPV, on television, merchandise wise or at live events. So work it out. The forum has united. There is no longer a PCC or Paido devide. We all high-fived over that one. Even me and SBA had our arms around each other chuckling at your mid-thread opinion turn.

I think it's a shame that a thread that should be full of positivity and shared tales of our favourite wrestling from the year is marred by the usual disrespect of people's opinions. People can like what they like, someone who loved a Superstars match is just as entitled to respect as an ROH fan is entitled to not be called a "fapper" every five seconds for liking Davey Richards matches.

As for my matches of the half-year, the top one for me would probably have to be Triple H vs Undertaker. I completely bought into the idea that Hunter could win, and some of the big spots were out of this world. I mark every time I see the two smash their way through the Cole-Mine, or when Triple H drops Taker with the tombstone. Just an excellent, dramatic match. I actually hope they don't have a rematch as I don't think they could better this, in the same way I don't think Mania 26's HBK vs Taker match was as good as Mania 25's.

My runner-up would have to be Takashi Sugiura vs Dave Mastiff from NOAH at Broxbourne. Again this is where the personal opinion thing comes in, as many would not even call it the best match on the show but I loved every single second. A big bastard taking a bunch of sick bumps at the hands of a smaller bastard, with a genuine world championship on the line. Wrestling perfection to my mind.

I'm pleased to see Drew and Chris getting the love it deserves. I wouldn't say it's my favourite match so far this year, but it's certainly top ten material, maybe top five. A great TV match, that's for sure, and just shows that they're both being wasted right now in dark matches.

My favourite match this year so far would probably be The Briscoes vs. The All Night Express from the 1st ROH Atlanta show over the Mania weekend. I'm not a huge ROH guy by any means, but this was an awesome bloody brawl that picked me up after I had legitimately fell asleep through most of a Chris Daniels match earlier on in the show. Watching it back on tape as well it really holds up, and Jay Briscoe is an awesome, arse-kicking prick in it. More of this and less "movez", please Briscoes.

Special mention would go to Negro Navarro and Black Terry vs. Gran Apache and Angel Mortal, the Smackdown Elimination Chamber (which could realistically be my favourite over the ROH tag, there ain't much in it) and Christian vs. Randy Orton from Over The Limit. Bully Ray vs. AJ Styles was pretty great too, and it Mike Tenay hadn't fucked up calling the finish, that might take the top spot. That might sound pedantic, but it made the finish a bit anti-climatic for me, whereas if it had been called properly, it could have been awesome.

Archived